1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A Curious Question

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Macintosh' started by AspyrRyan, Sep 25, 2011.

1. AspyrRyan

AspyrRyan Prince

Based on how we test, how I play at home, and what I see through tech support, I'm sure I've got a skewed perspective on how people play Civ. So I'm curious: What map size, game speed, and how long in real time does it take for you guys to play a game of Civ?

I'm usually on Standard speed, Small/Standard map, and about 4-5 hours per game.

2. narmox

narmox Emperor

Marathon / Small / 12 civs / 12 city-states (sometimes they can't all fit and there's fewer of htem though) / 4-10 hours per game (takes a couple of evenings). This is on a 2010 Macbook Air, plays comfortably especially in strategy view after the ancient era, when the map gets busy.

I play a few of those then stay away from the game for a few weeks/months otherwise I go crazy or effectively become a hermit lol.

Narmox.

3. Ximphron

Ximphron Chieftain

I usually do standard speed, standard map, and get he same as you with 4-5 hours, maybe a bit more. I play about an hour or a bit more a night and it takes around 4 days to complete a game.

Sometimes I do a duel map on standard speed, usually takes half an hour as I do a military rush.

4. markovnikov

markovnikov Chieftain

usually standard and standard. I get the feeling I take longer to finish a game then many here though. It depends on the win condition im going for, but its not unusual for me to take a week or so, averaging 2-3 hours a day.

5. OmegaKabob

OmegaKabob Le Just Derpin' Around ~

Quick, Small or Standard, and maybe about 3-4 hours depending if I wanna zoom for a win or savor the experience :)

6. Premier

Premier Dept of Isthmi & Tombolos

Standard speed, Large map, 6-8 hours, generally over a 2 week period.

Time & Science Victory disabled.

7. cf_nz

cf_nz Prince

Huge map (with 21 civs and extra city states), standard speed. Not really sure about game time, it usually spans a week or two playing when I feel like it.

8. josephgerth

josephgerth Chieftain

The only constants in my formula is that I always play on epic with the same standard rules (ancient era start, any victory, etc).

Everything else, such as map size, map type, and civ, I change around. I try to get as many achievements as I can, sure, but more than that I want to play the game from the many different perspectives that there are. Which is precisely why I love CiV, every game is unique.

9. Asderfut

Asderfut Chieftain

On an early 2008 iMac, I play huge maps with 16 CSs, standard speed, it usually take 6-8 hours, although that's hardly a scientific measurement.

10. ASH31

ASH31 Chieftain

Standard speed, standard to large maps, 8-10 hours per game over the course of a week.

11. CGPanama

CGPanama Warlord

Usually Standard Speed (occasionally Quick); Not including scenarios, I play Huge maps with the Perfect World Map mod; ancient era game start; disable diplomacy and time victories; gameplay takes one to two weeks (not sure how many hours as it is often mixed with family duties but probably about an hour per night, a bit more on weekends).

12. dojoboy

dojoboy Tsalagi

Standard speed with most often small maps. Unsure about time, but 4-5 hours sounds good.

13. Lachlan

Lachlan Great Builder of Civs !

Generally i use Standard Size Maps, sometimes i try Huge but it's too slow to draw the map...

I play also generally, Standard Speed but sometimes i try Marathon...

I prefer playing with 20-22 Civs without any city-states...

And full barbarians...

14. Crimmey

Crimmey Chieftain

I play huge maps, 22 civs, 28 city-states. It'll usually take me about a week to finish, playing on and off.

If the map slows down, or the graphics get twonky, I'll just play in strategic view for the night.

15. Helmling

Helmling Philosopher King

Huge, 22 Civs and 28 CS. Emperor (though that will change with the next patch). Regular speed (I played marathon on Civ 4, but on 5, things just feel too slow that way). I rarely play a game to its conclusion, so my play times per game vary widely. I usually play until I'm satisfied with the nation I've created or until I get annoyed by constant AI warmongering.

16. Helmling

Helmling Philosopher King

Yeah, in late game, I have to do that, too.

17. Icono

Icono Chieftain

Standard size/speed, usually takes me about 8-9 hours over a week to sort it. Sometimes less if I have a good start, and sometimes more if I screw something up (which I do a lot :lol:)

18. iMAniaC

iMAniaC Chieftain

I can only answer for the way I've been playing Civ4, because I haven't played Civ 5 too much yet, but the game experience I've had from Civ4 is what I'm hoping for in Civ 5 as well, so the question may remain pretty much the same.

I usually play either hot seat with my girlfriend or internet multiplayer with my girlfriend and sister (yes, me and my gf prefer hotseat over LAN!). We always play on Huge map size, marathon speed and each game lasts about 16 hours ± a couple of hours. It takes approximately three gaming sessions which, depending on how busy we are, takes everything from one weekend to several months.

The few games I've started in Civ 5 have been marathon speed, but medium sized maps, because they are my first playthrough. First impressions are that marathon is a little too slow and medium is a little too small, but that may change as I learn the game better.

19. Frederico

Frederico Chieftain

Epic Small Pangaea. Perhaps 20 hours per game.

20. coffee junkie

coffee junkie Tech Hippie

Epic Large Map : around 10 civs / 16 to 20 city states = 10/12 hours

Better to restart the game around 1900 BC ... ( iMac quad, 1024 ATI graphic card )