A Frostling faction?

Warlord
Going to make a Frostling faction that comes in to play after the Illians finish their ritual to summon them(forgot the name). Mokka is the hero, and the faction will be at peace with White Hand civs. Won't automatically be at peace with the Illians, they need to establish the religion for the Frostlings to recognize them.

I've seen no thread about this, so here is a couple of suggestions :

- When the Illians complete the Samhain ritual, they can either continue with their former civ or abandon it and take control of the Frostling civilization, just like the Infernal/Mercurian mechanic.

- Its leader will be Agnostic and Barbarian. They can adopt the WH religion though.

- Whenever a White Hand soldier dies, a part of his soul returns as a Frostling and serve this faction.

- I don't think they should own cities... Instead, they should have a lot of lairs spawning Frostlings every X turns. These units are quite weak and they need to upgrade them into moar powerful units (such as archers and wolf riders). They get gold from plundering and use it to hire Frostling Archers and Frostling Wolf Riders in their lairs. Maybe they can have one single city where Mokka and Fiacra the North Wind appear.

- They have a diplo bonus with the Illians and the Doviello, and a diplo penalty with everyone else.

- They win when 90% of Erebus is covered with Ice. They may share the victory with the Illians and the most powerful WH civilization (maybe a new condition victory).

- When the Illians complete the Samhain ritual, they can either continue with their former civ or abandon it and take control of the Frostling civilization, just like the Infernal/Mercurian mechanic.
I think this is a pretty silly idea. Why would you want to abandon your ascension to godhood, to go and lead a bunch of annoying little goblinoids? It would also mean a LOT more effort, and unique art, would be required to make a playable race out of them.

I think the frostling civ should be a non-playable barbarian race only, same as bhall/agares/cernunnos.

I'd say they should spawn free frostlings, frostling wolf riders, and frostling archers, in any snow/tundra tiles that the RNG sees fit. I'd say they should have the same techs as bhall, so roughly the same units would appear.

Also, perhaps after The Deepening is built, I'd like to see them able to spawn Frost Giants, which would have similar stats to Wilboman.

And of course, the illians should be at peace with them

It's a barbarian faction, so there won't be any option to take control of it. This of course means that they will be unable to own cities (Limitation with multiple barb factions Xienwolf has mentioned).

They will NOT start at peace with the Illians, but ARE at peace with all White Hand civs. Basically, if you can adopt the religion you'll be at war with them... Religious hardliners. :lol:

I like the Forst Giant idea there.

But all the barbarian civs are led by gods. It's traditional.

not really led by them obviously, it's more just a common figurehead that they worship.

It's a barbarian faction, so there won't be any option to take control of it. This of course means that they will be unable to own cities (Limitation with multiple barb factions Xienwolf has mentioned).

They will NOT start at peace with the Illians, but ARE at peace with all White Hand civs. Basically, if you can adopt the religion you'll be at war with them... Religious hardliners. :lol:

I like the Forst Giant idea there.

Will the Illians be able to make peace with the Frostlings? Ritual, perhaps? Samhain being the obvious choice....

Dude, I think a Frostling civ would be hella cool. We should try it.

Edit: I absolutely love Frostlings. Sometimes I WB them in just for fun. :D

I agree, I see no reason why someone would not want to switch to controlling frostlings.

A frostling civ would require LOTS of new art and design work...which nobody has volunteered to do.

That being said, I'd love to see someone put one together. Might be a bit difficult to do something interesting without stepping on the toes of Clan of Embers and /or the Illians...but I'm sure it is possible.

In a way that semi-relates, is it even possible to let a player control a civ that's supposed to be barbarian? Cause I've always wanted to play as the Animals.

why not add it to the barbarian civ like they did demons and animals be sure to add random giants serpents etc

I give this idea two thumbs up. Frostlings are very fun. They teamed up with my assassins and Archmages spamming Earth Elementals to lay waste to entire Continents. Essentially just getting in the way and being cannon fodder and being targets for enemy assassins but still managed to kill a few things. ^^

More powerful Frostlings would be even funner. Like Frostlings on skiis or sleds. :p
Anything to make Frostlings and the Illians even cooler is ok in my books. :D

Given that my Frozen civilization (a winter summonable civilization) is being added, I was thinking that instead of adding a Frostling new civ as well, maybe making the Frostlings one of the barbarian civs (Orcs, Animals, Demons) that are summoned when you complete Samhain, but without the option to switch to them? Or they could be in the game all along, but don't start spawning until Samhain?

I agree that they shouldnt be a playable race, it wouldnt make much sense - how would you go about controlling such a rabble! Having more diversity in their ranks would be fun though.

One thing that has always bugged me to the point where I am in the process of "fixing" it in a small module, is the fact that when Mokka spawns the text popup states he has an "item of power" yet he has no such reward for killing him.

Top Bottom