A faux pas caused by a X diplomat has angered the Y civilisation

To my understanding, President Kennedy actually got it right and it is largely a myth that he said he was a jelly doughnut.

Here's another one: Citizen Genet, early US government.

I think there are enough examples already to leave this event on.

Caveat: I am not a German speaker, so I must defer to those who speak German well enough to understand the cultural nuances.

As it has been explained to me, "Ich bin Berliner" translates as "I am a resident of Berlin." The moment you add the article "ein" to it, the meaning changes. "Berliner" was a type of jam/jelly doughnut popular at the time, and "Ich bin ein Berliner" translates as "I am a jam/jelly doughnut."

German speakers, please weigh in here.

I agree with Antilogic that we've seen enough examples to leave this event turned on.

I feel that this thread is incomplete without some of the wisdom of HRH Prince Phillip, the Duke of Edinburgh :

1. When visiting China in 1986, he told a group of British students, "If you stay here much longer, you'll all be slitty-eyed".

2. After accepting a gift from a Kenyan native he replied, "You ARE a woman, aren't you?"

3. "If it has four legs and is not a chair, has wings and is not an aeroplane, or swims and is not a submarine, the Cantonese will eat it." (At a 1986 World Wildlife Fund meeting)

4. "British women can't cook." (1966)

5. To a British student in Papua New Guinea: "You managed not to get eaten then?"

6. Asked of a Scottish driving instructor, "How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough for them to pass the driving test?"

7. On a visit to the new Welsh Assembly in Cardiff, he told a group of deaf children standing next to a Jamaican steel drum band, "Deaf? No wonder you are deaf standing so close to that racket.”

8. Asked of an Australian Aborigine, "Still throwing spears?" (March 2002)

9. To a Briton in Budapest, "You can't have been here that long – you haven't got a pot belly." (1993)

10. To the President of Nigeria (dressed in traditional Muslim robes), "You look like you're ready for bed!"

11. On seeing a shoddily installed fuse box in a high-tech Edinburgh factory, he remarked "It looks as if it was put in by an Indian".

12. A twelve year-old boy told the Prince that he wanted to be an astronaut, Prince Philip replied, "You could do with losing a bit of weight."."

13. On an ‘extended’ tour of the Royal Navy ship HMS Boxer, was quoted to have said, "Not another ***ing chamber".

14. After meeting San Francisco mayor, of the time, Dianne Feinstein and several female supervisors, he remarked, "Aren't there any male officials?... This is a nanny city." (1983)

15. "Aren't most of you descended from pirates?" (in 1994, to an islander in the Cayman Islands)

16. "Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaining they are unemployed." (during the 1981 recession)

17. "We didn't have counsellors rushing around every time somebody let off a gun, asking 'Are you all right? Are you sure you don't have a ghastly problem?' You just got on with it." (commenting in 1995 on modern stress counselling for servicemen)

18. "If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?" (in 1996, amid calls to ban firearms after the Dunblane shooting)

19. "They must be out of their minds." (in 1982, in the Solomon Islands, after being told that the annual population growth was only 5%)

20. "Your country is one of the most notorious centres of trading in endangered species in the world." (in 1991, in Thailand, after accepting a conservation award).

21. "Oh no, I might catch some ghastly disease." (in 1992 in Australia, when asked to stroke a Koala bear)

22. "Bloody silly fool!" (in 1997, referring to a Cambridge University car park attendant who failed to recognise him).

23. In 1998, to pupils at Queen Anne's School in Berkshire, who wear blood-red uniforms: "It makes you all look like Dracula's daughters."

24. Reputed to have said, after being informed of Tony Blair’s re-election in May 2005, “Well bugger me with a Ragman’s Trumpet”.

Maybe this is one of the reasons the UK is pretty much despised across the globe - well either that or post-imperialistic resentment.

To my understanding, President Kennedy actually got it right and it is largely a myth that he said he was a jelly doughnut.....

True. "Ich bin ein Berliner" in german translates to "I'm a resident of Berlin", meaning "I life in Berlin". For sure he didn't refer to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berliner_(pastry)

:)

He sad that to express his support to the germans during the soviet blockade of Berlin. From my point of view (I'm german) this is the opposite of a faux pas. The russians might have seen it otherwise however :)

All right, thanks to those who actually know some German and could back me up. My smattering of a dozen phrases scrounged from a bilingual boardgame just isn't enough to grant me an "expert opinion".

