1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

A different audience?

Discussion in 'CivRev - General Discussions' started by Optimizer, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Optimizer

Optimizer Sthlm, SWE

So far we know very little about CivRev.

It will be console-based, and the graphics will be very cartoonish. Apparently the game aims towards a younger, more mainstream audience.

Will this be a problem? Will we lose strategic depth, historical realism and customizability from Civ 4?

2. cubsfan6506

cubsfan6506 Got u

No we lost all of that stuff in civ4. We will find no traces of what was still left from ci3.

3. Sisiutil

Sisiutil All Leader Challenger

Oh, boo-hoo. :rolleyes: ;)

4. Dezzilisk

Dezzilisk THIS GUY.

Civ 4 is a far cry from civ3 which had many things wrong with it but to be honest i enjoyed more.

I doubt ill play CivRev

5. polyphemus

polyphemus join the long blue line

This game is a revamped version of CIV 4 aimed at those that want toplay civ4 yet their computer does not allow it. I know I will get the game...

6. Xavier Von Erck

Xavier Von Erck Chieftain

This game is targeted towards 12 year olds and people like Paris Hilton.

They got the first five letters right in CivRev. Instead though, it should be CivRetards: Civilization for ******s.

Moderator Action: Warned! - Trolling
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

7. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

Don't underestimate 12-olders.
    I had 12 years when I started playing Civ1.

And truth to be told, Civ1 is much more simpler then, for example, Civ3 or Civ4.

As someone much older I can appreciate more complex games like Civ4, but I don't know would've I started playing Civ then, if it was like now.

8. Veggiehater

Veggiehater Chieftain

I for one am cautiously optimistic and very excited to try out a portable version of Civ (DS version I'm looking at you!)

9. Cilpot

Cilpot Pretentious Schmuck

Each game added more depth. How can people say that Civ IV is more shallow than Civ III ? Because of more saturated graphics? To me it just sounds like the old tiring fanboy-whining. The same that came from the II-fanboys when III was released.

I for one am going to enjoy CivRev. Even if it makes me a ******, Paris Hilton or a 12-year old :)

10. Dezzilisk

Dezzilisk THIS GUY.

I'd rather be a ******ed 12 year old than Paris hilton:lol:

11. CloudedSun

CloudedSun Chieftain

Can't judge it until we see it. And I don't think it'll be a problem if it is less complicated than Civ III or Civ IV. After all, isn't Civ a broad church? There's nothing wrong with having a hard core version like Civ IV for the serious player, and a lighter version for those new to the game. After all, we don't disrespect someone now just because they like an older version or because they never play at deity.

I for one am going to welcome all the CivRev players as comrades when the game arrives.

12. SG-17

SG-17 Chieftain

From the videos Ive seen, it is like Civ4 but plays much faster, like an hour and a half for each game, I hope you can adjust it.

13. Lachlan

Lachlan Great Builder of Civs !

Bah if Revolution is Civ with more fun, why not ?

i loved CTP which was more fun than even Civ 4, this Civ 4 who has all stollen to CTP ;)

14. morikaweb

morikaweb Chieftain

It sounds like a fun game. Finally something worthy to play on my Wii well I sit and wait for RPG's to be released.

I just hope it has different mode's like Civ IV so people who want a fast and easy game can have it, and people who want a long slow haul (like me :) ) can have that too.

15. Endwar 005

Endwar 005 The lolrus

I second that, for sure! An hour and a half is wayyy too fast.

The only problem, for me, of bringing this to a console it that i'll have to get the console :lol:

16. grahamiam

grahamiam In debt to Mr. Geisel

ditto. I don't like many of the strategy games currently available for the DS, so I'm hoping CivRev is good for this platform. I'm definitely not expecting a replacement for PC Civ based on what I've read so far, and that's fine with me.

If Civ5 is console only or a dumbed-down console port, then I'll be worried. However, I'm hoping that CivRev is thier branch for the consoles (and will go to CivRev 2, 3, etc), while PC players will still have the complex TBS that we've come to expect since Civ 1.

17. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

I think the design's interesting.

18. polyphemus

polyphemus join the long blue line

They said the WII version is going to come out later becuase they want to take advantage of all the interface features. I wonder how they'll impliment the remote...

19. morikaweb

morikaweb Chieftain

I'm assuming the remote will be used essentially the way a mouse is used in the PC version. This would give the Wii a far more user friendly interface than any other console, with the possible exception of the DS's touch screen.

Just too bad they are like everyone else and not truly giving the wii the same development priority as the other consoles receive.

20. Bast

Bast Protector of Cats

I'm pretty sure Paris Hilton doesn't play Civilization in any shape or form. :lol: