A choice in the workers menu, to order them to bild streets everywhere

Mitsarakos

Chieftain
I like streets in my games and I want every tile of my civ have its street. But this takes time for me and for my workers. I think it would be a good idea to order a worker only once, to bild streets everywhere, with a choice in his menu. So at list I would not have to give again and again the same order.

I think they've said that roads are going to reduce the productivity of the tiles they are built on, so you're really not going to want to build them on every tile. They also give no movement bonus any more, just provide trade routes between cities.

Civ 5 is supposedly handling this to the opposite effect, roads decrease wealth/production/food output of tile they are built on, therefore eliminating road spagetti and anychance I think they'll give you your "roads everywhere" command

Also you could in Civ IV build roads everywhere with the trade network. I was something that looked very ugly on the map and reduced the strategic significance of raods considerably. I hope that there will be no such thing in civ5.

Also could you not just create a single thread for your ideas rather than spamming barely interesting threads?

Speaking of roads having negative effects in Civ 5, I think it's odd to actually reduce production and wealth on tiles with roads. If anything they should enhance production and wealth in their tiles, since connectivity makes it easier for farmers, traders and industry to reach their destination. I understand they might want to remove the tangled mass of roads and railways, but giving them negative effects isn't the best solution imo.

Maybe they should add distinct types of roads.
One basic "spammable" and less eye catching(think smaller textures) road improvement that is used to make your domain in general more accesible. This way you can move faster through your nation than usual but it won't uglify and dominate the view of your empire like it does now.

The other is type of road, the "improved" version of the standard road, this could be railroads, highways or maglev connections depending on era for instance. This type of road is not spammable and is used to connect your cities/strategic locations, just like in real life railroads and highways only run between major cities. Improved roads could grant bonusses to trade to connected cities, but they should not grant production/wealth bonusses in order to reduce the need for spamming. Some mechanic could be added to make sure the player would only want an efficient spider web like network of these roads between their cities.

Again the cost of building roads (not monetarily, but production and food) should get rid of this. Shurdus is right, perhaps creating one bigger thread than many smaller (though not uninteresting) threads
@Theon: Great idea!

I think they've said that roads are going to reduce the productivity of the tiles they are built on, so you're really not going to want to build them on every tile. They also give no movement bonus any more, just provide trade routes between cities.

Well that kinda sucks. What's the point to build roads if they reduce productivity/wealth/food? It increases trade? We'll have to play so many games in order to know exactly WHEN to build roads, when it becomes more beneficial than hurting... It will be again a game based on fail like Civ4.

Well that kinda sucks. What's the point to build roads if they reduce productivity/wealth/food? It increases trade? We'll have to play so many games in order to know exactly WHEN to build roads, when it becomes more beneficial than hurting... It will be again a game based on fail like Civ4.

I don't think it's that it increases trade, I think it ENABLES trade. As in a city with no connection to the road network doesn't have access to any resources.

As far as reducing tile quality goes, it will probably be something along the lines of tiles with roads cannot contain other improvements or something. So you'll want to build as few roads as possible so everything else can have farms etc. We've got no idea though, so perhaps it will just do a flat -25% production on the all aspects of the tile but still let it be improved.

You will still need the city to be connected to your road network though, to ensure that you're able to get the resources you need to actually build things.

They want to reduce "roads on every tile" and this is their solution. Will be interesting to see if it works - it will certainly make it easier to isolate cities during times of war to reduce their production capabilities.

Speaking of roads having negative effects in Civ 5, I think it's odd to actually reduce production and wealth on tiles with roads. If anything they should enhance production and wealth in their tiles, since connectivity makes it easier for farmers, traders and industry to reach their destination. I understand they might want to remove the tangled mass of roads and railways, but giving them negative effects isn't the best solution imo.

Maybe they should add distinct types of roads.
One basic "spammable" and less eye catching(think smaller textures) road improvement that is used to make your domain in general more accesible. This way you can move faster through your nation than usual but it won't uglify and dominate the view of your empire like it does now.

The other is type of road, the "improved" version of the standard road, this could be railroads, highways or maglev connections depending on era for instance. This type of road is not spammable and is used to connect your cities/strategic locations, just like in real life railroads and highways only run between major cities. Improved roads could grant bonusses to trade to connected cities, but they should not grant production/wealth bonusses in order to reduce the need for spamming. Some mechanic could be added to make sure the player would only want an efficient spider web like network of these roads between their cities.

roads in civ represent MAJOR roads, that take a lot of money and production to maintain

I think they should have just attached a maintenance cost to the roads, like say maybe 1 gold per length of road. Wouldn't you then not automatically build them everywhere to reduce costs? You'd only connect your cities and then only the inland ones that aren't connected by harbors.
Also, if they just connect your cities for trade, what's the point of even having roads anymore? Just assume that when your borders are connected between two cities, trade is enabled over land.

hmm I cannot find anything about this in the confirmed features thread, is there a review that I've missed reading?

Is this just a rumor or does someone have a link that states they are doing something to limit roads? Obviously from what ppl are saying we do not know exactly how they are going to do it, but where did someone say that they are doing it at all?

edit
I am in support of ending road spam though don't get me wrong, but it does seem strange to think of the complete opposite in which you would be moving through wilderness everywhere except main connecting roads, the opposite extreme.

hmm I cannot find anything about this in the confirmed features thread, is there a review that I've missed reading?

Is this just a rumor or does someone have a link that states they are doing something to limit roads? Obviously from what ppl are saying we do not know exactly how they are going to do it, but where did someone say that they are doing it at all?

edit
I am in support of ending road spam though don't get me wrong, but it does seem strange to think of the complete opposite in which you would be moving through wilderness everywhere except main connecting roads, the opposite extreme.

Farm aren't wilderness. Plus, if we can't use roads anymore for movement, it is because that was too much of an advantage for the defender i believe thus discouraging attack, particularly in modern eras.

click me.

Well that kinda sucks. What's the point to build roads if they reduce productivity/wealth/food? It increases trade? We'll have to play so many games in order to know exactly WHEN to build roads, when it becomes more beneficial than hurting... It will be again a game based on fail

More potentially failed mechanics based on the underlying 1 unit per tile system, yes.

They're seriously going to sacrifice an incredibly important strategic element for the sake of aesthetics? Unbelievable, If Firaxis is taking THAT direction, I just might not get the game.

Top Bottom