That list from the Duke is utterly hilarious. I knew he tripped up on occassion, but seriously, I had no clue he made that many.

Yes, thank you German speakers for clarifying that. I speak French, some Arabic, and a little Italian, but my knowledge of German is at the "cereal box" level.

Thanx Parmenion, for the Duke's list.

Why not, you don't need Writing in order to do something stupid that will insult someone.

in the past civs, you needed a unit called 'diplomat' to open an embassy with someone, and the prerequisite of the 'diplomat' was writing ... So I'm inclined to think there're no embassies before writing. :crazyeye:

in the past civs, you needed a unit called 'diplomat' to open an embassy with someone, and the prerequisite of the 'diplomat' was writing ... So I'm inclined to think there're no embassies before writing. :crazyeye:

True that an embassy wouldn't work very well without writing. There would be no practical way for the ambassador to communicate with his government over long distances. But I think we've proved that you don't need an embassy to offend other cultures - you just need someone representing your country - like Prince Phillip :lol:

What happened in past Civ games is irrelevant. As soon as you make contact with another civ in version 4, you're assumed to have an embassy. Or at least an ambassador. In real life, embassies didn't exist until fairly recently. One nation would just send a representative to another nation in order to maintain communication with them, and that person would just live in the other country. In many cases that representative acted more like a spy than an ambassador.

I guess you mean Civ 2, because there was no diplomat in CivIII.....and Civ 3 had a terrible diplomacy and espionage system

Civ3's espionage system was still better than the initial Civ4 espionage system, which was added as an afterthought. I'm glad they reworked it for BtS--although I am still not good at exploiting it.

I guess you mean Civ 2, because there was no diplomat in CivIII.....and Civ 3 had a terrible diplomacy and espionage system
Even in III, though, wasn't writing a prerequisite for buying an embassy? I barely remember most of the CivIII mechanics anymore, so I could easily be wrong.

Still, the faux pas random event could do with a slight revision. Nothing game-changing, I just don't think it's interesting enough to say that your ambassador has comitted a gaffe. Instead, upon getting the faux pas event, it should randomly pick from a list of faux pases (faux pas's?/faux pi?) to commit. Your ambassador could throw up on someones lap, call the natives a bunch of binge drinkers, etc. Then you could at least get a little chuckle along with your -1 relations penalty.

True story:

Sitting in a bar having drinks with some Brits here in NYC. One of the Brits, a guy with a serious case of the "Pleased With Myselfs", says "Oh, we're British. We go all over the world and everybody loves us". To which I stated, "What about the Irish?". He sheepishly replied, "Oh, yes, well, um, there is that". :)

Why let the diplomats have all the fun?

United States
- President Kennedy "Ich bin ein Berliner!" (Unfortunately the translation is not "I am a Berliner!" but "I am a jam doughnut!")

Sorry but you're wrong with that one.

Still, the faux pas random event could do with a slight revision. Nothing game-changing, I just don't think it's interesting enough to say that your ambassador has comitted a gaffe. Instead, upon getting the faux pas event, it should randomly pick from a list of faux pases (faux pas's?/faux pi?) to commit. Your ambassador could throw up on someones lap, call the natives a bunch of binge drinkers, etc. Then you could at least get a little chuckle along with your -1 relations penalty.

I prefer boxi to boxes.

I don't think it's fair to say the british are universally despised because of their colonial past. After all, most countries who were part of that past are in the commonwealth, a voluntary club headed by the queen. And my personal experience of several dozen countries is that we're liked as much as anyone else. It's usually people who have no experience of other cultures who buy these ideas of them and us. People are just people. Back on topic, i like the event, as i like all the random events. Civ offer some unpredictability to make it a challenge and shake the game up from time to time. And yes, sometimes an event should totally kill your gameplan and make you adapt or die.

"What about the Irish?". He sheepishly replied, "Oh, yes, well, um, there is that". :)
We Irish are Britain's dirty little secret. They're embarassed because we usually have better teeth, and the women are prettier. :p
(Lemon curtsies here.)

We Irish are Britain's dirty little secret. They're embarassed because we usually have better teeth, and the women are prettier.
(Lemon curtsies here.)

i can only assume that there speaks an irish woman who has never actually been there ;)

outside belfast and dublin it's like the village of the damned. women with hairy cheeks and feral horses running down the streets. chaps, trust me, go there for the beautiful countryside, the friendliness and the guinness, but not for the girls...

Top Bottom