A decade of Civ IV - Thank you!

Civ IV was the best in the whole series... I bought the newer stuff, and it's the most un-played crap for my iPad.

Every 2 years though, I pull out the original Panzer General series and do the campaigns back to back. Can't say the same for Civ IV... the community (most of it) has moved on... kind of empty now.

I miss people telling me what I'm doing wrong and how I'm supposed to be doing everything.

My main question is, moved on to what? :confused:
TELL ME WHERE THE BETTER STRATEGY GAME IS! :please::please::please:

Beyond Earth has 4,000 posts in the Strategy and Tips Section.
Civilization 4 has 470,000.

I miss people telling me what I'm doing wrong and how I'm supposed to be doing everything.

Erm, go into the Strategy and Tactics forum? :confused: It's not dead by any means you know.

Imp. Knoedel, obsolete was expressing his sometimes odd sense of humor. He is one of the legendary CIV Deity experts.

Great time with Civ... And right today I got win I was looking for some time already (more mental way - not easy to play game when 70% of time is spent waiting until my crappy laptop will finish another turn.. but good thing - I can read books while playing civ4 :D ):)
This was Deity/Huge/Conqest/Mara no-tech trading game on Archip map type... 1st war I started in late 800 AD to get MoM for longer Golden Age from TajMahal.. So it was only after ~1000 AD I actually went into war mode... but after that it was war after war until finally got it done by 1574 AD
It totally wasn't rush for best date or best gameplay - I was running US from moment I built Pyramids (totally unefficient way :D ). I never used Draft option (Burea all the way), My capital was Moai+Heroic Epic city, giving me 1,4 Rifles/turn (same time producing 450 beakers/turn :D not bad military city), I settled all GP (except these for 3 golden ages), but I knew what I was doing "bad way" and it felt so great because it worked out anyway...
What it was more about - I wouldn't be able to do this without all learned and knowledge I got here. I could do better but that would be more like "job to do" not "fun to get". :)
But now I know that with CIV nothing is impossible.

I was a big Civ 3 fan, but never bothered to get very good at it. I didn't visit the forum, and had no real strategy. My younger brother knew how much I loved playing it, though, and got me Civ IV for Christmas right after it came out. He was 20 and in the Marines. Fast forward 10 years and we are both fathers, and STILL playing. I have managed to have the game installed on all of my work computers, and I can sneak a couple of turns in everyday when it gets slow. That's been through 3 different jobs.

I can't imagine a game ever capturing my attention like this one has. Especially since I really don't play any new games nowadays.

. So I continue to play and mod Civ IV, even on my new Windows 10
I recently posted my tale of woe about trying to play Civ4 and Warlords on Windows 10 (although BtS works fine). I've decided to take my desktop PC to the Geek Squad at BestBuy and have Windows 7 reinstalled (Civ4 isn't the only problem I find) while removing any trace of Windows 10. That will give me access to the whole Civ4 family (plus other things).

Still, as a matter of curiosity, how did you get Civ4 to work on Windows 10?

I only play BTS ... so I have no problem.

I recently posted my tale of woe about trying to play Civ4 and Warlords on Windows 10 (although BtS works fine). I've decided to take my desktop PC to the Geek Squad at BestBuy and have Windows 7 reinstalled (Civ4 isn't the only problem I find) while removing any trace of Windows 10. That will give me access to the whole Civ4 family (plus other things).

Still, as a matter of curiosity, how did you get Civ4 to work on Windows 10?

Windows 7 has the same issues with Warlords and vanilla. (or any other game that uses the banned copy protection)

Just go to GCW and use a non-CD-crack. I strongly believe that this is legal, if you own the game, because GCW uses that as a justification why they offer those cracks.

I bought BTS way back in 2008 or whenever it came out. I've long since lost the game disc but I use a no-cd crack to run the game and it works fine. Just have to make sure the crack you're using is compatible with the patch you're using.

Never stopped playing it, though I stopped posting here for quite a few years. Based on sheer hours logged and years played, I have to rate this as the best game I've ever played, bar none. It is faaaaaaaaaaaar superior to civ5 imo. I've enjoyed 5 at times (not at launch, that is for sure), but I've never gone back to it in the same way as I have with 4, which I consider a near-flawless game. If 4 were to have received one more expansion improving AI and a few other things, like balancing the traits a bit more and the tech tree a bit more, it would be flawless.

I like 4 and 5. But my favourite is 4.
Because in Civ there must be a big battle.
In 5 the challenge of a big battle is to find a good place for my units ... And looking at the number of units ... there are no big battles possible in 5 at all.

10 years of cIV! The best of the Civ series and one of the best computer games of all time. I'm going to have to play again soon. :D

So it's been like 10 years, will they ever make a sequel to Civ IV?

Well, there are numerous modders working day and night to salvage Civ5, I'm sure they will have made a halfway decent game out of it in another year or two.

Top Bottom