1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

A decade of Civ IV - Thank you!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by kiwitt, Oct 26, 2015.

1. derflensburger

derflensburger Chieftain

Same for me: played CIV-II and III and am still playing CIV-IV happily...

bought and tried CIV-V... and have played CIV-IV again ever since...;-)

Thanks a lot for my absolute favourite game!

2. Ambidexter

Ambidexter Edjumacated Idjit

I played Civ IV for years and enjoyed it immensely. I downloaded Civ V, it was kinda-sorta okay in a beta game way, got patches and upgrades, but didn't get any more enjoyment out of the game. So I went back to Civ IV. I haven't touched Civ V in over a year. I've just reached the Renaissance in my Civ IV (Realism Invictus) game.

3. Sourdough

Sourdough Chieftain

Wow, hard to believe it's been 10 years. In that time my son grew up (I originally bought it "for us") and I'm still trying to beat Monarch consistently! :)

4. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

It's amusing how I've always this feeling that Civ4 was released "rather recently" - like 2010 or 2011 now.
    I really have to stumble upon such thread to realize just how old the game is. It just doesn't get old.

Love, Civ4, for being the very best in a (near) flawless serie, and the countless hours you stole !

5. Colon

Colon King

A high water-mark in gaming.

6. Macksideshow

Macksideshow Prince

quoted for truth

7. Tryhard

Tryhard Chieftain

Been on Civ 4 since 2009. Spending time on Fall from Heaven 2. Wonderful, but stupid AI again.
    Once you master magic and manage to save your best fighters, you become a bulldozer.

8. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Simperator Knoedel

Have you tried the More Naval AI modmod? Its whole point is to improve the AI. In fact I would recommend the Magistermod, which itself is a modmod of More Naval AI.

9. Mizar

Mizar IM

I've already the 3rd generation of computers in the in the lifespan of this game.
    that says everything.

10. Tryhard

Tryhard Chieftain

I love you too. If I search in the downloads under Naval AI, will I get the thing?
    Thank you anyway. I want this one.

I started Civ with a 286 AMSTRAD and 20M Hard drive.

11. Imp. Knoedel

Go here for MNAI or here for Magistermod.

12. Colon

Colon King

Do those mods make the AI attack the enemy's cities during wars?

13. Imp. Knoedel

Probably? I do know from experience that the AI in MNAI can be ridiculously aggressive, so much so as attacking you with two warriors and one adept if you have a newly founded city on their border defending by only a single warrior.

14. Mizar

Mizar IM

I was talking only about civ4 (theme of this thread) ;)
    but yes, an amazing time since civ1 has passed too.

15. Colon

Colon King

Sounds good. Maybe I'll give FFH2 another go.

16. Tryhard

Tryhard Chieftain

I'll try that too.

17. TheUndeadFish

TheUndeadFish Chieftain

This is by far the game i put the most hours into not including FFXI. I had to have atleast 2k hours in my cracked version. I'm not sure what caused me to dl it through steam, but it was the best however many dollers i spent on it in terms of fun/doller spent value I am over 1k hours in the steam version now. Piracy in this case helped me support this franchise. The only reason i bought BE and its expansion was to support 2k games l will never install or play it anyways.

Definitely my 2nd most favorite game of all time based on hours played. I have bought atleast 5-6 copies for various friends which i have a lot of fun playing with every couple months or so. When i started i played only on monarch and won maybe 20% of my games, now i can win 50% of them on immortal. Its been a fantastic 8 years for me. Hopefully in another 8 i might be a diety level player.

18. Imp. Knoedel

Word of advice, you might not want to mention privateering on the virtual sea in any shape and/or form in this forum.

19. covok48

covok48 Emperor

Got mine through Steam recently, if only to track my hours played. I'm over 1,400 hours. God knows how many I have for my retail copy.

20. Tryhard

Tryhard Chieftain

I doubt that there are half a dozen people on this earth who have spent more time than me on Civ.