A general strategy for Gilgamesh

megabearsfan

Prince
Since my series of Civ V strategy guides turned out to be popular, I'm going to start writing some similar guides for the leaders of Civ VI. Last week, I published the first such guide for Gilgamesh:
http://www.megabearsfan.net/post/2017/02/19/Civilization-VI-Gilgamesh-strategy.aspx

Since Civ VI is still fairly early in its life-cycle, any guides are prone to changing significantly as new patches, DLC, and/or expansions are released, and as the community discovers new strategies and/or exploits. As such, I welcome any feedback and constructive criticism.

As a full disclaimer, I'm still playing most of my games on the King level to test out a new civ, and then move to Emperor once I'm more comfortable with that civ. I still haven't played much on Immortal or Diety, so the guide may be lacking specific tips for those strategies. So I particularly welcome any feedback from Immortal/Diety players.

In summary: Gilgamesh's bonuses are mostly front-loaded early in the game, but this allows the civ to get off to a running start. The War Cart is an excellent unit for hunting down barbarians in order to get bonus tribal village rewards. And they can also be used effectively for an early war rush against an immediate neighbor if you're feeling particularly aggressive.

The Ziggurat also allows Sumeria to to get a good science and culture lead. Be careful with this, as district costs scale up based on your progress through the tech and civic trees, so make sure your tech progress doesn't outpace your production capability. The advantage of having a science improvement (as opposed to a district) is that you can more carefully control you science progress by managing whether the tile is being worked at any given time. Work the Ziggurat when you need to get to a tech ASAP, and re-assign the citizen to a food or production tile if production cost inflation starts to become a problem (ideally, before it becomes a problem).

Gilgamesh also gets reductions in warmonger penalties against the enemies of Gilgamesh's allies, and shares unit experience and pillage rewards with allies. So he can play "world police" to a degree. By allying with weaker civs being picked on by stronger civs, he can use the aggression of the stronger civs as an excuse to declare on them and keep them in check. From what I could tell, the warmonger mitigation only applies to the declaration of war. So if you start capturing/razing cities, then you'll receive normal warmonger hate.

Again, the full guide is here:
http://www.megabearsfan.net/post/2017/02/19/Civilization-VI-Gilgamesh-strategy.aspx

As always, I appreciate any feedback, so please comment, share, or rate the linked post as you see fit. I also welcome any discussion about the strategy guide or Gilgamesh / Sumeria strategies in general in this forum topic.

I also have a series of Civ V strategies that can be found on my blog:
http://www.megabearsfan.net/category/Strategy.aspx/?tag=/Civilization+V
and some have been ported over to the Civfanatics War Academy:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/forums/civ5-war-academy.451/

Happy Civ-ing! I hope to have more guides available soon! :)

With it being early in the cycle; I'd recommend it also stating towards the top; maybe in the disclaimer that this is as of the December 2016 patch. (If the next patch drops next week a few months from now people will forget which side of the patch line this was written for.)

I would like to note that in this game Knights require Iron not Horses.
In your guide it says that you need to have 1 source of horses to upgrade your war-carts into knights.
I'm liking the guide regardless.

I would like to note that in this game Knights require Iron not Horses.
In your guide it says that you need to have 1 source of horses to upgrade your war-carts into knights.
I'm liking the guide regardless.

Good catch. I will correct that as soon as I get the chance! Must've slipped into Civ V-mode when I wrote that bit...

With it being early in the cycle; I'd recommend it also stating towards the top; maybe in the disclaimer that this is as of the December 2016 patch. (If the next patch drops next week a few months from now people will forget which side of the patch line this was written for.)

Also a good suggestion. I will add the date and version number to the disclaimer.

You may want to mention ziggurats give you tourism with flight.

Another good catch. Thanks. I have added it.

BTW, is there a way to see all the specific sources of tourism within a city? The city screen doesn't seem to show tourism output like it does with all the other yields. It occurs to me that I've never actually paid attention to how much tourism is granted to culture improvements once flight is researched. Is it 1-to-1?

I also made another correction: I had mistakingly included the "Pay half cost to levy CS units" under the header of Gilgamesh's "Adventures with Enkidu" ability. This is actually part of Sumeria's "Epic Quests" ability.

BTW, is there a way to see all the specific sources of tourism within a city? The city screen doesn't seem to show tourism output like it does with all the other yields. It occurs to me that I've never actually paid attention to how much tourism is granted to culture improvements once flight is researched. Is it 1-to-1?
Have you tried the tourism lens?

Top Bottom