1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A friendly chat about Poltical Correctness

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Bozo Erectus, Feb 7, 2006.

1. betazed

betazed Seeking...

@Ram: My regards on that honest answer. :thumbsup:

:lol: Someone has to; also it is much more fun. :satan:

i intend to get back to it. May not have time for it today though. Damn work! :mad:

2. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

Brazil is one of the most violent coutries in the world, but is not one of the poorest. I think culture plays a much larger role than poverty.

3. Odin2006

Odin2006 Apolytonian

Happy Holidays would not be politically correct, not having any Christmans decorations at all would be PC, IMO.

4. Gothmog

Gothmog Dread Enforcer

luiz wrote:
    This goes right to my comment that sure there are some people who behave this way just as there are people who are racist skinheads.

First I hope everyone agrees that society needs to be protected from murderers and terrorists and so they should be apprehended and prosecuted. Anyone who does not agree to this... well... I would not want them as part of my society.

But, and this is where the call PC comes in, I do think there are reasons for things. That is, as Rambuchan points out, there are patterns. Crime follows poverty, crime follows the disenfranchised.

It is worth pointing this out. It is worth trying to reduce the factors that exist within our society that foster criminal behavior. It is worth trying to improve our societies for all of us.
    Who are these PC folk? Who would let people exhibiting barbaric behavior run loose in our society? A few fringe elements perhaps, but not more or less than the KKK.

Of course 'black' is not an offensive term to many, remember 'black power'?

Native American is a slippery term too, of course the Spanish invasion made these quite rare anyway. Indian is an equally bad term. Even AfricanAmerican would be limited to a very small group if used properly.

I think the point is not to call them Ni**er.

Basically to not use any term both as a descriptor and a derogatory, without understanding the implications of such an overlap.

@Bozo

As far as going too far with their language, again this is a fringe thing. Much like the 'snowflake baby' or 'un-American’ or even ‘liberal’.

Even the ‘happy holiday’ that slozenger brings up is as much a conservative thing as liberal, the whole recapture Christmas movement. These are not the same people who are ‘anti-western’ by any stretch of the imagination.

By painting things with the PC brush, people avoid thinking. That’s something humans are good at.

5. jonatas

jonatas tropicalista

It's the discrepancy in wealth that can generate violence in society. That is certainly present in large urban centers in Brazil, where you have an emerging middle class and then you have favelas in relatively close proximity. Ghettos are crime ridden around the world, even in 1st world countries. It's just that Brazil, which has fantastic wealth in natural resources, is in the process of modernizing itself and faces pressure with regard to poverty and violence in massive cities like São Paulo and Rio.

6. Taliesin

Taliesin Puttin' on the Ritz

I feel compelled to point out that the definition of "PC" in the OP is basically self-fulfilling because of 3 and 4. Under the definition, anyone can stop an argument by calling the other involved party a PC person. At that point, the supposed PC person can agree with the charge, which is tantamount to surrender of the argument; or they can deny the charge, which proves they're a PC person, causing them to lose; or they can ignore the charge and/or back out, which proves they're a PC person, causing them to lose. So, "PC" as Bozo would have it is in the same class of terms as "witch" and "commie", because once applied there's no way to remove it.

Some Blackadder should make the point:
    Spoiler :

"PC" might make sense as a descriptor of excesses of linguistic obfuscation, although I think that kind of thing is more usefully classed with other non-PC examples of the degradation of meaning. It's useless as a name for a political position, or as a tool of argument.

7. SomethingWitty

SomethingWitty Chieftain

8. punkbass2000

punkbass2000 Des An artiste

I don't know. No one will tell me what it is :(

9. punkbass2000

Well, at least I now have some sense of what it means to be "PC". Which people are doing this? Are they an organized group of some kind? Are there people that are "self-identified-PC-people"?

Then why is it silly to call "housewives" something else?

10. elfangor801

elfangor801 So cold....

I will say that I have encountered number three (And the others but notably three) many times since moving up to the Blue States :p.

Other person: BUSH IS A NAZI!/WAR IS ALWAYS EVIL ALWAYS NO MATTER WHAT!/AMERICA IS A FASCIST DICATORSHIP!/etc

Me: No, because of 'x', 'y', and 'z'....

Other person: Well, you're a: stupid/********/idiot/dumbass racist/not open minded/opinionated/etc, so I don't have to talk to you about it anymore.

Granted, this is with High School age kids and not everyone uses that logic but that's pretty much the pattern most arguments follow.

11. punkbass2000

I don't. You seem to have the opinion that begin non-commital is a negative.

12. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

I don't know if I agree with that ...

13. skadistic

skadistic Caomhanach

@ Somethingwitty

Islam is an awful violent religion go back a few pages on the christian world mobilizing thread and see the compilation of "kill the non-muslim" passages I gave. Now that doesn't mean muslims are awful violent people. Just the ones that make the news everyday wich like it or not is the face of islam today.

edited because i left out a key chunk of my post

14. betazed

betazed Seeking...

You don't have to be non-commital to play the devil's advocate.

15. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

I don't know about that ...

16. Irish Caesar

Irish Caesar Yellow Jacket

^
    :lol:

And being non-commital does not make you a Devil's advocate, either.

17. punkbass2000

I agree.

XCL

18. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

I think that poverty is not the main cause of criminality, though it is one. Of course, it is worth thinking of how to diminish poverty and the other causes of criminality. It is not worth trying to find excuses for criminals because of their environment, though.

The people who wrote the brazilian constitution, for exemple. In here if you kill some endangered animal you're in more trouble than if you kill a man. You can pay bail while awaiting a trial for murder, but not if the crime is racism. And it goes on.
    Don't tell me you never saw someone partially or even totally excusing some brutal crime on the basis of the social condition of the criminal

19. SomethingWitty

SomethingWitty Chieftain

Looks to me like it's the Christians that are committing a lot more violence. Just look at Iraq.

But you don't see me going around calling Christianity an awful violent religion. Or pretending that's the "face of Christianity" today to support my own bigotry.

20. sanabas

sanabas Psycho Bunny Hall of Fame Staff

Apologies if I cross-post, I haven't read the whole thread yet.

I read your first paragraph and thought you were talking about PC people to start with. Plenty of people who campaign/crusade/ whinge about things being offensive do so without ever actually engaging their brain. I've had PC-types get offended on my behalf when talking about mental illness, for example. Sensible, thoughtful, realistic people who moderate their tongues and minds are not the traits I think of when thinking about PC. Most people who I see having those traits don't label themselves as PC, and sometimes draw the wrath of those who do. IMO, people who label themselves as PC tend to show a thoughtless, knee-jerk, inappropriate reaction almost as much as the bigoted, racist loons who are their main target. Thoughtful objections to bigoted loons doesn't = Being PC.

It's a handheld earth-inverting agricultural implent.