1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A Full out list of things wanted (sans civs/leaders)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by leftisthominid, Aug 4, 2006.

1. leftisthominid

leftisthominid Warlord

REPEAT DO NOT TALK ABOUT REQUESTED LEADERS OR REQUESTED CIVS

This is for requested game functions or religions or etc.

Couple ideas that come to mind:
    Greco-Roman polytheism
    Native American religions
    Inquisition... This thing would allow one to recreate history for accurately
    Dual religion holding, its been done in history. Example, the Pāla rulers of eastern India were simulataneously Brahmanists and Mahāyāna Buddhists
    Religious victory, you raze all the holy cities that are not of your religion and your religion makes up say 70% of the globe including religionless cities
    Genocide
    Sect formation in Religions

give more ideas

2. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

Inquisition... do you want to play out the Holocaust too?

Oh. I guess so.

3. Quotey

Quotey Emperor

I love the idea of Religious Victory.

4. ulsterman88

ulsterman88 4-2 Rangers rule supreme!

For me sect formation is a defenite, can only think of a few though
    Christianity- RC, Protestant and Orthodox
    Islam- Shia and Sunni

not sure about hindu, taoism etc....

5. zulu9812

zulu9812 The Newbie Nightmare

Well, he's trying to change civ to more accurate historical model - I suppose that necessarily includes the nasty stuff

6. Gilder

Gilder Deity

This is just making the religions overly complicated.

7. FuRRie

FuRRie King

seriously, don't make religions complex or similar to real life, ever noticed how many pointles wars happened (are happening) because of "different" beliefs.
    So many people on this forum complain about the little historical errors (and geuss what 90% doesn't care!) so let's not make even more people whine about small mistakes.

8. CharmzOC

CharmzOC Chieftain

The sect formationis great but how it would be implemented would be tough. how exactly would it affect the game play. Somethings that i would like to see would be an improved UN system, increased importance of the navy, diplomatic changes with regards to nukes, and basic improvements to the diplomacy interface with the AI.

9. Phrederick

Phrederick Warlord

Religious victory could be an awesome way to play, although I think razing all other holy cities wouldn't be a good requirement. Something like a large majority of all cities have that religion, and no other religion is anywhere near as powerful. That would probably require some sort of inquisitor unit that can remove a religion from a city. To meet the victory requirements the unit would have to be able to remove religions from cities in other nations, and that would be hard to design. Perhaps can only remove a religion that is not the state religion, and cannot do it at all in Free Religion.

10. leftisthominid

leftisthominid Warlord

Some people doubted the value of inquistion so I'm just going to clear up why it would be good.

Say you are operating under a non-Theocratic state and so are your buddies, and your buddies are only on the same religion as you because its the only religion they know of, but then you "accidentally" found a new religion (lets assume its somewhat late into the game but not too late), Taoism. Are you going to risk letting Taoism spread into your buddie's lands? No way and thats especially true if your buddies are spirituals.

And then on the non-historical side what if you just want to be a jerk and bully other religions, well with inquisition you can
    That is why you need inquisition

11. dh_epic

dh_epic Cold War Veteran

Religious victory is pretty pointless. You pump out lots of missionaries. And the civilizations that won't let your religion in -- you beat on them until they open their borders, or kill them and raze their cities.

Domination Victory is already in the game.

If there's going to be a religious victory, it's going to be with a more robust religious system. The current system is too simple (with a yes/no attribute for each religion in each city).

12. Dearmad

Dearmad Dead weight

Paratroopers

Cruise Missiles

option to determine resource/luxury frequency/clumpiness with map creation without having to mod

13. romelus

romelus NUCULAR!

real carriers, the kind that eats battleships alive

14. alpha wolf 64

alpha wolf 64 Byte me

<double post deleted>

15. alpha wolf 64

alpha wolf 64 Byte me

allow ships to bombard improvements and troops.

Allow fighters to be assigned to an area to be patroled.

Counter bombarding by besieged arty units.

Auto bombard, and recon functions.

Sentry command where a unit will patrol back and forth between 2 points.

inquisition that would allow you to purge other religions from your cities, maybe at a lose of 1 pop per religion removed.

Its seemed strange to me that instead of medieval infantry, we now seperate into axes, swords, and maces, which as I recall would have all been mingled in together as a single unit. yet modern units which have huge gaps in technology, when the units really are much stronger than its predecessor. Can you imagine how little chance a tiger tank would have had against a 1970s MBT. Against a modern MBT, its shells would have no impact at all. I've always felt that the late industrial and modern ages were only included in order to include the spaceship race.

I have a new thread somewhere with a whole lot of simple programming changes to make the AI better.

16. Dagta

Dagta Chieftain

I don't see the point in adding any more religions to the game. The religions currently in the game are all exactly the same except for name and founding date/technology.

17. Dearmad

Dearmad Dead weight

They already do. A fully staffed carrier can take out any 2 or 3 battle ships with a little tactical maneuvering. Using air for recon, then slam him with the other two... move away...

18. Argothik

Argothik Chieftain

Forgive me if this is already implemented, but I'd love the ability to automate missionaries. Similar to say the automated worker.. where they automatically go to cities that don't yet have their religion. While I'm initially selective in spreading my religion (as far as is possible) to ensure that my friendly neighbors are brothers and sisters of the faith and my choice targets aren't (attacked your friend.. bleh). But, after founding or conquering holy cities, I love to use missionaries as another means to offset my typically ridiculously high military costs. Its especially tedious after you have 3 or more holy cities and are planning to use Free Religion civic in the future.

Personally I'd love to see 3 options:

[Automate Missionary Function within Borders] ~ Spreads the religion just to your cities

[Automate all Missionary Functions] ~ Spreads the religion virally to both your cities and anyone with an open border

[Manual/Goto Mode] ~ Present functionality (afaik)

Arg
    Yet another embattled Emperor player.

19. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

Religious victory: It is an interesting idea, but the way religion is set up right now, its meant more as a cashcow and an ego boosting mechanism (oh, i got the AI to switch to my religion or I forced my vassal to switch to my religion) than a legitimate field of battle.

If real-world empires can be described to exist on several dimensions, economic, military, cultural and religious, Civ4 as a game deals with the military dimension the best, cultural less so, and the economic dimension is abstracted largely as part of the larger military industrial complex.

The fact that missionaries will need to be built, which usually means players have to divert valuable production away from other things, is a big concern for me. simply tagging in a religious victory without considering this will wreck the game, because players will be trading off building something else (improvements, units, wonders) to pump out missionaries. There is a finite amount of production avaiable to each player.

A suggested concept for a religious sytem in a future Civ game is to make religion more volatile, that is, there maybe 4 slots in a city and once those 4 slots are filled out, a new religion will have to displace one of the 4 existing religions. Religions inside cities may also have to be reinforced from time to time with additional missions from the holy city.

If you take this concept and add gameplay advantages to the civ holding the most converted cities, then you have a viable, non military field of battle, a religious front. But to do so will require a fundamental shift in the game mechanics. We'll have to move away from directly producting missionaries to perhaps building structures than spawn missionaries, or have every converted city spawn missionaries.

Alternatively, missionaries could be developed much like military units, with new 'religious' technologies unlocking more potent missionaries, just as new technologies unlock stronger military units.

20. Stuie

Stuie Laudir Agus Mir

That's an interesting idea... almost like EU's center-of-trade jockeying. Then again, constantly sending merchants to the same COTs in EU gets kind of tedious after awhile.