A Chinese Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynx

Prince
I dont know what others think on this, probably because it never really has been brought up, but now i cant help it:

The fact that Mao is the leader of china just downright offends me, I dont like him, and his actions led to the death of 100 million people, not even Hitler (62M) beats him in how many have died by his actions, save religious figures (no offence intended). Perhaps Firaxis' choice in him being the leader comes from that he is the only leader that the people of today in the US can relate to. sadly, education about 'Eastern' Countries and especially china are minimal compared to the vast amount of knowledge you get about Europe. and the biggest part of the Chinese education happens to be in my opinion covering Mao's Communist revolution and China's tortured 20th century.

So who I ask would be a good repacement for Mao? I have many Ideas in my head but I Would rather hear other opinions as well as my own.

Would it be wrong if it was Laotse or Kungfutse. They are religious leaders, but at least Kungfutse had also political importance.

I think same goes to Cleopatra. Queen Hatsepsut would be better choice. But americans know only Cleopatra, so they put Cleopatra. Its same in everything, almost all wonders and buildings are also "western". (Colosseum, Leonardos workshop for instance. )

for some reason my Civ3 game has LiShiMin instead of Mao for China, it surprises me when i saw the screenshots on Civ3.com that it was supposed to be Mao all along. does anyone else have LiShiMin also?

We'll never agree with most of the leader choices, and that's that.

Ahem! :goodjob: I think Conusis, (sp??? I have on idea how to spell it,) the ancient phovebe guy, or SOMEONE from the ancient time, during the Pax Roma maybe?

Originally posted by Eastern Knight
for some reason my Civ3 game has LiShiMin instead of Mao for China, it surprises me when i saw the screenshots on Civ3.com that it was supposed to be Mao all along. does anyone else have LiShiMin also?

screen shot of the leaderhead?

Eastern Knight.

I think where you live might be important.

I heard China doesn't have Mao as the leaderhead (at least, not his name)

As for a leaderhead, I think it should be some leader from the time period of the unique unit. This person doesn't have to be an Emperor, but I don't know anyone from the period, so it doesn't matter who it is ;)

Emperor Qin who unified China and build completed the Great Wall of China? But he is a tyrant too plus he buried scholars alive and burn books.

Liu Bang, first emperor of Han Dynasty?

Yellow Emperor from the ancient times.

What about the accuracy of their UU.

I can't find any info, on the "Chinese Riders."

Is there a better UU, that would fit China???

Originally posted by Mr Black
What about the accuracy of their UU.

I can't find any info, on the "Chinese Riders."

Is there a better UU, that would fit China???

I know China used the Crossbow very effectively.

Although I do think that they used heavy cavalry, the name Rider doesn't seem to accurate, but I can't guarantee that.

lots of good emperors in the han,tang and ming dynasty's to choose from. han dynasty used crossbows in great numbers and the tang used lots of armoured cavalry. the ming had the worlds largest navy

Originally posted by jabancho
Sun Yat-Sen
He seems a much better fit...

why, he establish a republic in 1912, by 1913 he was exiled by it and died by 1924 not all that great to me? his main allies were chiang-kai-shek- a dictator and mao a comminest. most of sun's funding and supplies came from ussr--doesn't look like he built a better china to me:( he may of had great ideas but really great men put them into action and get results

Sun Yat Sen, for all his good vision, was never given the time to work effectively.

Han Wu-Di (made confucianism the basis for the state organization and thus defined imperial china) would probably be a better choice.

It disappointed me when I found out Mao was to be the leader of China... That of all the great generals and statesmen in that country's history they had to pick the one who brought communism to it (ALthough I suppose he was talented and determined in his own way, but there are so many, more colorful leaders to chose from). I'd have voted Cao Meng De, personally... But the Three Kingdom's period is basically where my knowledge of Chinese History begins and ends; I'm no authority on who the leader should be.

I'm afraid that in the case of leaders and world history, accuracy gives way to US domination. Mao is the worst possible choice for leader, along with Cleopatra. And Catherine isn't that great, either. Peter would be a better choice...

Unfortunately, though I love history of all parts of the world, my knowledge is severely limited by my location. Schools really emphasize American history, and my only other source, the History Channel, rarely gets past Europe. I find it quite irritating when other parts of the world, with history dating back for thousands of years, is tossed aside for one country that really isn't that great.

I go for Chi, he gave china its name.
What about Neffertity(?) for egypt.
Not ALL wonders are western, The Sun Tzu's arts of war(?) is form china during the WWII(?) and it was a book(?), anyway there are many wonder to put in the game but if we add all the wonders it is going to be: new tech, new wonder, so we don't want that do we? what we want is more techs, more ages

The Art of War is indeed a Chinesse book. But it doesn't come from WW II - the Art of War was written back in the BCs.

Louis XXIV:
what do you mean where i live? the better choice should be LiShiMin, he was one of the best emperors of China

Didn't you say that your game has LiShiMin anyway?

I was not arguing who was better. I was stating that I heard the Chinese version had a different leader than the US version. I was trying to explain the inconsistancy between the 2 versions. Most people (at least in the United States) have Mao as the leader of the Chinese.

When I asked you where you lived, I was wondering if that had something to do with the difference in your game. If you don't feel like telling me, I'm fine with that.

I wasn't stating that Mao was a better choice, simply that he was chosen in most versions of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom