A different dawn beta (Anno Domini expansion) Sept 21st 2008

The mouseover text for the Border Fort action button says "Radar Tower"
I'll look into that; thanks for mentioning it :).

Note on 2.02 patch, I should have checked before starting a game, but the wonders are still producing the wrong units. :) The Hulc change is there, so I assume it's an upgraded .biq file.
I can't understand why the unit producing wonders didn't change in the last patch - I did alter them all, but it probably didn't save properly. That's the first thing that will change in v2.03.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I'm playing as Harappa & don't seem to be able to build the Mandapam in any of my cities.:confused:
I don't know why you can't build the mandapam; the only thing I can think of is to ask if you have a large enough empire to build a "forbidden palace" type SW?

Ok, the Coritani are now rulers of the world with a diplo win. :)
Good ;).

Edited the biq file to fix unit producing wonders, an only other play issue that forgot about was the inability to bombard with ships. The Bombard special abililty is not checked so I can't bombard but the AI can bombard.
I never really play with much of a navy, so perhaps have overlooked this. Some later ships, such as longships, have lethal sea bombardment - are you suggesting this should be the case with more ships?

Egypt has been a pain in ever game I have played that they are in, so far. They seem to like to make demands early and usually attack me after I have 5 or 6 cities. They can be a pain if they have got to the war chariots that they get early.
Egypt is overpowered due to me making a little mistake :blush:. I thought that seeing as the Hyksos are no longer in the game, the Egyptians could use the war chariot as a flavour unit and changed the stats to match other chariots. However, what I forgot to do was to change the prerequisite tech from animal domestication to chariotry. This has now been addressed, but probably explains the rise of Egypt in all of your games!

I don't know how others feel about this, but if I had one wish in this mod, it would be that Right of Passage treaties could be negotiated before the third era. Each time I have played, I have found myself attacked by an enemy who is not my neighbor, who is, in fact, sometimes twice removed from being my neighbor. The enemy can pass through as many civs as it needs to attack me but I cannot respond without declaring war on additional civs. This forces you to fight a defensive war, and unlike my government, I have learned the lessons of Vietnam. If you can't get to the source (or won't), you can't win. The prospect of fighting off endless waves of invaders is not an inviting one. Nor is a flank attack possible since the proper type of ship isn't available until the middle of the second age and even then, intervening oceans might make them useless.
How about I put right of passages in with administration in early era 2?

Thanks for all your comments and the insight into your individual games. I'm looking to work on a new patch when I get a couple of hours, which may or may not be tonight. I need time to update the civilopedia with a couple of things, such as the entries for some of the new civs.

I don't know why you can't build the mandapam; the only thing I can think of is to ask if you have a large enough empire to build a "forbidden palace" type SW?
According to the pedia I need a minimum of 10 cities on a standard map. I'm playing on a huge. At the time I first tried to build it I was about to end the "New" names & start on the "__ 2", so I don't think that's it.

Within the last few turns I have now been able to begin building it in the same city where I originally tried. I'm not sure what's different. That city had already reached full growth. I've had some workers on autopilot & they have connected up some more resources - but I'm pretty sure those are duplicates. Is there some requirement not mentioned in the pedia?

I've run into the super Egyptians too in my game as the Han. In fact, they've overwhelmed me with hordes of war chariots. Until I chopped my way through the jungle to get at them, through a narrow corridor created when they destroyed Athens, I was only facing their foot soldiers. Lo and behold! I clear the last trees and there is an Egyptian army to make Ramses proud! I could not pump troops into the city I captured fast enough (virtually my entire army). So fun as it was to play the Han, I'm off to start a new game and hopefully do better :)

I like the idea of right of passage being put under administration. Seems like the best spot available to me, and it would certainly have helped me in this past game. I could have tried to address the "Egyptian problem" sooner.

After driving the Coritani from their homeland (they're now confined to an enclave in the heart of Egypt), I am feverishly building up my Peltasts, as well as my defenses (Spartan Spearmen). From the Harappan and Coritani wars, I have two elite peltast armies and at least 4 elite peltasts (the rest are veterans), and over 100 Spartan Spearmen, averaging 6 per city (more in the border cities, less in the heartland, minimum of 3). No catapults.

Egypt is still far superior to me, but if I can concentrate my forces, I may have a fighting chance.

I need to strike Egypt "soon" and it will make or break me: Egypt has iron ore, I don't. If I can get to it (need to conquer two cities), hold it by repelling the inevitable Egyptian counterattack and then get Cleo to accept peace, I am in business. if not, then heroic Sparta will have fought her last stand!

No there isn't - and I've just checked the BIQ to make sure that's right.
Guess it's a mystery for now. One other clue - I could put it in the build queue, but when its turn came, the build flipped to wealth instead. If it crops up in another game I'll try to pay more attention & let you know.

Finished my game as Sparta. The war with Egypt went very well. Took 7 cities without losing a single one. My friends, the Macedonians, took another beating, though.

Unfortunately, just as I was preparing an all-out assault on Waset, the Egyptian capital, ye olde "humiliating defeat" screen popped up: Them darn Gyppos snatched 50,000 victory points (and that was in Anno Laxamenti)! How unfair!

