1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A female Sidar leader, aka Unit's dormant roleplaying genes acting up.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Cuteunit, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Cuteunit

Cuteunit Danse Macabre

Most fantasy art when it comes to females might as well have the "Naughty" adjective applied before the title... "Naughty Sorceress" "Naughty Warrior Woman" mutter.

2. it-ogo

it-ogo Hedgehog

Don't like this head for Sidar. Colour gamma is acceptable but the face itself is too large, fat and painted. Sidar need something more delicate I believe.

3. Deon

Deon Lt. of Mordor

I don't dive in the deep FFH atmosphere still, because I haven't read a lot of texts in the pedia (just the one which caught my attention), so I can't speak as I were a FFH "native concept speaker", but as a usual player which already got something from the FFH and lives in it someway I'd like to say Cuteunit shouldn't be offended.
    If Kael thinks she doesn't fit in fact of description, at least take the portrait (maybe tweaked maybe as it is) and ask the Cuteunit to change the backstory to fit the FFH concept (please :)).
    I want a feminine Sidar leader, because for now poor Sandalphon looks too lonely. Also Kael, can you think about the shadow mana suggestion too?

As for now, Cuteunit, don't be hurt by the fact that your leader is not accepted. She is cute and there're a place for her, so work WORK work till the allmighty FFH creator would like her.

I hope you won't leave your efforts.

4. Ekolite

Ekolite The Mighty Jungle

No TBH just make a modmod or ask someone else to include her in theirs. It probably isn't worth trying to convince Kael to put her in the main mod. Personally I like the idea of the female sidar leader although not sure about the pic. I think its not too hard to add a new leader. Good luck.

5. Ekolite

Oh and also I don't think its actually possible to decieve a shade. When you become a shade you lose emotion and stuff don't you? So he wouldn't have any particular interest in her and would see through her charade at once. Unless of course its really Sandalphon decieving her, pretending to fall for her tricks to get her to become a shade. Not sure why he'd do that though.

6. Sureshot

Sureshot Goddess

if we cant get new leaders for svartalfar, sidar, and illians, itd be nice if they were like every other single leader for a civ (excepting the special and over traited infernal and mercurians) and get Adaptive to make them more playable (varn, cardith, and cassiel are the only single leaders of a civ, and all have Adaptive).

the only reasoning i can see behind svartalfar, sidar, and illians not getting Adaptive considering their situations of only having 1 leader each is that they weren't enabled when the Adaptive trait was made and employed, and now unrestricted is supposed to fill that role kinda.. but having to play unrestricted can be a pain because of the odd leaders you encounter (like hyborem of the bannor)

7. Cuteunit

Cuteunit Danse Macabre

One two three four or five?

I'm partial to the masquerade masked one, given how I see the character and all.. but that's me, and I'm biased because I colored my hair that way for a good six or seven years when I was younger. Spent a few hours looking... I think all of these get across a certain mood which implies a facet of the character. I know one and two match the feel you get from Sandalphon's pic better, which is the only visual reference for shades right now. Three and beyond are just " toss it in the hat" submissions. Three because of Kael's story about the artist unnoticed in the corner, 4 because It has a mood, and five because it seems contra to sandalphon's gloom while still having a dark and cultural feel.

I wonder *edit* had a notion, going to do a little repainting to shadify. As long as I get the original artist's blessing I suppose it's alright.

8. Cuteunit

Cuteunit Danse Macabre

Perfect? Perfect. Perfect! Yes.

Manipped, brushed, painted over from source here
    http://navate.gfxartist.com/artworks/104524

To me it's everything ML now.
    Beaked masquerade mask symbolizing her deceptions and how she wears them.
    Her back turned from light to shadow
    Feminine vanity

9. Ekolite

Err possibly, would be better if it was more in the style of the other LHs though. But anyway, its up to you.

10. Cuteunit

Cuteunit Danse Macabre

I'm limited by my choices when it comes to the images. Everything in FFH for the most part is a digital painting, with exception of a few which are cropped from larger images and hence have a lower detail, brushy look.

Updated the story with extra expository dialogue, should make more sense now but still leave some mystery.
    I updated the original post, but I'll post here also.
    Spoiler :

"It is a common misconception, you see."

