A Couple of 'Legal' Questions

Nichlenm

Chieftain
Hi all. After a long weekend of finally playing Civ 6 i'm planning to release a mod to increase the number of cultural great people in the game. Iv'e been creating possible lists of people and corresponding works and i've been considering a couple of situations.

Firstly: In regards to art, am I allowed (on Steam and on Civfanatics) to include art that depicts breasts and other 'nether regions'. I am talking about including art such as THIS statue, and THIS portrait. What's the situation here?

Secondly: In regards to music, am I even allowed to do this at all? For example, I have Michael Jackson on my list as a potential Great Musician, am I allowed to include a small clip from his catalog? (Under 30 seconds?) Or would this be in breach of copyright or other laws? I dont know enough about this stuff to be sure either way.

I'd be grateful if one of the smarter folks on this fine forum can answer either of these questions for me.

Sadly copyright laws are very different all over the world.
In the US for example there is something called "fair use" and using artworks this way is allowed. In other countries it is not forbidden, but you could be sued (and even if you would be granted the right to use the files it would be a very expensive legal battle).
If you want to be on the safe side you should only pick artwork that is either in the public domain or ask for permission by the copyright holder.

Concerning nudity again there are very different rules. In Germany for example there is nothing wrong with depicting nude people (not detailed pictures of genitals or intercourse, that is regulated to protect children), in the US some companies consider even breast feeding something that needs to be censored (looking at you, Facebook!).
No simple solution here, you have to decide for yourself. Nobody has to install the mod if he/she doesn't like it though.

Top Bottom