But seriously: I recommend upping the victory point condition to at least 100,000.

Hi Rob. :)
If your interested, I uploaded a slightly improved version of the Indian cities here. I fixed some funky colours and pixels that were the result of the decrease to a 256 colour palette. I think they look a bit nicer now.

[party] 1600 Posts!!! :woohoo:

That's one of the unit-producing wonder issues as discussed above. It'll be corrected in the next patch :).
I won't get any Numidians, but every 5 turns I can burn a ship to get a unit a little faster.
Blue Monkey, that's hilarious. Did you wonder what was in your popcorn? :)
besides butter & peanut M&Ms?

Encountered my first real error in the game so far, had just reached Nobility with the Frisia, when the Buorreplicht finished building and got a missing file or entry error msg. It appears the WON_SPLASH_BLDG_Buorreplicht entry is missing for the Buorreplicht wonder, made quick addition to pedia and continuing game now.

Besides Egypt, I have to say I hate the Harappa probably as much since they seem to be as big a pain as Egypt most of the time. They seem to be able to build hordes of troops and fight all day long and still be at the top or near it in tech level every game. :D

Rob,

The navy issue I was referring to is that none of the ships can actually bombard at all. The computer can use them and bombard with them, but the player can not bombard with them. I assumed it was the missing check in the Bombard action on the ships and made the change to the .biq file to see if that fixes the problem. About to get to first ships with bombard ability and will let you know if it works correctly now.

Played an opening game as Chola to check out utahjazz7's observations. I do have ability to build nomads - 7 cities biult & 2 more nomads on the move in 222O BC. On the other hand, I've observed the same thing as Hrafnkell - there are always a handful of civs that barely grow - and sometimes the are in fairly advantageous starting positions.

Hi Rob. :)
If your interested, I uploaded a slightly improved version of the Indian cities here. I fixed some funky colours and pixels that were the result of the decrease to a 256 colour palette. I think they look a bit nicer now.
[party] 1600 Posts!!! :woohoo:
I'm definately interested and will download them - thanks :)!!

Encountered my first real error in the game so far, had just reached Nobility with the Frisia, when the Buorreplicht finished building and got a missing file or entry error msg. It appears the WON_SPLASH_BLDG_Buorreplicht entry is missing for the Buorreplicht wonder, made quick addition to pedia and continuing game now.
Actually, the error is in the BIQ - it's meant to be an improvement, not a wonder ;).

Rob,
The navy issue I was referring to is that none of the ships can actually bombard at all. The computer can use them and bombard with them, but the player can not bombard with them. I assumed it was the missing check in the Bombard action on the ships and made the change to the .biq file to see if that fixes the problem. About to get to first ships with bombard ability and will let you know if it works correctly now.
Thanks - looking forward to finding out what's happening with that.

Due to RL issues, I was unable to sort out the new patch the other night, but will look at this at the weekend.

Finally got to Trimeme with the Frisia, and it's like I thought about bombardment, without the Bombard option checked you don't get the bombard button with ships. With the Bombard option checked under Special Actions, you have a bombard button and can then bombard with ships. So any ship that you want to be able to bombard, needs to have the Bombard option checked in the .biq file. The AI doesn't use the special actions it appears, as long as the ship has the bombard range and damage set, the AI will bombard with them.

Blue Monkey - Right. I've seen that too, time and again. In my most recent game, the Huns, situated with me right on the edge of a beautiful, huge plain, perfect for horsemen. Had they expanded beyond their starting city, I'd have been in a world of hurt. That said, the Egyptians are AGAIN huge. Fortunately, I made the fix with the war chariots in the editor so at least I'm not steamrollered.

I am playing now with a "control group" of civs so that I can watch what they do from game to game, including Egypt, the Anglo-Saxons, Athens, Sparta, the Goths. In five games, Egypt has always been powerful, the Goths always small (never more than 3-5 cities). Sparta and the Anglo-Saxons fluctuate from game to game. Athens does too. Last game they had a couple cities. This game they're more like Egypt and we've already fought a war.

I could see Egypt's expanse when they had the war chariots. Who could stop them? But now they're back to their Anubis warriors, who, while tough, do not compare. And that's despite having the nasty Gauls as neighbors. I don't know what kind of vitamins you gave Egypt, Rob, but I'd like to get some for myself!

Patch 2.03 is now available. Sadly, I've not had time to work on the civilopedia and won't for a couple of weeks. My brother is coming over from Canada this week and we want to spend some time as a family as it will be the last chance we can do so (my mum has been given until early 2009 - for those that don't know, she has pancreatic cancer).

However, back to Civ; here are the updates:
  • Border forts now say "border forts" not "radar towers" when you point the mouse at them
  • The unit producing wonders are definately fixed this time!
  • Buorreplicht is now an improvement, not a wonder (this is as it was intended)
  • The Egyptians war chariot now comes with chariotry (as it should do)
  • utahjazz7's Iberian scutatio has replaced the placeholder for the Celtiberian infantry unit
  • The drott replaces the cataphract for Northern European civs
  • The Celtiberians have their own version of the tribesman
  • 3rd and 4th era warships can bombard

Top Bottom