A Conversation About The Pacing of Civilization 6

aeo1us

Chieftain
Does anyone else find the pacing of the game to be slower from previous Civilization games in the series? This is my single biggest complaint about the game. It does not feel like the player is accomplishing something major every few turns. I feel like Civilization 6 has the weakest "only one more turn" mentality of any Civilization series because the pacing is so slow.

For example, Scouts are impeded by terrain too easily. They should at least be able to cross rivers with ease either by default or with a level 1 upgrade. The Scout's hill and forest terrain upgrade should be combined. Upgrades are far too expensive. 200 gold to upgrade an archer to a crossbowmen is outrageous and the same can be said for many other units. Promotions should not require a movement point. What about learning enough to be promoted has anything to do with walking? If I walked to school, does that mean I learned how to improve my calculus ability more than sitting down?

The way I see it the game could be fixed with a few minor pacing tweaks. For example, districts are the equivalent of zoning. It doesn't take thousands of years to zone an area to be considered industrial or commercial. Look at SimCity's zoning. It's easy to zone, but can be difficult to grow. The same could be adapted for Civilization 6. Districts already have too many limiting factors like population, loss of tile yield, and loss of that tile itself, that adding extreme build times to them are unnecessary. Allocate district placement to builders. One shot, from a builder should zone a tile as a district. This would fall in line with how Settlers work. One shot from a settler zones a city centre district. Districts that have no child buildings should be placed under buildings or city projects and still require time to build, like Aqueducts and the Space Port. This would have the added benefit of nerfing the Aztec who are far too overpowered with their builder ability as the ability would only apply to Aqueducts and Space Ports. Builders also need the ability to demolish an undeveloped district to move it with or without the ability to zone districts.

Essentially, when I play this game it just feels so slow and boring compared to previous iterations of the series.

For me this is only true for movement and combat. It feels like it takes forever to move troops anywhere because of how harsh the terrain penalties are. I think the game plays much, much better if you give +1 movement to all units (including builders). That cuts down on clicking and ups the pace significantly. (Plus it makes scouts worthwhile, which is nice.)

However, in the economic side of the game, I don't feel like things move too slowly at all. Quite the contrary--I feel like I'm blitzing through the tech tree and never have time to settle into any era. You can enter the Medieval Era with your third tech! The very poorly balanced Eurekas and Inspirations contribute to the feeling of a rushed tech tree. If you mod the game to cut those to 25%, things start to feel about right again.

I think the gold costs and movement are a great change, and it is true that it slows the pace, but otherwise there is a bit of a tendency towards units flying all over the map incredibly fast and it makes unit choices a bit more important. I also believe they tried to offset this by making it much easier to produce military units as it is simply to field large armies quickly, again making production king in the game of Civ VI

Top Bottom