1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A couple of quick questions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by herald, Nov 5, 2005.

1. herald

herald Chieftain

1. How do you upgrade units? Beyond having the correct resources, what else is required. I have units I would like to upgrade, but their upgrade button remains dark.

2. I have just gotten Universal Suffrage (via the pyramid). How do you spend gold to hurry production of units and buildings?

2. Abacus

Abacus Chieftain

1. You need a barracks in the city where the unit is, and, of course, the gold to pay for it.

2. Gold rushing is the top right button in the array of buttons in the lower right corner of the screen. It too is greyed out if you don't have enough gold.

3. JimmyBond

JimmyBond Chieftain

When you point the cursor at the upgrade button it will tell you how much gold it costs. You probably don't have enough.

In city screen look at the button just above the automate city manager button.

4. Azragaul

Azragaul Chieftain

I do not think you need a barracks any more to upgrade units. The units simply need to be within your borders to be upgraded. You just need the right amount of gold and the resources/techs to do the upgrade.

For example if you have the gold and the tech for axemen but no copper the upgrade for your warrior would be greyed out, even if you had the pyraminds which allowed universal sufferage. You would be provided the choice. The most common reason I see the upgrade icon and it is greyed out is because I do not have enough gold.

5. Ruffin

Ruffin Warlord

Don't need to be in a city with barracks (unless I missed a function of some wonder or other). I've had no problem upgrading my units in the field.

It may be that you need more than one tech for some units. Both techs say it gives you the unit, but you need both. Modern Armor is like that, I think.

6. QiZhe

QiZhe Warlord

Not sure about neutral land, but you can't upgrade in someone else's territory, even if they're your teammate in a team battle.

7. Khaim

Khaim Prince

It has to be in your borders.