A few newbie questions

proxybot

Chieftain
Hi, I've been playing for about 2 weeks now and worked my way up to the mid/upper Regent skill level. I have some basic questions if anyone might be able to help:

1. When selecting the Pangea setting, I still get some islands 2 out of 3 maps .. instead of one large connected blob of landmass. Is this normal or is it related to what Civs that the computer generates ?

2. I've recently started "starving" cities down to 1 to be rid of corruption and so forth. What I do is make everyone entertainers (click on the food tiles), but the next turn it restores order and the food tiles are selected again - and I'd have to do it over and over again. As far as I can tell, the governor settings on these cities are off. Is this what everyone does, or is there a better way ? It's really tedious to starve large cities turn after turn.

3. Regarding tech researching, if I've researched part of a tech and then find out another civ already has it, can I switch to another tech without penalty or do I have to start over on the new tech? This might be worded badly, but is comparable to the palace pre-build , where I can switch to another item using the shields.

4. Do worker actions stack? As in, I can have one guy clear a jungle and then have another guy do the same thing on the same square. Does this make it faster or is it a total waste ?

Thanks in advance.

2. I guess u have to live with it.

3. Whenever u start reseraching a new tech u have to start from scratch. But i think that when u switch back to the tech u already were researching u dont loose the beakers u have previously researched. So there is no penalty, but u cant "pre-research".

1. Dunno

2. Try to switch them to tax collectors or researchers instead ( just click on the citizens' heads )

3. I think you get a penalty for switching research goals but I don't think you have to start all over again. I'm not sure though.

4. Yep, it makes it faster.

1) Pangea doasent really stand for one uniform landmass, its something like putting 70-90% watter in Alpha Centauri. You will have more land but not nececarily in one continent.

2)Couse cities are not supose to starve, so when you are loosing pop city automaticly places workers.

3) As said Salte

4)As said zkreso

if u want to ask questions theres a thread called quick ansews ask your questions in there.

1) In the original Civ3, ("Vanilla Civ3") this happened quite a lot. The map algorithm was chenged for PTW, IIRC, and it doesn't occur so often if you play that (or Conquests).

2) Yes, it's tedious to starve your cities. Hint: maybe you should find *other* ways to improve your corruption and so forth. ;)

3) Whenever you start researching a new tech, you start from scratch. And if you leave the Science Advisor Screen after switching techs, you DO NOT keep the beakers you have built up against the previous tech! If you re-enter the F6 screen, and switch back, you will be starting all over again!

4) Yes, worker actions *stack*. Many players assign workers in groups of two or more, to be able to speed up the work to be done.

And like useless rather tactlessly put it, we *do* have a Quick Answers thread for basic, "Newbie-ish" questions (or any question you want a quick answer for ;) ).

Originally posted by proxybot
Hi, I've been playing for about 2 weeks now and worked my way up to the mid/upper Regent skill level. I have some basic questions if anyone might be able to help:

1. When selecting the Pangea setting, I still get some islands 2 out of 3 maps .. instead of one large connected blob of landmass. Is this normal or is it related to what Civs that the computer generates ?

2. I've recently started "starving" cities down to 1 to be rid of corruption and so forth. What I do is make everyone entertainers (click on the food tiles), but the next turn it restores order and the food tiles are selected again - and I'd have to do it over and over again. As far as I can tell, the governor settings on these cities are off. Is this what everyone does, or is there a better way ? It's really tedious to starve large cities turn after turn.

3. Regarding tech researching, if I've researched part of a tech and then find out another civ already has it, can I switch to another tech without penalty or do I have to start over on the new tech? This might be worded badly, but is comparable to the palace pre-build , where I can switch to another item using the shields.

4. Do worker actions stack? As in, I can have one guy clear a jungle and then have another guy do the same thing on the same square. Does this make it faster or is it a total waste ?

Thanks in advance.

1. There used to be a bug specific to pangaeas, where it wouldn't be a true pangaea. However, 80% pangaeas mean more water, and there may be more than 1 landmass.

2. That's because the game wants your cities to grow. :) Also, starving a city doesn't help corruption. Use courthouses, and temples/markets for a WLTKD (We Love the King Day) at size 6 and above (all happy/content citizens).

3. In Civ3, yes. In PTW and C3C, no, you'll incur a penalty. However, the more civs that know a tech, the cheaper it is. Also, the more you research a tech, the cheaper it is to the AI (and vice versa).

4. It's better to stack your workers, since cities only use 1 tile at a time. For example, having 6 workers mine 6 different tiles in a size 1 town is a waste, since it's gonna take awhile before it grows to size 6.

Top Bottom