A game plan good for Regent/Monarch

Swiss Bezerker

Emperor
Are you at the Regent or monarch difficulty and strugling?I have got a few tips that may help you

Getting a good start on a game is vital:it will shape the whole game. For example:Lets say you started on 10 squares of desert(the game wont let this happen dont worry)you would get no food and do horribly.Or if you started near 3 cows on grasslands.Ive been in a position where I got the theory of evolution in 3 turns. makes a big difference huh?Back to the point.Youl need a start location with 2 places in the radius where there is 2 food 1 sheild.At least.If not restart.First turn turn up the science all the way up to 90 and rearch A)Alphabet if u dont have itB) if u have it get Masonry or C)if both,get bronze working.If you dont you cant catch up to the computers in science:(Then you build a city and make the worker join.Then switch to setler.If you did it right in 5 turns u should have a setler out.Move this setler 4 squares away and then build a city. in the meen time build a spearmen or 2 wariors:1 to explore and one to defend depending if u have bronze working or not.After that build another setler.Repeat.Now back to the second city.Once it has proper defence build 2 workers and send them on a road to your capital.then make them automate.continue from theyre building many cities.Go derectly to philosify after ure first tech trade with opponents u meet.when u get philosofy get literature as the free tech and build the grate library in youre capital.Then go for mathematics and currency.Currency is extremly tradable.when u get to the next age change your government to fewdalism and take 1 path in the tech tree:Top or bottom.If top go for Free artistory and if bottom go for military tradition while getting techs with great library along the way.Suntzu art of war is useful.If your UU is in this eera go to war with week nabour's.(see other threads)Tip:shakespears theater can become amazingly useful if u get it early.Cavalry can own if used early enough. Ether will get u a big edge against youre opponents.In the next era go the following path:steam power,Ironclads(tradeble)electricity, medecin,and then scientific method.then go for theory of evolution What u do from theyre is ure choice But please: dont get MPPs.ule end up at war with someone unpleasant :( .

If u follow this strategy u can win without execive trouble.On monarch ive won twice:once wonder(china) and once diplomatic(egypt) overall, have fun :)

Are you at the Regent or monarch difficulty and strugling?I have got a few tips that may help you
:) ;)
Ive been in a position where I got the theory of evolution in 3 turns.
Wait, the ToE is 600 shields. You mean you had a 200 spt city? :eek: If you used prebuilds, you should explain that, too.
Youl need a start location with 2 places in the radius where there is 2 food 1 sheild.At least.If not restart.
Wait, I remember a Deity GOTM where we had absolutely horrible land, but many managed to win.
First turn turn up the science all the way up to 90 and rearch A)Alphabet if u dont have itB) if u have it get Masonry or C)if both,get bronze working.If you dont you cant catch up to the computers in science:(
You can also research almost anything and still keep up in the tech race, as long as you build a good infrastructure...
Then you build a city and make the worker join.
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you crazy? The worker will pay for himself in about 30 turns! Unless you plan to win by then, this is crazy!
then make them automate
Never ever do this. The AI will irrigate grasslands in despotism, walk halfway across your empire to make a road that will be completed by the time it arrives, etc.
build the grate library in youre capital.
I smell wonder addiction...
Then go for mathematics and currency.
Don't you have the Great Library? Why are you researching?
while getting techs with great library along the way.
GL becomes obselete with Education, so if you go on the top, you'll obselete your precious Library.
Suntzu art of war is useful.
Well, if it didn't cost 600 shields, which is almost 9 knights...

I suggest you read what some of the most accomplished players here have to say in the War Academy.

You can't get more than 200 without the iron works and some hills... and a golden age...

I WAS PLAYING ACCElerated PRODUCTION also I had a Sh*t load of railroad.I did have a golden age from cossack

GREAT LIBRARY ISSUE:I find that now that I am more experianced with the game, I dont need it and I go for something else.

The worker trik works way better then you would think:that extra early citie makes a big differrence in overall expantion

About the deity winning with bad land:WEll I have much 2 lurn.

Automating saves alot of time:Many people dont have much time on their hands.Whether u do this or not is your choice.

Swiss Bezerker said:
On monarch ive won twice:once wonder(china) and once diplomatic(egypt) overall, have fun :)
Hate to say this but wonder is a joke victory and diplo is prety easy(if you dont trash your rep build the UN yourself (for that use a prebuild)) I'lll dismantle this articile in full later.

Ok, time for me to do my bit...

Swiss Bezerker said:

I'm Emperor level and actually should be playing DemiGod, but I'm too lazy :blush:

Getting a good start on a game is vital:it will shape the whole game. For example:Lets say you started on 10 squares of desert(the game wont let this happen dont worry)

Depends on the difficulty level you choose! I once got dumped on a 40 square island and inside a 20 square desert... Should'nt heve picked Low land archipelago arid I guess

you would get no food and do horribly.

Not if you choose to play the Dutch

Or if you started near 3 cows on grasslands.Ive been in a position where I got the theory of evolution in 3 turns. makes a big difference huh?Back to the point.Youl need a start location with 2 places in the radius where there is 2 food 1 sheild.At least.If not restart.

The ideal starting place is a mixture of grassland, forest and hills, preferably with bonus or strategic resources in radius

First turn turn up the science all the way up to 90

Why not 100%?

and rearch A)Alphabet if u dont have itB) if u have it get Masonry or C)if both,get bronze working.If you dont you cant catch up to the computers in science:(

Alphabet will probably be a 40 turn advantage at the start (especially when you play your first turns without a worker!). If you research that, it's better to turn the science-slider to a one beaker low. That has the same effect as if it were on 6 or 7 beakers, but gives you a 5 or 6 coin profit each turn.