His words pierced the awkward silence that had been ever present since their introduction the day before. Sitting beside her as they watched the stately waltz conducted upon the stage below, Sandalphon's words had such a strange quality as he spoke. At times seeming a distant whisper, at others no differrent than the middle aged man he seemed to be, and yet always audible to her above the stately sounds of the music being conducted in unfeeling, perfect meter, as everything in the city seemed to be done.

"Men who have given up the things many would consider essential to merit that description. To sacrifice mortal form, mortal pleasures. Truly, we must seem monsters to the few who know us. Even to our friends."

"As you can see below", he said, gesturing to the dancers below their vantage within the theatre's balcony, "We are far from it".

Years of courtly graces made the response of Sandalphon's veiled companion almost automatic, her soft and well practiced voice having none of the ethereal qualities of the other. "I assure you, noble Sir, that the court of our lady Valledia the Even.."

"What do you fear?"
    Sandalphon's sudden interuption was abrupt, it was outside the protocol with which her every dialogue, every thought had been conducted.

"I do not know you, Myriel Lethlehaime, but I know of you. Jewel in the crown of a few well considered magisters, and glimmer on the brooch of many a petty beaurocrat. You have never served in their wars yet you have insinuated yourself into many a courtly appearance in their strange aristocracy on the arm of someone influential."

"Yet now you are here, and you are alone. None in your homeland know of this, and if they did none would admit it. You are fleeing something Myriel, and here my knowledge of you is incomplete."

Confusion, panic, deception, and resignation all made fleeting appearances across her face. The former dispelled by Sandalphon's sudden casual placement of his hand across her wrist, his presence in this world suddenly seeming very real, the latter banished by her own lifelong curse: pragmatism. Thoughts raced in an instant through a quicker mind than any knew to accredit her, intendedly so. Think, plan, adapt with a smile and a curve of the spine, be soft and unchallenging. You know who sits next to you. He has what you want. Consider your options, Red Lady in Passing, become Grey...

With a sigh heavy upon her bosom, Myriel Lethlehaime for the first time resigned herself to honesty in the face of no other option, there beside the not-man in the place of his power. When she did speak, her voice came softly.

"Gracious sir.." said Myriel. "Ah, damned with graces.. I fear exactly what all women fear, and I most of all. I fear the withering of age. I fear the decline of my mind. I fear the time to come when I am worth nothing to those around me, a crone to be secretly mocked by the young. I fear the coming struggles my nation faces with the Infernals, where no sorceress who cannot be a tool of war will be anything but a burden. Most of all I fear my leader, and the things I know she has done in the name of country. Secrets are a currency in the Capitol, and there is so much I know, Sandalphon. I drown beneath that wealth. Always present but quickly disregarded in the clamor, so many dirty dealings and dark secrets meet my ears across a scented pillow. That has been my life and my security.. until now".

What had once been a picture of feminine curve worthy of any sculptor's eye began to crumple beneath the weight of emotion.

"She knows that I know. What's left of good in me, almost forgotten in the lies I've lived as truths hopes that she doesn't know how I learned of it. There is no home for me among the Amurites any longer, Sandalphon. Death likely seeks me even now. I came to you because I am already a corpse, no matter where I run."

A glimpse of iron found it's way into her figure as she spoke further.
    "To be left to rot in the pitiless sun with none who remember me but for the assassin who brought my end as he wipes clean his blade! That is the most I may hope for now, with far worse fates seeming more likely the more they are contemplated. I would do anything, give up anything, to escape those ends."

"I..know you can help me."

With that, all else was left to sobs as Sandalphon sat in silence beside her. His form had become almost tenuous with the shadows of the theatre now, as may often occur when a Shade's concentration is harvested to other ends than his place in the mundane, before solidifying once again. None may know the mind of one so ancient as he, who endures and husbands the strength to lead where others find resignation and melancholy in the face of endlessness. The many layered machinations of such a being surely form a puzzle whose final appearance may not even be clear to the craftsman himself, but within at least one such place in the mind of the not-man, a piece fell into place to join the others.

"There is a way, and you will exist to remember who the person Myriel Lethlehaime was when none else remain."

"It is a common misconception that we are monsters. We are not, because we choose to remember where others struggle to forget. Take my hand, I will show you this life as a memory of mortality. Tonight we begin a Waning. Then, we will speak further, and of many things."

