A general strategy for America (BNW)

megabearsfan

Prince
Continuing my series of Civ V BNW strategies, I have just published a guide for a legacy civ that received minor updates: America.
Please check it out at:
http://www.megabearsfan.net/post/2015/03/26/Civ-V-America-strategy.aspx

This strategy focuses on how to use America's Mainfest Destiny power to your advantage by strategically buying tiles and using your increased line of sight for reconnaissance and city sieges. It also covers using Minutemen as renaissance explorers and barbarian hunters in order to utilize their new "Golden Age From Victory" promotion. The focus is on America's military powers, but I also cover some ways to use these powers towards victories other than domination. As always, the guide also covers counter strategies against America.

As always, I appreciate any feedback, so please comment, share, or rate the post as you see fit. I also welcome any discussion about the strategy guide or American strategies in general in this forum topic.

Additional strategies for the BNW civilizations can be found at:
Assyria the tech thief
Brazil the jungle king
spicy Indonesia
Moroccan gatekeepers
Poland the progressive warhorse
Portual borrows luxuries
Land-snatching Shoshone
Blindly managing Venice
Beware Shaka's loincloth of DOOM!

Additional BNW strategies for updated legacy civs:
French tourist trap
Spreading faith with Arabian Ships of the Desert
India is misunderstood
German engineering
Living by the Japanese sword

I will also post a similar thread on the official 2k forums once they stop giving me a "Page Not Found" PHP error whenever I attempt to submit the post... :/

This is another great article in the series, thanks very much! I am always motived to retry the civs you write about.

It has been a while since I played them, so I could not remember if the American scout counts as a military unit for the purposes of the Sentry promotion, and your article answered that.

I wanted to ask if you are sure about this bit:

Stealth Bombers already have 100% evasion, the carried-over B-17 Evasion promotion won't have any effect.

I usually pick up evasion (after air repair) for my stealth bombers. Have I been wasting a promotion all this time? It certainly seems to help, but then confirmation bias is terrible thing...

Still, even if no effect, the free siege promotion makes it work upgrading Bombers rather than building Stealth Bombers directly IMHO. Air Repair out of the gate is quite OP!

This is another great article in the series, thanks very much! I am always motived to retry the civs you write about.

It has been a while since I played them, so I could not remember if the American scout counts as a military unit for the purposes of the Sentry promotion, and your article answered that.

I wanted to ask if you are sure about this bit:

I usually pick up evasion (after air repair) for my stealth bombers. Have I been wasting a promotion all this time? It certainly seems to help, but then confirmation bias is terrible thing...

Still, even if no effect, the free siege promotion makes it work upgrading Bombers rather than building Stealth Bombers directly IMHO. Air Repair out of the gate is quite OP!

As I understand it, the Evasion (100) promotion reduces the likelihood of an interception by 100%. That means that Stealth Bombers cannot be intercepted. The only damage that they take is the counter-attack from the units or cities that they bomb. Adding further Evasion promotions, therefore, has no effect. So based on my understanding of the game mechanics: yes, you have been wasting a promotion on giving Evasion to your Stealth Bombers. But I'm not 100% certain of that.

I'll admit that I rarely play a game to the point where I use Stealth Bombers, and its even rarer for me to see Stealth Bombers used against me, so I am not entirely clear on these rules. It's also possible that they've changed in the expansions or patches. If that is the case, then I hope that somebody corrects me :crazyeye:

And to be clear, I did not mean to say that you shouldn't upgrade your B-17s to Stealth Bombers. I just wanted readers to be aware that the Stealth Bomber won't benefit any from the Evasion promotion of the B-17. But yes, the Siege is absolutely beneficial for Stealth Bombers. It's also worth noting that Stealth Bombers cannot be stationed on Aircraft Carriers, so that is one reason why you may not want to upgrade.

Top Bottom