A Cost Analysis of Vista Content Protection, or ...

Padma

the Absent Admin
Administrator
Supporter
Can Microsoft Shoot Themselves In The Foot Any Worse?

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt

If this ever gets into place, you are going to hear computer users screaming from one side of this country to the other. (Hopefully, other countries won't let MS get away with anything this absurd.)

Im sticking with XP. Vista-tan looks a bit high maintenance :ack:.

I hope the text is greatly exaggerating. There is no way i am going to use a system with this kind of "content protection". Sheer madness. What worries me most is that it will not only lead to a crippled OS, but will screw up the hardware market as well.

I'm hoping it is exagerating, but from what I have come to know about the author, at best it is a "worst-case" scenario, with the assumption that everything MS says they want to have with Vista actually comes true.

One thing it *might* be, is a ploy by MS, where they demand the incredibly outrageous, and then 'back off' to the merely outrageous, and people think they've "won"....

Waoh, I read it quickly, but I really wasn't unaware of their will to control media distribution, like Apple is doing today with iTunes. But it sure makes sense. Once again they're late, and once again they take the idea from someone else. :mischief:

The very annoying bit is the way hardware will get more expensive than normal, because everyone is trying to reach Vista's standards. Basically, Microsoft here is trying to pull all the strings of the market at once, they really get us by the balls. Maybe I'll buy my next PC in China ?

All the more reason to install Linux instead of Windows. Speaking of which, my Ubuntu CD's have arrived

All the more reason to install Linux instead of Windows. Speaking of which, my Ubuntu CD's have arrived
I upgraded my Ubuntu Dapper Drake to Edgy Eft this week (downloaded the upgrade, took me like 6 hours to get through), just because I needed a newer kernel for my uni project. :mischief: Anyway it's done.

"Funny" to talk the most about Linux on the website which features the very reason why I can't quit Windows, namely Civ4. :crazyeye:

Executive Summary
-----------------

Windows Vista includes an extensive reworking of core OS elements in order to
provide content protection for so-called "premium content", typically HD data
from Blu-Ray and HD-DVD sources. Providing this protection incurs
considerable costs in terms of system performance, system stability, technical
support overhead, and hardware and software cost. These issues affect not
only users of Vista but the entire PC industry, since the effects of the
protection measures extend to cover all hardware and software that will ever
come into contact with Vista, even if it's not used directly with Vista (for
example hardware in a Macintosh computer or on a Linux server). This document
analyses the cost involved in Vista's content protection, and the collateral
damage that this incurs throughout the computer industry.
Or, if you prefer:
Executive Executive Summary
---------------------------

The Vista Content Protection specification could very well constitute the
longest suicide note in history.

Edit: Gee, thanks. After I went to all that trouble,too. ;)

Just even upgrading from XP to Vista is just too much of a headache (I installed the Avisor thingy). I meet the hardware, but apperently I have a ton of programs that I need to uninstall and/or find updates for them :ack:. Are they mad that I have to unistall McAFee?!?!

An upgrade to me would make me go:

Ualuealuealeuale!

To provide a more useful summary:
____________________________________________________________________________________

Playback / Functionality
Vista's mechanism only allows protected content to be sent over interfaces that also have content protection. If you've invested a pile of money into a high-end audio setup fed from a digital output, you won't be able to use it with protected content. Same with video. Also, what you *do* have may be played in a highly degraded state, because the CP scheme won't permit high-end output of non-protected material.

"Amusingly, the Vista content protection docs say that it'll be left to graphics chip manufacturers to differentiate their product based on (deliberately degraded) video quality. This seems a bit like breaking the legs of Olympic athletes and then rating them based on how fast they can hobble on crutches."

Elimination of Open Source Hardware Support AND Unified Drivers
In order to prevent emulation of protected output devices, all hardware specs must be confidential. No opening up of APIs, or anything like that. And, since each device driver will need its own "fingerprint", to be identified as a "protected" device, each driver will have to be unique. In other words, if you buy a new nVidea card, you have to get a specific driver for it. If you change cards, you can't use the same driver, even if it is current - you have to get the driver for *that* card.

Denial of Service / Decreased Reliability
If driver gets compromised, MS can revoke the signature for that driver, and, thanks to automatic updates, that device is effectively disabled throughout the world, as soon as the update is applied.

ALso, devices must set "tilt bits" in the system, so that if anything seems *funny* the system can (and will) shut the device down.

Increased Costs
All this new crap means that hardware will be more expensive, so we can pay for the privilege of getting screwed. Also, much of the technology involved here is patented by 3rd party vendors, so royalties will have to be paid, which further increases the cost.

Increased Resource Consumption
In order to prevent tampering with in-system communications, everything will need to be encrypted and/or authenticated. That chews up a *lot* of CPU resources. So much so, that other chips will have to take up the slack. For instance, there isn't enough CPU to decompress a high-end video stream, and encrypt the resulting uncompressed data stream toi the video card. So the card will have to do much of the decompression. Even a "low-end" graphics card will need to have decompression and codec support built in.

"The worst thing about all of this is that there's no escape. Hardware manufacturers will have to drink the kool-aid in order to work with Vista: "There is no requirement to sign the [content-protection] license; but without a certificate, no premium content will be passed to the driver". Of course as a device manufacturer you can choose to opt out, if you don't mind your device only ever being able to display low-quality, fuzzy, blurry video and audio when premium content is present, while your competitors don't have this (artificially-created) problem."

Could we send Microsoft to the International Court of Justice (or whatever you call it there) in The Hague, and charge them with "deliberate attempt to plunge the whole world into recession" ?

Could we send Microsoft to the International Court of Justice (or whatever you call it there) in The Hague, and charge them with "deliberate attempt to plunge the whole world into recession" ?

Only if you have the money backing from the other top 10 richest families in the world.

Whoever dreamed up all that must have been out of their mind. I doubt that hardware manufacturers will dance to the beat microsoft is playing but if it's really coming to this I'll switch to Linux and play games on a console.

Isn't Microsoft already on the court like... al the time? They just have enough money to "influence" the judges :)

Top Bottom