Shadows filled the empty spaces as both figures left the theatre hand in hand. He intent on the Waning to come, she quietly satisfied that at least one final deception had proven effective after all.

11. Psychic_Llamas

Psychic_Llamas Wizard in the Making

i didnt know that about the book of laroth. its interesting ,and makes my suggestion of summoning seem silly now :p and shadow replacing body rather than enchantment makes sense too.
    but i still wory that arcane will really overpower the sidar, even if it does fit the theme better than summoning.

12. Fenboy

Fenboy King

Y'know, Sandalphon is one of Kylorin's children in Age of Ice, so I guess he has some Amurite blood in him ;)

13. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

I wouldn't cal it perfect, but it is a huge improvement. I'm not a fan of the mask's beak, but I guess I could live with it if you can't find anything better.

Now, do you know how to get the art in the format for the game to use? The CIV4LeaderHeadsInfos.xml file refers to "ART_DEF_LEADER_SANDALPHON," which seems to refer to
    Code:
    		<LeaderheadArtInfo>
    			<Type>ART_DEF_LEADER_SANDALPHON</Type>
    			<Button>,Art/interface/LeaderHeads/Sandalphon button.dds</Button>
    			<NIF>art/interface/LeaderHeads/Sandalphon.dds</NIF>
    			<KFM/>
    			<NoShaderNIF/>
    			<BackgroundKFM/>
    		</LeaderheadArtInfo>
    in the CIV4ArtDefines_Leaderheads.xml, which seems to refer to a couple of .dds files

How do you convert the picture to .dds, and where do you put it? I think I'll leave that up to you, and only implement the new leader in my modmod if you give me the files and tell me where to put them.

Edit: While you're at it, could you try to find pics for the other leaders I'm planning to add, and convert them to the right format? A Centaur General for the Kuriotates and Tsvarlain the Druids' Bane (which I had implemented as a hero but would probably prefer as a leader. He is half elven (his father was Kyorlin and his mother was Arendal Phaedra), and was born late in the age of magic. I see him as fairly youthful looking (from his elven blood) but with streaks of gray/white hair and a few wrinkles and scars from being a half-mortal who lived a tough life for centuries, plus several prominent birthmarks like those of the Children of Kyorlin in AoI) for the Svartalfar.

Also, since you have more experiance in graphics, could you make (or find) graphics for the new resources (goats, camels, recolorings of existing resources of them would probably be fine for Ice Mana, lead, and Nullstone, and I see no reason not to just use the same graphics for silver as mithril)

14. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

To set up the image you just have to download the NVidia .DDS patch for photoshop. All of the leaderheads are in the PAK (you'll probably need another program to open this and repack it, but I cannot remember where I found that one), or you can just place it in the non-compressed area (Assets/Art/Interface/Leaderheads if I recall properly) and it'll look there too. But you really want to open the PAK file so you can get the proper dimensions for the other Leaderheads instead of guessing at it.

15. Mewtarthio

Mewtarthio Emperor

Wasn't he still going to be called "Morgoth" back when AoI was released? I'm pretty sure that all of Kylorin's children are just named after angels.

16. Cuteunit

Cuteunit Danse Macabre

Yeah, I know how to do leaderheads. Did them for vanilla. The viewport is 384x512 but due to power of 2 constraints the texture has to be 512x512, and the game simply squishes it back. Hence why the beaked mask image is 384x, I can just resize it to 512 if final.

I'll take an eyeball for those images, sure.

Do the additions to the story entry help it?

17. Cuteunit

Cuteunit Danse Macabre

Just for ML I'm hand painting the masquerade beak away... takes a while. Not my base image though... we'll see.

18. MalkutX

MalkutX Warlord

Is there a walkthrough or any other information page on how to mod new leaders into the game?

19. Cuteunit

Cuteunit Danse Macabre

I think it's come out nicely. It does look better than beaked, and I like the tonal values I settled on this time more..

It's hard to handpaint a face, havent since I was like 13.. ( long time)

Or maybe a more golden hued one, like sunset... little more saturated. I think it's pretty...

20. thomas.berubeg

thomas.berubeg Wandering the World

those look good. i'de go with the second, though.