A general strategy for France (BNW)

Great to read the good discussions! I'll take a closer look at your guys' comments and make revisions to the strategy post if needed.

This is true, it's not that cathedrals are bad per se. Just not really a priority. The tourism from the city of light dwarfs any +2 tourism you're getting from individual unthemed great works. So typically if I have filled all my wonders I will use them for golden ages instead. Only if you miss all the wonders and have to go for a wider archaeology/chateau approach, would cathedrals be good.

it's true they are available. but +2 tourism just doesn't really do a whole lot. the gap in time between your first artist and building Sistine or Uffizi is not that long, so it's just not a priority under the tall/wonder approach. IMO France is all about the theming bonuses first, only if that doesn't work out should you try the other approach. (or you're on deity). if you have crap land and don't see yourself getting the wonders, then yes cathedrals would be good. But you also might want to consider another victory option in that case...

Well, filling them for the +2 isn't that great, but using them as temporary storage for medieval and renaissance works can pay off later when you have the Sistine Chapel, Uffizi and/or Louvre. Having 2 or 3 medieval or renaissance arts saved up in your cathedrals means that you can immediately place them in Sistine or Uffizi and start taking advantage of the double theme bonus, rather than having to try to spawn 2 more renaissance or industrial artists.

I have updated the strategy to clarify this point.

Thanks Megabearsfan!!!

I love these things and I hope you eventually make one for every civ!

Believe me, Carl, I wish I had the time to do one of these for every civ. I do want to keep writing them as long as time permits, and as long as there is enough interest in Civ V to make it worth the effort. I'm going to focus on the civs that have been changed for BNW and/or the ones who have new strategies since the expansion. I'll keep writing them as long as people keep reading them! :c5happy:

Did anyone notice that France starts on jungle way too much on the continents script?

These were awsome.

Could you please please do a write up for,

(1) Japan
(2) England
(3) Ottomans

Thanks

I do intend to do Japan, as they were explicitly changed by the BNW fall patch (along with Germany).

England and Ottomans are both on my list of candidates for future posts. It all depends on how much time I have available to do them all. Check back in a few months to see if I've gotten around to them! :)

I made some progress on my Autocracy Cultural strat, but I started the attacks too late. Still ended up with a 300+ turn game. I need to try again and attack sooner.

I've managed to grab ND twice in a row by going NC > MC > Physics. I'm excited about that.

Speaking of which, what's going on with Prora? I expect a big happiness boost as soon as I complete it, but I'm not seeing it. Am I misunderstanding what it does?

Speaking of which, what's going on with Prora? I expect a big happiness boost as soon as I complete it, but I'm not seeing it. Am I misunderstanding what it does?

I couldnt get Prora. Its funny but in both complete games I played, the first ideology went to Autocracy and it wasnt me that founded it.

That being said, an extra 50% culture from Cult of Personality on top of an already full blown Paris is much desirable. All you do is bribe the right guy against the right victim. Control of congress is also desirable lest somebody votes in an embargo against the worlds culture leader. I hate that.

I cant wait to play some more games, but time is tight right now.

Can't really help you with this unless we have more info. Yes, Prora is supposed to give bonus happiness based on how many SPs you've adopted (not sure if it includes opening trees). It's possible that some other civ with a differing ideology may have become "popular" with your civ on the same turn, thus neutralizing the bonus from completing Prora.

Top Bottom