A giude too nuclear war

Obssesed Nuker

Resident Nuclear Launcher
Okay so your in the modern ages and you have had it with the other civs. They demand this and that and dont give you anything in return. You want too just get rid of them with your stockpiles of nukes. But you dont know how this will work out. Well heres a small guide how too wage a nuke war.

What you are gonna need

1. Teh Manhatten project
2. obviously more nukes than the real world has.
3.Uranuim and aluninum too build those nukes.
4. Have a delivery system(IE Nuclear Subs) capable of getting to nukes in out of reach targets(applies for tacticals only)
5. Soldiers and tanks in transports just outside enemy sea terroritory(and on land also)
6. Paratroopers.
7. the reasources needed too build this army and navy
8.A killer Economy(considering all the units your about too support)

Optionals are

1. A SDI System
2. restricting enemy access too Uranium

After doing the building and positioning
Luanch every nuke(keep some in reserve if you want) at ALL the citys on the planet(cept yours of course) depending on how many nukes you have you might be able too do the nuking a city several times over. Than have your army storm everybodys beachs and conquer them. easy uh?

Could you explain some of these? Like why would i need to waste shields and prolly 4 turns to get paratroopers? Convince me otherwise...

And then they get stuck and killed because they aren't very good, unless you are playing on like chieftan or warlord. And you dont neccessarily need the Manhattan Project, u can always let the computer build it.

Don't forget to get spies in your opponents capitals. If you don't end up destroying their empire in the one turn, having that enemy nuke sub off your coast (or ICBM) will give you a nasty little suprise.

I have done more damage with a few modern armor in one turn than with an army of paratroopers.

**When you take over enemy cities, you use their roads/rails. When I have significant modern armor, I can almost destroy an civ in one turn without nukes, transports, helicopters, etc.

Won't work if:

A- AI has SDI and many ICBM's

B- AI has cities outside range of paratroopers with several ICBM's in each.

== PF

I could easily destroy any AI on the planet with a stack of 200 artilleries, a dozen settlers, and 2 dozens MAs. Btw, they are much cheaper and faster to build than nukes. If I don't have MA, I just go ahead and use cavalries. Now, unlease the cavalries against enemy MIes, MAs, or whatever. Isn't that a lot more fun than using nuke?

Or start in the Future Age like I do, have all the techs, and just research the MP and link up the aluminum/uranium and start nuking away.

But, heed the warnings. I've been involved in many MANY nuclear wars in this game. If everyone has nukes, and once you launch one, every other civ launches theirs. It speeds u global warming and terraforming. Any wars you're involved in the AIs are likely to use nukes against you. You can feel the tension and eager anticipation of that first ICBM dropping. Even though ICBMs are the most powerful weapons in the game, to me, they're only meant as a last resort...not a first strike :)

Nukes are the greatest, 80+ nukes, hit every city on the plahnet and you win, I never eva EVA build modern armour, then a) boring and ) boring and c) a waste of shields. Build paras, and drop them in by the buket load, remember to have 300+ bombers bombing enemy railways and drop them in, victory is assured. Rather than the tank stomp!(which is absolutely boring as hell) the massive diersities of modern units are moe powerful than simply tanks.

Originally posted by amirsan
Hey Obsessed Nuker, now that PTW is out you can start in the Modern age and start Nuking cites much faster.

That is soooooooo not true. First, you still have to get the techs and rescources to make them, and since you start in the Modern Age, your cities are goin to suck, so they can't make anything quickly. I tried it, and i won the U.N. because i got it and had everyone love me. It was like the quickest game i had ever played!

Nuking is a decent strategy if you are a warmonger who doesn't care about pollution. If the cities are sufficiently spread out and you can get to them with MAs then thats fine. If the cities are crowded it is in fact a BETTER idea to use artillery and MAs and pick off the cities one at a time.

Using MAs, artillery, and the lilly pad approach, you simply hop from one city to another until you've exhausted all your moves or you've taken all the units. Sometimes this requires a lot of heavy prep but its just as good. This is better for builder types, like myself, who don't like to clean up pollution.

Personally, I think the lilly pad approach just makes more sense. Nukes destroy improvements, destroy land by making it plains or desert, and if you want to kill citizens just starve them. Also MAs are easier to make and you can use the more than once as long as they survive.

