1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

a few questions about city improvements

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Lonkut, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Lonkut

Lonkut ..--""--..

1. Do you guys build all the improvements when u build a city? or just some?
    2. Do u really think about in which city u should build a wonder or not?

2. miller4242

miller4242 BassMaster

You should check out Ision's article on Wonder Addiction. His analysis and the posts about when and what to build are great!

I am no pro, but I like to build temples and libraries immediately after I am done expanding. This helps with your cultural boundaries.

3. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

1. No
    2. Yes

4. Helton

Helton Chieftain

In answer to #1, I don't build all the city improvements. It would cost too much maintenance to maintain.

5. Siv

Siv 5 more minutes!

About city improvement - Take a moment a see which improvements are needed most. Is your happines okay - no need for a expensive improvement like the Coliseum. Not every city needs a barracks. If a city is stagnant use it to create more workers.

As for wonder building - Obviously a wonder building city needs to have good spt, but look at the real possiblity of even being able to complete the wonder before another civ. How frustrating it is for another civ to build the wonder before you with only 1 turn left - and all those lost shields. arrg!!!

Good luck

6. Prince David

Prince David David di Xeno

My play tends to have three distinct phases. Expansion phase: granaries and barracks in core cities (alternate between settler and spearman w/ occasional worker). My population usually stay low enough to avoid need for temples. Second tier cities tend to be unit factories so they have barracks and perhaps marketplaces since their pops tend to be a little higher. Third tier cities tend to get temples or libraries to help expand my borders. This phase generally lasts until mid ancient or about 9-12 cities depending on terrain.

Conquest phase: First and second tiers make units, third tiers make catapults. Go conquer nearest neighbor or two. Sqeeze in marketplaces in core cities as pop begins to expand. By this time it's usually early to mid middle ages.

Growth phase: Pound in the infrastructure. Temples, libraries unis in all first and second tier cities, third tier do court houses then above. From this point on maintain med to large modern army as deterrent, but put most energy towards develping cities.

I only build wonders during growth phase if I get a surprize leader. (My current game got me an SGL for my first tech. I've had Pyramids since about round 20!) I'll usually get 2-3 during my conquest phase, though.

This has served me well through Reagent. We'll see if it'll hold for emporer.