A friendly chat about Poltical Correctness

SomethingWitty said:
Looks to me like it's the Christians that are committing a lot more violence. Just look at Iraq.

But you don't see me going around calling Christianity an awful violent religion. Or pretending that's the "face of Christianity" today to support my own bigotry.

Look at Iraq its not the secular US army ( they aren't all christians) blowing up little kids at the market or beheading people. Islam is based on violent teachings by a warmonger. It calls for the killing of non-muslims. Now many muslims are above such vileness but the vocale ones who grace the news with thier atacks on civilians, burning of embasies, and other horrible acts of violence in the name of god are what the west sees as islam.

9-11, Danile Pearl, Van Goeh, Madrid, London, USS Cole, suicide bombers, car bombs, IEDs, Bin Laden, Hamas, Al queda, Islamic Jihad, Taliban, Violent riots over cartoons, and an antisemetic antichristain lunatic leading Iran this is islam until the peacefull moderate muslims take control of the religion and change what we see.

If I was a bigot i'd hate all muslims for what they are not some of them for what they do.

I see the whole idea of political correctness as a bit of a sham, really. It's not "liberal" to refer to black people as African-American or get hissy or demand Christmas celebrations be renamed to things like "Winterval". Generally whenever something "politically correct" like this happens it's because someone who is not particularly liberal will want to demonstrate how fashioably liberal they really are and make a gesture towards it, without uinderstanding the reasons behind what they're doing.

Politically correct generally just means polite. If you are not comfortable speaking in realistic and honest terms with a person, there is really no need to antagonize them at all with a 'touchy' subject.

Relations between the 'black' and 'white' races in the USA will never reach the level of the facade we have created over it, unless people sit down and have an honest discussion. The disingenuous way in which we discuss this topic keeps any real progress from being made on the issue. We concentrate too much on economic and legal factors because they are easiest to deal with, and ignore the moral, social and psychological ones. However, the first step to having that discussion is willingness, and it is just not there in our recent leadership...on either side of that very obvious and not talked about line. ;)

skadistic said:
Look at Iraq its not the secular US army ( they aren't all christians) blowing up little kids at the market or beheading people.

It is Christians in Iraq who are blowing up little kids in markets. It is Christians who are raping little kids in rape rooms. It is Christians who are leading the whole thing from the comfort of the White House. It was Christians who started the whole thing.

Islam is based on violent teachings by a warmonger.

Certainly you don't mean Mohammed, who didn't teach violence and wasn't a warmonger.

It calls for the killing of non-muslims. Now many muslims are above such vileness but the vocale ones who grace the news with thier atacks on civilians, burning of embasies, and other horrible acts of violence in the name of god are what the west sees as islam.

Islam teaches no such thing. That's like saying Judaism teaches Jews to be greedy moneylenders. It's wrong and it's bigotry.

9-11, Danile Pearl, Van Goeh, Madrid, London, USS Cole, suicide bombers, car bombs, IEDs, Bin Laden, Hamas, Al queda, Islamic Jihad, Taliban, Violent riots over cartoons, and an antisemetic antichristain lunatic leading Iran this is islam until the peacefull moderate muslims take control of the religion and change what we see.

Iraq, anthrax, OKC, Sarajevo, Tim McVeigh, George Bush. abortion clinic bombings, 1996 Olympics, KKK, IRA, Adolf Hitler, holocaust. Like I said, muslims aren't different than anybody else.

If I was a bigot i'd hate all muslims for what they are not some of them for what they do.

As you slander the Prophet Mohammed, I'd say you pretty much hate all Muslims.