Better still wold be to research the cheapest tech (Pottery, Ceremonial Burial) at hand and keep that up throughout the game. It's not very hard to outresearch the AI's on Monarch. I must admit I never researched it, but I feel that option is the cheapest in terms of techs per turn.

Then you build a city and make the worker join.Then switch to setler.

A worker's worth is 20 grain and 10 shields. If you let him irrigate and mine your worked tiles you will have that worth within 30 turns (as mentioned before). Joining the worker gives you a few turns headstart on the settler, but not more than 5 or 6 max. After the first settler is out, you've used up your advantage and are suffering from unworked tiles. Try it yourself if you don't believe me, the difference should become apparent before your capital spits out the 2nd settler.

Then again, why not build a granary first and use you capital as a 5 or 6 turn settler factory?

If you did it right in 5 turns u should have a setler out.

WTF?! 6 shields a turn on unworked tiles? This can only be true in accelarated start-up. Starting positions as good as what you describes are impossible...

Move this setler 4 squares away and then build a city. in the meen time build a spearmen or 2 wariors:1 to explore and one to defend depending if u have bronze working or not.After that build another setler.Repeat.Now back to the second city.Once it has proper defence build 2 workers and send them on a road to your capital.then make them automate.

Owwwwww, please don't automate! Automated workers are 10 times less effective than unautomated ones. Especially players who are strugling should be micromanaging everything! If not for efficiency than just to get a good feel for the game and the requirements of your civ.

continue from theyre building many cities.Go derectly to philosify after ure first tech trade with opponents u meet.when u get philosofy get literature as the free tech

Correction: Take the tech that is the most expensive, you'll get it for free, so get out a max profit. Most of the time however, that tech will be Literature

and build the grate library in youre capital.

Read the article about wonder addiction

Then go for mathematics and currency.Currency is extremly tradable.when u get to the next age change your government to fewdalism

Most people advise Republic. Me personally: I prefer Monarchy. Can you provide some arguments about your choice of government?

and take 1 path in the tech tree:Top or bottom.If top go for Free artistory and if bottom go for military tradition while getting techs with great library along the way.

How about Education? It's about halfway in the age and as soon as it's researched, you loose your precious library...

Suntzu art of war is useful.If your UU is in this eera go to war with week nabour's.(see other threads)Tip:shakespears theater can become amazingly useful if u get it early.

Don't let a UU get in the way of warmongering! Go get them! Build an army, don't waste to much time on wonders but start butchering your neighbours.

I usualy start with the one closest to hand, if there's more than one (pangeae) I take the strongest. Alliances with other civs may come in handy, but if not necesary, why bother?

Cavalry can own if used early enough. Ether will get u a big edge against youre opponents.

I don't understand this part, could you explain it a bit more?

In the next era go the following path:steam power,Ironclads(tradeble)electricity, medecin,and then scientific method.then go for theory of evolution What u do from theyre is ure choice But please: dont get MPPs.ule end up at war with someone unpleasant :( .

Which will ruin your reputation. I actually agree with you on that point ;)

If u follow this strategy u can win without execive trouble.On monarch ive won twice:once wonder(china) and once diplomatic(egypt) overall, have fun :)

Please read all the articles in War Academy and the Info Centre and practise what you read. Some things of what you have written are commonly known to be unwise (or even untrue) and should not be recommended to beginners.

Accelerated Production is generally not allowed in any HOF or recorded games...

Youl need a start location with 2 places in the radius where there is 2 food 1 sheild, at least. If not restart. First turn turn up the science all the way up to 90 and research A) Alphabet if you dont have it B) if you have it get Masonry or C) if both,get bronze working. If you dont you cant catch up to the computers in science

I would like to disagree with your comments on what to research first. When I first started playing I tried to follow a specific formula as to what to research and when. Since then I have been shown the light by many of this games greatest players by reading/lurking in the HoF, GOTM, SGOTM, SG's and of course the War Academy.

Always going alphabet first will not always provide you with trading possibilities. You need to look to see who your oppenents are (F10 check out space race) and see what their starting techs are. If you happen to be playing against the English/French/Indians/Romans/Greeks They all start with Alphabet so your research would have gone to waste for trading possibilities.

There are very few formulaic aspects to this game that will work in every situation. IMHO it is what makes this game so replayable. You need to learn to play to your situation.

Lastly you mention that if you do not get one of these techs you will not be able to catch up in tech. This is 100% not true. It is possible (and a lot of fun) to play Monarch and much higher levels with the science slider set at 0% for the whole game. I've personally been involved in a Emporer SG with that as a Variant. It makes you hone your trading skills and makes you rely less on having to research yourself. As you move up in levels it becomes more and more difficult to out-research the AI. If you do not hone your trading skills at lower levels it will make the jump to higher levels much more difficult.

For Reference look at these games for doing 0% research and improving your trading:

Jumpmasters 1B: Power is Knowledge (Vanilla, GOTM mod - Emperor - No research)
Variant Rule: No research - science slider 0% from the beginning to the end of the game, no scientists ever. No studying at home either! I'll be watching you

Training game emphasizing trading - Emperor

Lurk/read through these games and you will pick up invaluable information on trading and many other game mechanics points. BTW the second one I've listed is still in progress and I'm sure that Bede and Rik (trainers) would be happy to answer any questions you might have after your read through the game.

Lastly, this is not a slam or a slight to you but if you are going to post a thread telling people the best way to do somthing in the game make sure you are taking your time to think out what you are saying before you post. I'd hate to think that if I were new to the CFC and this article were the first thing I came across.

Cheers!

I WAS PLAYING ACCElerated PRODUCTION also I had a Sh*t load of railroad.I did have a golden age from cossack
You should have railroads in every tile you own... so a "Sh*t load" is impossible, since that implies more than full.

Top Bottom