1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A few questions about...huge guns.

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by TriviAl, Jun 10, 2003.

  1. TriviAl

    TriviAl Prince

    Joined:
    May 28, 2003
    Messages:
    542
    Location:
    South UK
    A disclaimer first: Sorry if this has been covered hundreds of times elsewhere!

    I have been using artillery/cannon stacks in my last few games, mostly to bombard cities, and I'm trying to wring the maximum :hammer: benefit from them. As far as I know they make an attack against their targets defense, with a cities population/improvements having a value of 12.

    A few questions:

    Does the distance the stack is from the target have any effect?

    Do the usual terrain/city size/fortification bonuses apply?

    Does being unable to 'see' the city make a difference (if 2 squares away on flat terrain)?

    Does anyone know the target is decided?

    Thanks very much to anyone who can help!
     
  2. The Last Conformist

    The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2001
    Messages:
    27,779
    Location:
    Not on your side
    Distance doesn't matter. Normal defense bonuses apply. I don't think seeing the target or not matters, but don't actually know.

    The target is picked randomly. 50% chance of unit, 25% of improvement and 25% pop IIRC. If there's no, f'rinstance, improvements to destroy, that porportion of shots automatically miss.
     
  3. TriviAl

    TriviAl Prince

    Joined:
    May 28, 2003
    Messages:
    542
    Location:
    South UK
    Thank you very much for the prompt answer. I'd just started wondering about it during those long 'b' pressing sessions that artillery stacks makes for... still, blowing up those resisters before taking the city seems to make my life a lot easier!
     
  4. Dr Jimbo

    Dr Jimbo Undefeated

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2003
    Messages:
    545
    Location:
    Dublin
    I suppose you colud trust that when you don't get any message, you've taken points of a defender. But I always try to sent a fast unit forward to 'observe' - I like to see those guys go from green to yellow to red, and it gives you an indication of how many defenders there are.
     
  5. TriviAl

    TriviAl Prince

    Joined:
    May 28, 2003
    Messages:
    542
    Location:
    South UK
    Seeing the defenders is a good idea... will have to start using heavy scouts.

    I have been using 2-3 well protected stacks of 20 artillery, for a larger city I tend to 'soften it up' for a few rounds before attacking it. Like to get it <size 6 before taking it, to minimize the resistance. Where possible they sit on a hill/mountain, but sometimes have to sit on a plain, scouts would seem to be the answer...
     
  6. Dr Jimbo

    Dr Jimbo Undefeated

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2003
    Messages:
    545
    Location:
    Dublin
    Getting them down to size 6 is a good idea. Once you're at cavalry or above against equivalent era defenders (or even with knights, I suppose), if you can see that all the defenders are down to 1 or 2 points, you can usually take them, even in a metropolis. By seeing how many defenders they've cycled through before the injured guys come to the front, you can avoid attacking when you're one fast unit short of taking out the last defender. Be warned that conscripts can sometimes appear unexpectedly, if you've only enough artillery to take them down to 2 points each.
     
  7. TriviAl

    TriviAl Prince

    Joined:
    May 28, 2003
    Messages:
    542
    Location:
    South UK
    I had suprise like that quite recently - used tanks to take out a load of bombarded/redlined Iraqois infantry and found healthy ancient age units under them - archer and horseman I think... fortunately it was a planned/prepared for war so had enough firepower to plough on through. If it's a war I've started then I tend to go for massive overkill...

    I don't normally have problems killing off the weakened defenders either. Just like to bomb the cities small to minimise the flip/riot headaches a foreign metropolis can give. Always find the most awkward warfare between Sanitation and Replacable parts. Did that once and now try and avoid it like the plague!
     
  8. Galcador

    Galcador Chieftain

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2003
    Messages:
    79
    Location:
    England
    Can anyone confirm/deny whether Radar Towers add to defence against bombardment? If yes, does this apply to population and improvements as well as units?
    I always take out the radar towers first if they're within range.
     

Share This Page