SomethingWitty said:

I'm done with you. Your a poopy head and I'll not dignafy you with anymore banter.:p

BTW Good show mate.:goodjob:

1. The West is always wrong. If theres a dispute between a Western group and a non Western group, a politically correct person will always take the non Westerners side.
This is a very political correct stance to imply that poltical correctness only exists in the West (only if we take it as a negative association). Each individual culture has their version of policy that would be correct to agree with and incorrect to disagree with, I suppose for a palestinian muslim, it might be politically incorrect to say that Israel might have the right to exist as a state. Whereas for an Israeli, it would be politically incorrect to say that they should genocide the Palestine.

skadistic said:
I'm done with you. Your a poopy head and I'll not dignafy you with anymore banter.:p
See my first post in this thread, paragraphs 2 and 3.

That's life. One day absent from the forum and you lose all the fun.
And considering my title, which admittedly is ironic, I suppose I am honour bond to post a comment.
Everything I wanted to say about the OP is already put rather well by messieurs Gelion, Gothmog, Taliesin, Rambuchan, Carniflex and a few others. I see no need to elaborate on that.
However.
Since this obviously means that we are free to characterize forum members, even ascribe to them collective and not entirely flattering traits, I will be all to happy to give my rough impression of the people who typically will be combating the loathsome PC crowd.
My name for those are - The Bubble Boys.
As is evident from the name, we are dealing with a group of males, preferably but not necessary young ones, who lives in what can be described as a bubble. With this is meant that they reside in a form of almost impregnable shelter. What they are sheltering from will be mentioned below. I must also add to mention that there might be a few female candidates for this community, but there is a fact that this forum has a compact majority of boys and men.
What are so the Bubble Boys then? They are diverse, but they have something in common. First of all, they have the concept of the harmonious society, the next-to-perfect society in which they live. A few catch phrases is usually in work here, like the "liberal democracy", "freedom", "the marketplace of ideas" and so on. Especially two freedoms are important; the freedom to uphold hierarchical structures, and the fundamentalist approach to free speech within the Bubble regardless of the consequences. For those outside, slightly other rules apply, see below.
Another typical feature is the concept of the "West" and the "Western values". Any true Bubble Boy will upheld the opinion that "the West" is superior in practically every aspect, that "the West" does nothing wrong, and that everybody else just should become like "the West" and so every ill would be cured. Because of this, a typical worldwiev of any Bubble Boy will be The Clash of Civilizations and a contempt for people who think that dialogues can be possible.
And here is where the Bubble comes in. The Bubble is the protection from what can be described as the Forces of Chaos, those made up by the fearful and ruthless PC'ers.
Basically they consist of everybody or anything which conflicts with the values in the Bubble, to countless to mention them all. But typically they will in one way or another challenge status quo.
What especially is worth mentioning here, is another Bubble Boy catch phrase; bias. Bias used to be one of the 7 wise in Ancient Greece, but it is also a word any true Bubble Boy will use when confronted with information from any media outlet from the Forces of Chaos. In the true Bubble Boy's mind, if it is disapproved by The Establishment, it holds no real value.
Now, as I mentioned, the Bubble Boys are not an uniform group, even if they share some important tenets. I can't describe them all, but I have to mention what I would describe as the Usual Suspects.
The Usual Suspects are the hard core, one might say the shocktroops of the Bubble. In their arsenal there is a vast collection of other derogatory terms like stupid, idiot, moron, communist, Bolshevik and so on, a confrontational attitude towards any component of the Forces of Chaos, a solid back-up of corporate media material, and for most of them if not all, an admiration for the US administration which often goes over to cheerleading. They are also, as befits such an illustre band, very persistent, not missing a thread, not an opportunity to hammer their message, to boldly defend the Bubble with any means available.
My reason for calling them the Usual Suspects, is that contrary to the Spanish Inquisition, everybody expects them...

I suppose or at least hope that a few can recognize certain posters in this description.

Now for some personal thoughts.
I don't know if it is an age thing, I might be too old for this forum, or that I have been especially lucky with debate forums on-line as well as in real life, but I must confess that recent development here has made me think that perhaps it is time for me to move on. The jury is still out regarding this.
And related to this, the silence. In my experience many a Bubble Boy has just quit discussions, even in this very thread that is the case, and I have no problems with that. It so happens that there is a world outside, and that most of us if not all, has obligations that are more important. Of course, it is always nice when somebody announces their withdrawal, but is a small matter anyway.
But there could also be other reasons to discontinue a debate, and the most important is: no common ground. Debating for the sake of debating can be fun the first year you study philosophy, but in general you tire of it after a while.
And just as a final comment; while tolerance can be repressive, I think it has a lot going for it anyway.

