A CivMod I'd like to see: SM's Colonization

thelibra

Future World Dictator
It's probably fair to assume at least a few of you played Sid Meyer's Colonization back in the day. It was kind of like Civilization, but dealt only with the New World, and the timeframe was from "first settlement" to "end of Revolutionary War". You occasionally got specially skilled colonists, like a blacksmith, or a teacher, or doctors, or such, and built up an army. As time passed, taxes got levied on your nation that become higher and higher until you pretty much either had to declare revolution, or go bankrupt.

Anyway, I was thinking, this would be a great modpack for Civilization, if anyone was particularly interested and up to the task.

I've been thinking about this too, as i LOVED colonization!

Trying to roleplay colonize in civ in my games, but it cannot even remotely match the feeling of discovering the land, making the first landfall, discovering the pacific, the fountain of youth, ohmygod it gives me goosebumps.

I still hope they will start working on colonization 2 sometime :)

I would totally be on board for it.

I'm reminded of the game every time I hear Washington's diplomacy music.

Did you know there's a Colonization Forum here?

There's even an open-source clone around somewhere. I tried that one once, and it just didn't appeal to me for some reason. So yeah, a mod for Civ4 would be ideal.

Alas I loaned my copy to a "friend" over 10 years ago :(

I'm not sure how well it would work as a civ4 mod. But FYI, instead of hoping/begging for that, I suggest you could check out a game that came out lat '06 called "1701AD" or "AD1701" or "Anno 1701" (it was developed in germany & has differnt names in different markets). I consider it a cross between colonization and something like AOE, with a little civ and tropico thrown in, and a worthy complement/heir to all three in one's gaming library.

Added: description/review

Here's the clone!

http://www.freecol.org/

I love it. I've been playing it for 2 days straight now. On a whim, after writing the OP I did a search on "Colonization Game" in Google, found a free shareware clone of it. It's really good, actually. I've had a blast playing it again, and it's even more complex than I remember it being. It's considerably less polished than Civ IV though, which is fine, but I'd love to see someone Mod Civ IV for Colonization.

Yuck. I hated Colonization. After playing Civ1, it was a huge disappointment from Sid. Boring! Boring! Boring! You couldn't even abuse the natives.

Here's the clone!

http://www.freecol.org/

I love it. I've been playing it for 2 days straight now. On a whim, after writing the OP I did a search on "Colonization Game" in Google, found a free shareware clone of it. It's really good, actually. I've had a blast playing it again, and it's even more complex than I remember it being. It's considerably less polished than Civ IV though, which is fine, but I'd love to see someone Mod Civ IV for Colonization.

I didn't really get into FreeCol. I don't know, but the feel wasn't completely right or something. On the plus side it did have some interface improvements over Colonization. You can click on a native village to see what it demands, and what profession they can teach you.

I guess I'll give it another go soon. Perhaps I'll start to like it, who knows?

Don't forget Free Civ

SMAC and Freeciv was what lead me to buy Civ4 for my brother for Christmas and we've been hooked now.

LOL!!

How I miss that little carrack going across the ocean, and having to kiss the Old World Monarch's "Pinky Ring". Happy days!

I used to love the look on the Tupi and Iroquois faces when they were mad. Playing as the Spanish was particularly bloodthirsty, I remember.

Kids today, don't know they're born.........

Yuck. I hated Colonization. After playing Civ1, it was a huge disappointment from Sid. Boring! Boring! Boring! You couldn't even abuse the natives.

Ever play as Spain? Every native village was burned to the ground, and the survivors flocked to your colony as laborers.

Ever play as Spain? Every native village was burned to the ground, and the survivors flocked to your colony as laborers.

My favourite tactic. Find the Aztecs or Incas - Send the missionaries in, attack city, free labour and loot, and no pesky Indian raids during the rest of the game once you'd wiped them out :evil:

Top Bottom