I only see nukes as a deterent to other civs attacking me, especially those with nukes themselves.

Also this "guide" isn't very much of a "guide." Its more of a "lets point out what's painfully obvious about waging nuclear ware... you need nukes!" Sorry if I'm being rude but I don't see any value added here.

I use nukes all the time :D

Strategy seems like crap since there's a limit on ICBM's to 40, right?

I didnt run into it.

Playing Civ III for a year now and NEVER have I built one paratrooper (usually over by then anyway). I guess I should try it and get back to you. btw.. I agree with Hellfire, not really a guide here.

2. obviously more nukes than the real world has.

Hmmm.... wow, you must not read much!! Russia alone on a First Strike would launch 2400 Nukes at the USA alone!!! They would still have enough left over for seconds and thirds plus strikes for China, Korea, South America, Canada, England and Europe numbering thousands per strike . Now, lets count everyone elses Nukes in the Real World. .... we are talking atleast 10,000 nukes if not twice that number!!!

I'll tell you what works for me:

Become the fastest growing nation and develop ICBM and SDI either before everyone else, or at the same time as one or two other civs. I build no less than 50 ICBMs and 20 tactical nukes. I don't bother with nuke subs normally unless I have excess money or time. You can always tell who has nukes or SDI by offering a trade deal and reviewing their techs. I.E: If France doesn't have satellties, they obviously don't have ICBMS.

Once I've achieved my stockpiling, I'll form MPP's with the other nuke carrying nations, or at least the next best competitor. This is merely to gain popular opinion. I'll make freinds with any nation that is within bombing range of my terra firma, and enemies with those further away (for now). It's not the norm for me, but when I played last by a stroke of luck I managed to enter into my Golden Age right before I began stockpiling nukes. Naturally, this really helped.

If possible, I then provoke lesser nations into war. In this case I'll say France has a small city within my comfort zone, with a medium sized nation nestled between nuke-capable India and America. I send my modern armor to them and let it sit outside the gates of the city (the one bugging me) until they declare War. Or if I get bored or sadistic I'll just start the war myself.

France is incapable of defending itself from my nukes, so I'll spend up to or maybe a little more than half my stockpile removing their civ from the map. I nuke cities, railroads and resources until the geopgraphy nearly 100% orange desert. When I'm done France is all but castrated. Within five turns India and America have begun squabbling over the unclaimed territory. But while they squabble, I scheme.

Now is the time to prepare for the counterattack. I amass the bulk of my modern armor, marines, tanks and mech infantry in strategic locations within my borders, anticipating the landing force by either India, or America... or both. Cruise Missiles, Bombers and Stealth Bombers along my ocean fronts compliment the Battleships who lurk within strike range. Defensive postures, cruise missiles and bombers easily defend my shores. I have yet to lose a sea going combat unit, regardless of the enemy's attack force.

So America and India will automatically wage war against me. But since I have SDI and SAM missile batteries in every city their first wave is ineffective. If by some chance they manage to take a poorly defended coastal city then I simply move my tactical nukes to the affected area and expend a few to "biopsy" the enemy city (yeah sure I could artillery for this, but nukes are just so much FUN!). After it's been removed from my rail and road system, I encircle the stronghold with modern armor, artillery and Marines. If I don't just take the city back outright then I make life for it impossible. They may be able to take my city, but I'll be damned if I let them exploit it!

Now I eye the next smallest nation. Let's say the Egyptians. I can tell they are not nuke capable, so I spend the remainder of my ICBM's and utterly flatten Egpyt. Again, cities, railroads, resources until it's all gone. Greedy nighboring nations will again fight local skirmishes over the table scraps I've left over from my slaughter.

So... France and Egpyt are gone. India and America are nearly incapable of mounting an effective offense on my homeland because of tremendously good planning. Any leftover armor, mech infrantry and marines I'll load onto transports and focus on some Island nearby, just for kicks. Doesn't matter who controls it... if there is a strategic value I'll definately attack.

If there are any other medium sized civs who may be able to confront me then I lie in wait and continue building my defense forces. By the time they land, it's like Barney Fife charging Anzio. They'll be slaughtered and I will have a private laugh at their expense.

This philosophy may not "win" the game for me, but it clearly meets my objectives... to dominate the globe militarily.

This is how I wage Nuclear War. Thank you, drive though.

Top Bottom