1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A few questions for all you pros...

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Leptomeninges, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Leptomeninges

Leptomeninges Chieftain

I just recently got back into Civ 3. I was a long time Civ 2 player, but was turned off by Civ 3 at release. I'm liking the Conquests version much better. Just recently played and won my first Emperor game (albeit admittedly with several cheap reloads -- I also limited the victory conditions to conquest). My questions for anyone who doesn't mind taking the time to answer them are as follows:

1. Using the zero tech strategy (trading gold for techs) -- when do you switch over to researching for yourself? Or do you ever? I tried to switch two or three times over the ages and had to go back to trading before I finally could hold my own research-wise agains the main AI civ.

2. How do luxuries work? I'm refering to the volume of a single luxury as opposed to different luxuries. Looking at the happiness window, it's clear that some luxuries are much more effective than others. I suspect this is because I have so much of that one. Essentially, if I'm already hooked up to one spice, does hooking up another help me at all outside of the opportunity to trade it?

3. Did they change the corruption formula with the new patch? What I'm really asking is if the palace rank exploit I've read about still works.

4. How were the civilization traits rebalanced? I've read in several spots that dominant traits like industrious and religous were toned down, while scientific and commercial were improved, but I am uncertain how the numbers were tweaked.

5. How does the barricaded fortress "zone of control" work in Civ 3? I expected it to be like building a simple fortress in Civ 2, but enemy units seem to walk right by me.

Thanks to anyone with the time and interest to reply to this.

2. howlur

howlur Chieftain

i'm also interested in the answers to some of these questions

3. Tatran

Tatran Deity

I don't get it.Someone who won a game at emperor
    start asking questions how luxuries should be handled.
    Never build a marketplace in your cities?

4. Leptomeninges

Leptomeninges Chieftain

Eh... Maybe I wasn't clear or maybe I'm just fundamentally dumb when it comes to luxuries. I understand that they increase happiness. I understand that marketplaces magnify their effect. What I don't know is if the quantity of a single luxury makes a difference or if only the sheer variety of many luxuries counts.

Anyway, thanks to all for having a look.

5. SuperBeaverInc.

SuperBeaverInc. Groucho

The amount of one type of luxury has no effect. 1 wines or 7 wines always produce the same amount of happy faces. Veriety of luxuries produces more happy people.

6. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

@ Leptomeninges

1) I think this mainly depends on the difficulty.The higher it is the more your tech scost to research, so it is better to buy them from the AI (at least until you catch up in tech)

2) As SuperBeaverInc. mentioned only different luxury ressources count for happiness.More of the same are only good for trade (you can get a lot of cash for them...and you can spend it via lux rate for additional happiness) and if it comes to war (because it is more difficlut for the AI to break the supply).

3) Corruption changes with last patch and those exploit was fixed.Courthouses have their effect increased, FP and SHQ increase OCN by 50%, but they now only effect distant and not rank corruption (at least direct, rank corruption is reduced through the higher OCN). For detailed information refer to this thread (the one which helps me understanding the system of corruption a lot more):
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76619&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

4) Industrious workers with conquestsare only 50% faster (was 100% before)
    Religious civs may have slightly longer anarchy (but I'm not sure if this was a bug in a further conquest version).
    Scientic civs get increases chances for SGL (5% instead of the normal 3%)
    Militaristic, Commercial (the boost you mentioned is IMO realtive if you compair it to the ones weakend) and Exp. unchanged AFAIK.
    From the two which were added agricultiral is very good and in my opinion now the best trait overall.

5) Units with ZOC get a free shot on passing units.Some units have a ZOC from the start, every unit gets it inside a fortress.

7. Leptomeninges

Leptomeninges Chieftain

Thanks for the replies. It's much appreciated.

8. wisewood

wisewood Chieftain

zero tech strategy works fine...till late in the game...then you have to get all the techs yourself...