a few good patchs

blue3c

Warlord
Jessep: You want a patch?
Kaffee (Tom Cruise): I think I'm entitled to one.
Kaffee: I want the patch!
Jessep: You can't handle the patch! Son, we live in a world that has code. And that code has to be entered by programmers. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for your lost playing time and you curse Firaxis. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that your lost playing time, while tragic, probably saved a beta tester some time. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, wastes money...You don't want the patch. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you wanted to waste your money. You needed to waste your money.
We use words like ctd, code, bsod...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent making something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very game I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a keyboard and write your own dam patch. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!

:p I was asked to make a new thread for this. Backround is I can not play the game. At least not for more then 30 min. I have complained in here. The thread I was in was getting crazy so I thought I would post this to make someone laugh. It did I guess. Hope you enjoy and all that. :D

that was funny as n377. but I do feel for you, and others that cannot play the game. I had a 22 hour online game the other day between me and a buddy of mine and never once on either end had an issue. But I will say this I built both PC, but with different parts. Mine is an AMD 64 his is a an Intel 3.0 both have 1gig mem and 160gig HDs. I have a 9800pro and he has a 6800GT. So it I will say this, uninstall the game, then goto your virtual memory and turn it off, reboot your PC, now defrag your drive 3 times(YES 3 times you'll be amazed it'll defrag each time) now setup 1gig of virtual memory and reboot. reinstall the game and play on till your hearts content. This has worked for everyone I have talked to so go forth and try it out :) if it does not then I can help you no further, but you do need to make sure all your device drivers are upto date and no beta drivers are running.

blue3c

I went from 1.0 gig of mem to 1.5 gig of mem and all my problems cleared up.
Also trying changing the refresh rate on your card from 60 to 75

Defrag three times on a disk that is less then 1% frag is a little harsh. LOL. No, really. Thanks for the help. System I installed it on is a fresh install for a gaming rig I built.
p4 3.0
2 gb mem
300gb drive with two part c: is a 200gb part only used for sys and swap
100 gb part has civ iv on it
one extra 300 gb drive clean
xp pro sp 2 and all the latest and greatest updates and sr's
256 mb 5700 geforce
aud2
Thats about it. Decent rig, I will update the vid card on this machine when I can. But Thought it was good enough. Meets or exceeds rec setup.
The mem leak is whats killing me. I am sure that is what it is. I am also sure that the patch should solve that. But the question is when will it come. Read something on here that thundersomething or another, someone in the know on this site talked with a dev and they said this week for the patch. Woo hoo. Now its just hold breath and wait.

A yes the memory leak thing. I have not seen that and several others that have never seen it also have there VM setup at 1gig to match there 1gig physical memory. My game stays at a constant 250megs of memory consumption and never higher, and that is after that 20+ hour game we played. I would suppos it could be related to a driver for a memory modual, can't blame any one processor as he has an Intel and me an AMD so that throws that idea out the door. It is odd that some people have this issue and some do not, but it's a mix of systems so it cannot be traced to a hardware issue, but rather a driver. I run an ATI 9800pro and have never seen one graphical glitch so I must have some good drivers from ATI(there latest ones) Oh and my system is running on one year without a reinstall so maybe a fresh install could be the kicker. Who knows and Fraxis is obviously scratching there heads over it.

blue3c said:
Kaffee (Tom Cruise): I think I'm entitled to one.
Kaffee: I want the patch!
Jessep: You can't handle the patch! Son, we live in a world that has code. And that code has to be entered by programmers. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for your lost playing time and you curse Firaxis. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that your lost playing time, while tragic, probably saved a beta tester some time. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, wastes money...You don't want the patch. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you wanted to waste your money. You needed to waste your money.
We use words like ctd, code, bsod...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent making something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very game I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a keyboard and write your own dam patch. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!

:p I was asked to make a new thread for this. Backround is I can not play the game. At least not for more then 30 min. I have complained in here. The thread I was in was getting crazy so I thought I would post this to make someone laugh. It did I guess. Hope you enjoy and all that. :D

not to get toooo off topic but wouldnt tom cruse now say "the game dosnt need a patch its just the games life style, not a programing mistake"

evirus,

not sure but I think you are talking about scientology thingy???? Yes no maybe???

It is odd that some people have this issue and some do not, but it's a mix of systems so it cannot be traced to a hardware issue, but rather a driver.<<<<<

Well, That doesn't make sense. why would one system work with updated drivers and not another? That's whats happening.

yah sounds more like a mem leak to me, something in the larger maps. I have tested on a clean system, That I just reinstalled with two year old drivers then updated one at a time. Just to test. Same thing every time.

Ok I left my system running with the largest map and max civs and left it overnight and through the day today and I'm checking it now from time to time VIA remote desktop and so far so good. Memory is still holding at around 250-260megs and the game appears to still be running smooth, but RD is not a good way to see how it is really doing. I'll check it tonight when I get home and see where it stands.

Mods are being wrong when they move threads about video problems from the public eye and delete threads about patches.

People have genuine frustrations that need to be vented and need to be replied to. Its a shame its being stifled.

blue3c said:
Defrag three times on a disk that is less then 1% frag is a little harsh. LOL. No, really. Thanks for the help. System I installed it on is a fresh install for a gaming rig I built.
p4 3.0
2 gb mem
300gb drive with two part c: is a 200gb part only used for sys and swap
100 gb part has civ iv on it
one extra 300 gb drive clean
xp pro sp 2 and all the latest and greatest updates and sr's
256 mb 5700 geforce
aud2
Thats about it. Decent rig, I will update the vid card on this machine when I can. But Thought it was good enough. Meets or exceeds rec setup.
The mem leak is whats killing me. I am sure that is what it is. I am also sure that the patch should solve that. But the question is when will it come. Read something on here that thundersomething or another, someone in the know on this site talked with a dev and they said this week for the patch. Woo hoo. Now its just hold breath and wait.
Had the same prob, found out not all featurs of vid card turned on in bios, soon as they were no probs.

panza105 said:
Had the same prob, found out not all featurs of vid card turned on in bios, soon as they were no probs.

Like what? please give example. I would like to check my system to see if I need tweak something that I may have over looked. :eek:

Top Bottom