"The Bubble Boys" ~ Brilliantly thought out and delivered. Spot on! :hatsoff:

I hope that last paragraph was just something peculiar to today's mood, something that will fade away.

:nono: See, luceafarul, there you go being all politically correct again, pretending there's some kind of "other side" to the "story". :shakehead Honestly, why in the world should we trust a news source that doesn't have car ads in it?

(Nice post. :clap: )

Luce boy we will miss you if you leave....
Thanks for that post, I see it as a logical conclusion to my quick attempt ( :p ). good job with that :thumbsup:

I guess Im a Bubble Boy:lol: Everybody knows what a Bubbly Boy is now, right? I guess then we can say that a PC person is the opposite, or mirror image of a Bubble Boy. Betazed, I think youre right;)

You didn't answer my question. If I think calling blacks African Americans is wrong, does it mean I am a part of your non-PC group?

punkbass2000 said:
Well, at least I now have some sense of what it means to be "PC". Which people are doing this? Are they an organized group of some kind? Are there people that are "self-identified-PC-people"?
As we've seen in the thread, they identify themselves as 'sensible' and 'polite'. No they arent organized. Its people mostly on the Left (but not exclusively by any means), who share a certain world view. Political correctness has really become mainstream, what people laugh at are the extremes.
Then why is it silly to call "housewives" something else?
If one day a majority of housewives decide to start calling themselves 'domestic workers' I wont have a problem with that, but right now its kind of silly.

Rambuchan said:
"The Bubble Boys" ~ Brilliantly thought out and delivered. Spot on! :hatsoff:

I am glad that there are people here who approve of this, since then at least we can from now on counter any PCs with BBs...:D

I hope that last paragraph was just something peculiar to today's mood, something that will fade away.
My mood is only slightly melancholic, because it just keeps on snowing and flu season just started. Of course I couldn't miss out the fun...:mad:
But the last paragraph alludes to Herbert Marcuse. In general tolerance is a wonderful thing, but it can be used as a repressive tool.

Taliesin said:
:nono: See, luceafarul, there you go being all politically correct again, pretending there's some kind of "other side" to the "story". :shakehead Honestly, why in the world should we trust a news source that doesn't have car ads in it?
:lol: :goodjob: I guess I am particulary evil with my party line and everything.

(Nice post. :clap: )
Thanks.

Gelion said:
Luce boy we will miss you if you leave....

Well, so I guess I should stay then.:)

Thanks for that post, I see it as a logical conclusion to my quick attempt ( :p ). good job with that :thumbsup:
Yes indeed.
It is a variation over a theme by a master.:thumbsup:

Gelion said:
You didn't answer my question. If I think calling blacks African Americans is wrong, does it mean I am a part of your non-PC group?
Didnt see the question. Ok, well in the US if you have strong feelings against calling them African American, then no, you cant be considered PC.

The problem when you are trying not to offend someone, you will eventually offend someone, so why bother? I say just become as offensive as possible and the "PC" and "non-PC" will come after.

Part of what I have just said was a joke, but I have been attacked many times for my views, because the poster have cast my in a box that everyone of a certain view are such and such people. It is amazing that after I have been attacked by some people, that those of the opposite view have come to my defence, because as they know, they might disagree with me, but I am not someone who has a view without a reason, and many people have seen that.

