A deal where you paid ..... gold per turn has come to an end ?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Greasy Dave, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Greasy Dave

Greasy Dave Prince

The last couple of games I've been getting this message every so often:

"A deal where you pay -civ's name - gold per turn has ended"

And my income would increase slightly.

The first time it happened I ignored it. I was a bit a bleary eyed anyway and figured that I must have made a deal I couldn't remember about.

But then it happened twice in a game I was playing last night. And the second time I thought, "hang on, what deal is that?" I NEVER make trade deals where I pay gold per turn to a civ. I simply never do it. IT's not my playing style.

So what's going on? Is this a bug? Or is there something else connected to religion, some follower thing that I've not factored in? I can't work it out. TO me it seems like a bug. But befoer I report it as one I thought I'd write and ask for feedback.

Thanks

2. Harv72b

Harv72b Prince

Was it maybe part of a peace settlement, or an extortion attempt that you gave into?

Never had that happen in any of my games, not just randomly like that.

3. thadian

thadian Kami of Awakened Dreamers

did you ask for gold but not see a 1-2 gpt counter that you accidentally accepted? Or a trade that you re-haggled 2-3 times and it could have been tacked on but you didn't notice?

I only offer GPT (or even consider paying it at all) if i want a "lump sum loan" from the AI that i am about to DOW on, canceling the GPT.

You know, in a "free market" system, you would still be paying that GPT even when you went to war. thoughts?

4. Babri

Babri Emperor

Now that is cheating. And then they say game is too easy. :rolleyes:

5. Miravlix

Miravlix King

Your not reporting if you deal history doesn't contain a GPT deal or not, so we have no evidence if your an old geezer that can't remember or something weird is going on.

So go into diplo and check the deal pages and get real evidence.

6. thadian

thadian Kami of Awakened Dreamers

It's cheating the AI gets so many free buffs! What else will it do, refuse to upgrade it's units and pay me tribute to "plx kind sir, plx stop... HELP PK PK!!"

Im just saying i wouldn't oppose being forced to "pay the bank" even when war is declared to prevent it from working - but even then, it will just beg for forgiveness... Ive learned to watch the AI gpt progress and wait to offer/accept peace at the time when it has the most gold.

7. Greasy Dave

Greasy Dave Prince

:lol:
    It hadn't occured to me to check that. I'll have a look when I remember where I put my teeth .

;);)

8. Miravlix

Miravlix King

Maybe memory isn't the problem if you use your teeth to see.

9. Olleus

Olleus Deity

Play at a lower difficulty then? It must be more satisfying to win Emperor fair and square than cheese your way to an Immortal win.

10. Sporaticus

Sporaticus Drooling Barbarian

Nah, it's reasonable and justified payback for all the dirty tricks the AI plays. An AI with alot of cash will not hesitate to offer an RA deal to get the last of mine, then DoW. I've also had a "Friend" beg me for free gold and DoW.

The AIs are filthy, backstabbing, deceptive godless vermin, they deserve to be abused frequently and repeatedly.

11. Sjarrel

Sjarrel Chieftain

While I think it's fair game to back-stab like that, it should be registered as just that, giving you an extra diplomacy modifier or something.

12. Tokira

Tokira Warlord

To OP: Are you sure that you weren't simply selling the gold as a luxury resource to the other civs? The raise in your gpt could be caused by other reasons like population growth, new tile improvements, new policies, wonders or buildings and etc.

As for robbing the AI's gold before a DOW, I do it as well. It is not cheating in my books. I only bother doing it in early wars if the AI is much stronger than I am (which is always the case on immortal and deity) and if I feel that the AI is going to DOW me soon. It is quite fun to sell them all my luxury resources and see them cancelling the deal by DOWing me on the same turn when they paid 1000g for the resources. It is their stupidity, not mine.