1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A fix for 1UPT and 1GPR

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by sammoraj, Nov 16, 2013.

1. sammoraj

sammoraj Warlord

Hello peoples, does anybody know where I can get a mod that fixes the two most broken things? 1 unit per tile and the 1 gold per road? I was looking in the mods area and nothing seemed to exist that fixed them. (or I may of just missed it)
    Also is there a Ryse and Fall of civ for civ 5 yet? In addition, is anybody building a fall from heaven for civ 5?

2. kamex

kamex Emperor

Try playing Civ IV?

3. sammoraj

sammoraj Warlord

lol, very funny

4. Monthar

Monthar Deity

Those aren't broken, they're exactly how the game is supposed to be.

5. sammoraj

sammoraj Warlord

In my opinion they are broken, I want to know if there is a mod that fixes them.

6. Monthar

Monthar Deity

7. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

WHoward has mods that address the 1 upt piece of your question: http://www.picknmixmods.com/main/home/home.html (e.g., 2 units per tile, 5 units per tile, unlimited units per tile)

Can't recall seeing a mod that makes roads maintenance free (which is what I think you are asking for), but any mod that increased gold on the map could serve as a rough substitute.

8. sammoraj

sammoraj Warlord

9. Infantry#14

Infantry#14 Emperor

there are mods for stack units per tile, but there is no UI for it. Makes the game quite difficult to maneuver a stack of 20+ units.

10. sammoraj

sammoraj Warlord

thx, I will look it up

11. PreLynMax

PreLynMax Your Lord and Master

I agree with Monthar and kamex in the regards that what you are looking for is not in Civ 5. I formally regret this decision.

12. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Yep. Kal-el made one right when the game came out, iirc. I've been told the AI was ok at handling it as well, but they're certainly not optimized for it (and I suspect as they got better at 1UPT through patches, they got worse at stacks). I recall playing it once and the UI issues were significant (not impossible, it just required hitting w quite a lot).

I'm not about to go into the XML files, but I suspect gold maintenance is a pretty easy change for a mod for those who enjoy road spam once again.

13. sammoraj

sammoraj Warlord

To roads were and are infrastructure, maybe they should be expensive and slow to build, but the economic benefits should be more then what it is, something similar to civ 3 roads would be better in my opinion, but slower/expensive to build

14. Vidszhite

Vidszhite Prince

The more you say things like this, the more it really looks like you want Civ IV. :sad: Sorry to parrot everyone else, OP.

15. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Well, roads constantly cost money to maintain (hell, infrastructure as a whole costs money). That's why we have potholes. It's why lanes get closed for construction and we're struck with annoyingly high traffic and signs saying that speeding fines are doubled (although I suppose that's a gold generating thing ;) ). If your argument is that roads promote interaction, trade, and commerce, believe it or not but city connections do just that. However, maintaining pristine roads even in rural areas with no people usually is not financially advantageous.

16. MKDELTA3

MKDELTA3 Warlord

There's a 3 units per tile mod on Steam.

It has UI problems but it works. AI actually does better with 3UPT than 1UPT.

The more I play with it the more clear it seems to me that some sort of limited stacking with a broad combat rebalancing is the way to go. Ranged units are terrifying with 3upt because it's even easier to concentrate fire.

Civ IV had the worst combat system of any game I have ever played. :sad:

17. Xiao Xiong

Xiao Xiong Prince

There is nothing wrong with 1upt, there is just something wrong with the AI.

18. PreLynMax

PreLynMax Your Lord and Master

No, just the OP is simply playing the wrong game.

19. CultureManiac

CultureManiac Prince

Placing units in unlimited stacks, as in every version before CiV, is and was brainless, and can hardly be called a combat 'system'. Any AI that simply goes on a rampage with a Stack of Doom 20 units deep can't be considered that intelligent, and comparing CIVs 1-4 with what they are trying to do with 1upt combat is not fair to the devs or even the AI. CiV really broke with tradition with changes like 1upt and CS, and getting rid of SoD was a great move that brought me back to the series because I was tired of the mindless combat system and comparing who had the bigger stack. I know I'll get haters for saying this, and the system is not perfect by any means, but it's far more enjoyable than my last days of Civ4. Simply put (echo, echo, echo) if I want to play a game with SoD I can boot up one of the erlier iterations. Though the AI could play it better, I could hardly call 1upt broken.

20. Arcaian

Arcaian Warlord

1 UPT is one of the best changes CiV made, no idea why you'd want to go back unless you just can't handle the changes in tactics or strategy... but the AI does it so badly you should. Not trying to insult you; it really does just take a little more thinking, but so much better combat.