Bozo Erectus said:
Didnt see the question. Ok, well in the US if you have strong feelings against calling them African American, then no, you cant be considered PC.
Thanks.... I guess this spreads onto the other things I've posted ;)

luceafarul said:
That's life. One day absent from the forum and you lose all the fun.
And considering my title, which admittedly is ironic, I suppose I am honour bond to post a comment.
Everything I wanted to say about the OP is already put rather well by messieurs Gelion, Gothmog, Taliesin, Rambuchan, Carniflex and a few others. I see no need to elaborate on that.
However.
Since this obviously means that we are free to characterize forum members, even ascribe to them collective and not entirely flattering traits, I will be all to happy to give my rough impression of the people who typically will be combating the loathsome PC crowd.
My name for those are - The Bubble Boys.
As is evident from the name, we are dealing with a group of males, preferably but not necessary young ones, who lives in what can be described as a bubble. With this is meant that they reside in a form of almost impregnable shelter. What they are sheltering from will be mentioned below. I must also add to mention that there might be a few female candidates for this community, but there is a fact that this forum has a compact majority of boys and men.
What are so the Bubble Boys then? They are diverse, but they have something in common. First of all, they have the concept of the harmonious society, the next-to-perfect society in which they live. A few catch phrases is usually in work here, like the "liberal democracy", "freedom", "the marketplace of ideas" and so on. Especially two freedoms are important; the freedom to uphold hierarchical structures, and the fundamentalist approach to free speech within the Bubble regardless of the consequences. For those outside, slightly other rules apply, see below.
Another typical feature is the concept of the "West" and the "Western values". Any true Bubble Boy will upheld the opinion that "the West" is superior in practically every aspect, that "the West" does nothing wrong, and that everybody else just should become like "the West" and so every ill would be cured. Because of this, a typical worldwiev of any Bubble Boy will be The Clash of Civilizations and a contempt for people who think that dialogues can be possible.
And here is where the bubble comes in. The bubble is the protection from what can be described as the Forces of Chaos, those made up by the fearful and ruthless PC'ers.
Basically they consist of everybody or anything which conflicts with the values in the Bubble, to countless to mention them all. But typically they will in one way or another challenge status quo.
What especially is worth mentioning here, is another Bubble Boy catch phrase; bias. Bias used to be one of the 7 wise in Ancient Greece, but it is also a word any true Bubble Boy will use when confronted with information from any media outlet from the Forces of Chaos. In the true Bubble Boy's mind, if it is disapproved by the Establishment, it holds no real value.
Now, as I mentioned, the Bubble Boys are not an uniform group, even if they share some important tenets. I can't describe them all, but I have to mention what I would describe as the Usual Suspects.
The Usual Suspects are the hard core, one might say the shocktroops of the Bubble. In their arsenal there is a vast collection of other derogatory terms like stupid, idiot, moron, communist, Bolshevik and so on, a confrontational attitude towards any component of the Forces of Chaos, a solid back-up of corporate media material, and for most of them if not all, an admiration for the US administration which often goes over to cheerleading. They are also, as befits such a very persistent, not missing a thread, not an opportunity to hammer their message, to boldly defend the Bubble with any means available.
My reason for calling them the Usual Suspects, is that contrary to the Spanish Inquisition, everybody expects them...

I suppose or at least hope that a few can recognize certain posters in this description.

Now for some personal thoughts.
I don't know if it is an age thing, I might be too old for this forum, or that I have been especially lucky with debate forums on-line as well as in real life, but I must confess that recent development here has made me think that perhaps it is time for me to move on. The jury is still out regarding this.
And related to this, the silence. In my experience many a Bubble Boy has just quit discussions, even in this very thread that is the case, and I have no problems with that. It so happens that there is a world outside, and that most of us if not all, has obligations that are more important. Of course, it is always nice when somebody announces their withdrawal, but is a small matter anyway.
But there could also be other reasons to discontinue a debate, and the most important is: no common ground. Debating for the sake of debating can be fun the first year you study philosophy, but in general you tire of it after a while.
And just as a final comment; while tolerance can be repressive, I think it has a lot going for it anyway.

Ah, now here is a well-defined, identifiable sub-culture. :)

Are all you PC guys having fun taking turns biatch slapping me?

Top Bottom