1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A faux pas caused by a X diplomat has angered the Y civilisation

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by digitCruncher, Nov 17, 2008.

1. digitCruncher

digitCruncher Emperor

Seriously, in all of history, what diplomat has been stupid enough not to read up on the cultural rules of the country he serves in? That should be taught in diplomat 101!!

I would like an example of 1 situation (in the real world) where this event occurs between two countries who were rather close, and caused outrage in the populace?

All the other events are based on past events, except this one. It wouldn't bother me if other events weren't based on history (As that would make interesting alternate universes), but this is the only one where I can't put an example for the event...

The closest I can think of, was some leader (Either the president of the USA / Prime Minister of Britain) who, instead of giving the peace sign, gave the fingers (Hand was around the wrong way), to the Australians. But even then, the Australians LAUGHED at the leader. When someone makes a stuff up like that, the people are more likely to laugh at the leader for their ignorance, rather than get all angry about it...

2. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

No diplomat would have been stupid enough to do this. There was just a random event needed to give some minuses out.

3. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Random events = off by default, please :(. I hate playing games with them on, they annoy me so, and if an event can actually cause you to lose, it isn't balanced.

4. FriendoftheDork

FriendoftheDork Keiser

This has happened alot in history, but mostly classical age and medieval times and between very different cultures with little knowledge of one another.

For example, the portugese diplomats/traders was generally seen as uncivilized and rude by the 16th century japanese.

5. Willem

Willem Deity

This happens alot more than you realize. Here in Canada we've had a few uproars over some things that were said by the former ambassador that was appointed by Bush. Just because someone gets posted to a foreign country doesn't mean they're bright and informed. Many ambassadorial positions are given out as a form of cronyism, to reward a faithful party supporter who really doesn't have the qualifications to actually be an ambassador and shouldn't have been put in that position. That sort of thing used to happen alot more in the past as well. There's all sorts of cases where a local governor has pissed off the locals by doing something stupid. If there weren't, there would never have been an American Revolution and India would still be a subject of the British Empire.

6. theskibum

theskibum Brewer of Oatmeal Stout

Example
    One the Bush-es (can't remember if it was senior or junior) puked at some dinner with international diplomats and leaders. IIFC he ralphed right on another guy

7. Ormur

Ormur Prince

A British delegation to China in the late 18th century headed by George Macartney certainly committed a faux pas when he refused to kowtow in the presence of the Emperor. The mission was of course a failure and a -1 relation hit wouldn't be excessive in civ terms. It turned out to be worse for China in the long-term though.

8. CoZe

CoZe Warlord

LOL once I got this event in 3000 BC, even before writing invented ... didn't really make sense ...

9. Willem

Willem Deity

Why not, you don't need Writing in order to do something stupid that will insult someone.

10. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Superconductor Moderator

Hey, remember Trudeau? He was always doing something rude and stupid in foreign countries.

11. brainshannon

brainshannon Chieftain

Joachim von Ribbentrop, the German Foreign Minister from 1938-45, committed numerous faux pas during his diplomatic mission to Britain before the war, including giving the Nazi salute to the British King. :lol: His diplomatic mission to Britain is largely seen by historians as being an unmitigated disaster for Germany.

There is nothing new under the sun...

12. Pook

Pook Bloviating

Where do I begin? Some gems mined from http://textus.diplomacy.edu/Blunders/links/index.asp?FilterTopic=/39458

Uruguay
    - President Jorge Batlle's referred in a TV interview to the Argentinean politicians as a "band of thieves" and he also claimed Argentina's president had no idea how to lead the nation out of economic crisis.

United States
    - President Kennedy "Ich bin ein Berliner!" (Unfortunately the translation is not "I am a Berliner!" but "I am a jam doughnut!")

- President Nixon at French President Charles de Gaulle's funeral. "This is a great day for France!"

- President Bush, Jr. "Keep good relations with the Grecians" and "Border relations between Canada and Mexico have never been better."

- I'll add one I witnessed on TV- President Clinton in Latin America for trade talks was illustrating a point about economic integration by putting his left thumb and forefinger together, making a circle, and putting his right index finger through the circle. Unfortunately, this gesture is often viewed in that part of the world as a sexual reference.

Romania
    - President Emil Constatinescu "We are in a very happy moment of our history…for the first time in a multi-centuries history, Romania is not one of Russia’s neighbors." (besides the obvious faux pas, Romania doesn’t have a multi-century history as the Romanian state came into existence less than 150 years ago.)

- President Ion Iliescu "Private property is a caprice" and "The best market economy is the one controlled by the state."

Russia
    - President Yeltsin “I only have enough food with me for two days” , declining an invitation of President Jiang Zeminto to extend his China visit.

Indonesia
    - President Sukarno "We will achieve this with every legitimate means - diplomacy, infiltration, skirmishes, major battles or total war."

France
    -Former President De Gaulle "China is a big country with a lot of Chinese people living there."

###
    It seems to me that diplomatic blunders occur frequently. I'm keeping that event in my games.

13. Olleus

Olleus Deity

Most of Roman diplomacy seemed to be faux pas. Not to mention the Spartans killing Persian diplomats - although I guess that was more intentional than a faux pas.

14. Willem

Willem Deity

He didn't need to be in a foreign country. But he was charming enough that he usually got away with it.

15. Antilogic

Antilogic --

To my understanding, President Kennedy actually got it right and it is largely a myth that he said he was a jelly doughnut.

Here's another one: Citizen Genet, early US government.

I think there are enough examples already to leave this event on.

16. BakingTheArt

BakingTheArt His Evening Coat

'Nuff said.

17. sydhe

sydhe King of Kongs

"Why can't the Arabs and Jews resolve their disagreements at the conference table like good Christians?" - Warren Austin, U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations 1948

18. Charonicus

Charonicus Warlord

The Duke of Edinburgh makes all sorts of gaffes. Ok so he's not exactly an ambassador, but he is the Queen's hubby. I'm amazed he hasn't managed to seriously offend anyone. Well, I think he upset a kid once for telling him he was too fat to go into space. ¬¬

As for the random event. I usually like it, because it generally happens to the AI and tears their relationships up. ^^ It did just happen in my most recent game though, right at the start (Pre-writing), between me and my chosen ally! >_< Luckily I've managed to repair our relations and it's all groovy again.

19. John117

John117 Chieftain

What about de Gaulle's visit to Canada during expo '67? "Vivre le Quebecois!" and "Vivre le Quebec libre!" I think the primeminister asked him to leave the country.

20. Willem

Willem Deity

Yeah, that was a good one. It was right around the time that we were having some serious issues with Quebec seperatists. One group, the FLQ, became militant and kidnapped a few people and one of them ended up dead. Trudeau declared martial law at that time in order to deal with it. de Gaulle's comments couldn't have happened at a worst time, they added alot of fuel to the fire.