A different dawn beta (Anno Domini expansion) Sept 21st 2008

Very sorry to hear about your mother, Rob. I lost both my parents a couple of years ago. My mother suffered for years from Parkinsons and dementia. My thoughts are with you. Hope you can make the most of the time remaining.

As for the mod, the updates sound great. Looking forward to playing the Norse again to get that drott (and the hulc).

I have been experimenting with created maps. I think a lot of the problems I run into are just accidents of geography, having a starting location adjacent to arctic terrain, or next to a swamp or desert.

For my first try, I adopted a map I found posted here on the forums, but it proved too large for even a dozen civs. I don't have a slow computer but reading a book between turns shouldn't be necessary. So I'll try making a map from scratch.

I'd like to create a map that offers each civ terrain tailored to its strengths and evocative of their historical situations. I've been working up some charts to guide me, some diagrams and lists, and hopefully I can make something happen. This is too good a mod not to inspire some custom maps.

I have been experimenting with created maps. I think a lot of the problems I run into are just accidents of geography, having a starting location adjacent to arctic terrain, or next to a swamp or desert.

For my first try, I adopted a map I found posted here on the forums, but it proved too large for even a dozen civs. I don't have a slow computer but reading a book between turns shouldn't be necessary. So I'll try making a map from scratch.

I'd like to create a map that offers each civ terrain tailored to its strengths and evocative of their historical situations. I've been working up some charts to guide me, some diagrams and lists, and hopefully I can make something happen. This is too good a mod not to inspire some custom maps.

Wow, thanks :).

I'm hoping to keep civs in relation to each other as they were historically, so that Indian civs do not start next to Mediterranean (Persia should be in between). I don't know how easy that will be, but I don't like having Iona as a neighbor if I'm Harappa. And I want to make sure each civ has access to the resources it needs for unique buildings and units. Anglo-Saxons should not have to conquer China to get honey, etc.

@ Hrafnkell: When Keroro first posted his version of a map by Eratosthenes/Strabo I played on it by importing a couple of different rules sets - TAM & ADC to be specific. I only tried random placements. It was fun, even though there are too large of stretches of similar terrain. It might be an interesting beginning point for your purposes.

Tr0x had a thread about a making a version of Ptolemy's map. It seems to have been removed, however.

Thanks, Blue Monkey, I'll give that a try. I've got a rough coastal outline of a map right now and hope to start filling it in over the next few days.

I remember seeing something once about Ptolemy's map here as well. That would have been interesting.

Here's the modified Great Granary splash you requested Rob (couldn't send it through PM):

Attachments

• greatgranarymodified.pcx
    110.9 KB · Views: 82
I think I have found a solution to my lack of resources problem. I invaded Marcomanni to prevent them from getting too powerful and to get myself closer to the rare copper in Illyria. Then I stormed the Illyrian city with a pile of catapults and axemen, using several of my new chariots to clear out the area. The turn after taking the city, I sent out my elite axemen to repel the broadswordsmen that Illyria was sending- and I got 2 MGLs in the same turn! (sure glad I converted the first one right away! :D ) I don't have any units worthy of filling up 2 armies right now, but I'm about 6 turns from getting ancient cavalry. I think that, combined with my access to copper as soon as I can get a road into this city, should turn the tables in my favor.
edit: Also, 2 turns later I got my second SGL
Spoiler :

It's kulade's Eurasia map, with some cropping. Since that screenshot I filled 2 armies with ancient cavalry, got another MGL and SGL, rushed Nimrod's Tower (siege archers will fill my 3rd army), taken the rest of Illyria's cities in the Balkans, gone to war with Egypt for refusing tribute :scared:, dragged Gaul, Macedonia, and Marcomanni into war with Egypt :D, and advanced to Anno Imperii.

I haven't found anything else that needs to be fixed, Rob. I've yet to manage to play a game through all ages since I either win early or lose early, but it looks good to me as far as I've gotten. So with those qualifiers, two thumbs up from me.

Sadness. :( I didn't fix the wonders before I started this game, and now Nimrod's Tower is giving me Three Man Chariots.

I'm noticing some new things now that I'm getting to the later eras:
Completely random, but I've been destroying Palaces by bombardment, I don't recall ever seeing that happen before.
Goth Marauder is superior to its upgrade Medieval Bowman (gets defensive bombardment but loses 1 MP, costs more, and requires a resource)
Goth Spearman (defense) upgrades to Huskarl (offense) instead of Pikeman (defense)?
I'm still confused by the whole Iron Ore vs Iron thing that bugged me in ADC.
Is the Donation of Pepin the only universally available second palace? I miss having a SW for corruption.

Are all Asian civs supposed to be able to use the Representation government from the start of the game?

Is there ever going to be a map that place all these wonderful civs in their respectful and historic locations?

Top Bottom