A Discussion of Manga

I think we're allowed some guilty pleasures, as long as we are fully aware that they ARE such and not genuinely good :D

I've tore through a LOT of anime series these days, and I'm looking for more, so if I find any guilty pleasures, I'll welcome them with open arms !

I've found an interesting diamond in the rough called Baito Saki Wa "Aku No Soshiki". It is a manga about a regular guy who finds a job ad for a villain group that pays enough to cover the expenses of taking care of younger siblings. The villain group is wacky enough to be interesting, basically like a Power Ranger Villain group, and the main character has some nice reactions. So fa the character development isn't all that much, but it is mainly a comedy series, it only has seven chapters out, and it seems to be going somewhere, so I'm optimistic.

Elfen Lied was one series i had to stop watching after a few eps (namely after the infamous ep where someone gets rather torn to pieces).

Japan= Weird :shake:

Moreover i don't like over-sexualised anime. By which i mean anime where sexuality is there just to attract viewers and randomly tied to the plot.

Satoshi Kon is my favourite anime director of all time (rip...).

Link to video.

Hayate the Combat Butler has reignited my passion for it. Chapter 510 was a much needed fix for me. I was a bit disappointed Nagi didn't win and set Hayate free, but I am glad that the plot seems to be going somewhere.

Hayate the Combat Butler has reignited my passion for it. Chapter 510 was a much needed fix for me. I was a bit disappointed Nagi didn't win and set Hayate free, but I am glad that the plot seems to be going somewhere.

I'mma read that chapter tomorrow, then I'll talk more about it.
i sort've wanna know what more you think
btw personally my passion or whatever was reignited after the waaaaay to long manga competition thing finally ended

btw the monster girl thing is still awful kthnx

Well, personally I wasn't all that impressed.
First thing: everytime Hata like recalls the first issue I think he's just out of ideas.
More importantly, it felt like a bit of a copout. Like the debt thing was pretty lacklusterly resolved witout any consequenses, since Hayate said he was just going to keep by Nagi anyway.
And while it's been said quite often, as far as I recall, but at least to me it doesn't seem like Hayate has much reason to stay or whatever. As like, he doesn't seem more fond of Nagi than he is of any of the other goils (also I miss the whole relationship with Athena thing).
Moreover, I don't think the whole thing about Nagi being in love with Hayate has been brought up for at least 300 chapters, maybe more like 400. I had sort of figured she was over that and had grown a more general fondness thing (like reliable best friend quasi-parent or whatever), but now Hata suddenly brought this love thing up again.

I hope I didn't kill your passion.
Personally I miss when the manga was more fast paced. I'm a pretty loyal reader though. It's still the only manga I read (except the new Ad Astra per Aspera from the same author, which launched just recently).

I totally understand your sentiments, and I agree with many of them. However, this chapter fixes one persistent problem with this series I've had for a while- where the hell is it going? I can see the plot once again. I know Hata has a tendency to do some serous a pulls, but I'm hopeful this will actually lead to somewhere. And I'm confident that where it leads will be good. This series was at its best during the Mykenos island arc (IMO), when the plot of the series was in full swing, and that was the arc I knew I was undoubtedly, hopelessly a fan of this series. It is also the arc that I decided I was a committed Hinagiku x Hayate shipper and I will ride til it sinks, and even then, I will drown with the flag tied to the mast, and me hugging it.

So I'll forgive the lazy writing, because when Hata gets good, he gets really good.

Japan= Weird :shake:

Moreover i don't like over-sexualised anime. By which i mean anime where sexuality is there just to attract viewers and randomly tied to the plot.

Yeah, that's what sort of makes me a bit uneasy about manga and anime in general, i really like the Ghost in the shell anime but i was sort of put off by the main character's attire.

Even though it's true that oversexualization happens often, there is tons of anime and manga without fanservice. And the good thing is, usually they are the best ones :p

Even though it's true that oversexualization happens often, there is tons of anime and manga without fanservice. And the good thing is, usually they are the best ones :p

Truth. Anime (and manga, presumable, I don't read it much/at all so I can't speak authoritatively on it) that is full of fanservice does not necessarily have to be low quality, I've seen some that use fanservice in subversive ways or simply have talented enough writers to make it good regardless of... distractions. But high amounts of fanservice are fairly correlated with low quality because it is often a mark of a show that is nothing more than a cash grab. Fanservice and censored boobs sell Blu-Rays and overpriced figurines to the lonely Japanese otaku that those shows are really intended for. That market is centered around exploiting a small demographic and convincing them to spend really obscene amounts of money on stuff. The demographic is small, but when each customer is spending thousands and thousands of dollars on this stuff every year, it's profitable.

Yeah, that's what sort of makes me a bit uneasy about manga and anime in general, i really like the Ghost in the shell anime but i was sort of put off by the main character's attire.

Is that Miyazaki? (or how it is spelled)

I am pretty sure this site doesn't even allow us posting the opening of GITS :D

That said, that movie (only saw the classic first one) really is not good. The supposed 'intellectual' plot is really skin-deep (well, analogous for robots).
The spider-tank was very cool, though :borg:

But high amounts of fanservice are fairly correlated with low quality
I'd actually say medium amounts of fanservice correlate with low quality - shows that go completely overboard with fanservice and make it the center-point in a comedic way can actually be quite good and hilarious to watch if the humor holds up.

Of course that then becomes a question of personal taste, but taste and objective quality are two different things.

I've taken to assuming that every time they have a drop of water emanating from an eye that it means the character killed someone in prison.

It is a terribly amusing when reading something like Fruits Basket.

Satoshi Kon is my favourite anime director of all time (rip...).

Link to video.

So I actually ended up seeing this series :crazyeye:

It was certainly interesting in a way, but also oddly inconsistent. Not only in plot, but also in aesthetics.
And Like a lot of the episodes were filler, to use the weaboe term :)mischief:)

Not entierly sure what to think overall. I don't exactly feel I sit left with any deeper understanding or anything after seeing it.

Moderator Action: RD status removed by OP request. Looking at how the discussion evolved, I agree that it does not require any particular moderator attention.

Top Bottom