A few questions...

RockMusic

Chieftain
Hey...I just recently got Civ3 and I have some questions about it:

1. How do you advance faster with your science? Ive played two complete games all the way to the year 2050 and neither time did I advance past the industrial age....that sucks.

2. How do you get espionage to work? I built the intelligence building in one of my cities and I clicked on the espionage button on the interface and the only two options were to spy on a city or to sabatoge. I want to set up propaganda in their cities.

3. How do you establish embassies in other civilizations? I can only establish them in the closest of civs.

Thanks in advance...

As a token of my appreciation, ill give you the link to my website which should entertain you (I hope it does, anyway):

Click here for my site

1) I'm already at gunpowder era, it's only 1500 AD...the key is balancing your sliders in the domestic advisor screen...take advantage of getting as much technology as fast as possible, while still earning income. To supplement your income, set some of your citie's production to wealth instead of a specific item, which does 2 things: a) doesn't build something that costs gold to maintain, and 2) supplements the gold you are already making.

2) can't answer the espionage question, but for the embassies, you have to have relations with the civilization in question to build an embassy there. For example, I've often traded technology, or world maps, for relations with other nations. Then I can double-click on the little star next to my capitol's name, and establish embassies with those countries that I have a relationship with...

here is my 2 cents...

you really have to play with the science rates in this game, start early and don't ever stop. in republic or democracy moving the slider down in science can generate enormus amounts of extra gold per turn-yet at the same time your rate of discovery does not always change. so do not just set your science rate at 70 and leave it there, you maybe actually be hurting your self---adjust it up and down from time to time and see how it changes things...

my keys to faster research: in despotism use your pop to rush build temples, markets, libraries, and courthouses. Switch to republic and build universities and then get to democracy. Banks and harbors are great too at this point. try to build science improving wonders like Cope in one of your core cities (that way it is not effected by corruption as badly). Build the Forbidden Palace to reduce corruption, which helps keep science and tax rate working efficient.

Also, remember those resource squares. Gold addes extra money and this boost your science. IF you have a lot of lux goods, then you don't need as many religious buildings (which cost gold) to keep people happy. build harbors, which allow you to make better use of sea square, which give good commerce under democracy. this all means more money for science and to support science buildings in all your cities...

Also, if you are kicking the AI around try this. Take a city, sue for peace and demand tech (if they have more than you). then declare war, take a city, sue for peace and demand a tech...

as to the embassies and other dip things, no can do there... the AI's have been suing for peace treaties and establishing embassies with me. I tend to be an isolationist.

If you are having trouble with this - Play the Babylonians. This aspect of the game will be much easier.

Top Bottom