1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A Glorious Sepulcher; Fresh Start NES

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by TheLizardKing, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Lord_Herobrine

Lord_Herobrine Back in the Saddle

Awesome update! :D

Can't wait to see what kind of economic grip I have on the central seas. :mwaha:

2. The Farow

The Farow NESer

I really enjoy that my warlike culture was given the color pink. No one will suspect the pink blob until it is too late. :mischief:

By the way that was a great update. Well worth the wait over the weekend.

3. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

Nice update TLK.

A list of nations and players for each cradle would be helpful for diplo.

4. TheLizardKing

TheLizardKing Let's talk Michelle.

Those will come with stats, till then I'm afraid everyone's gonna have to rough it and look back in the NES. :p

5. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

That works; thanks.

6. ZeletDude

ZeletDude The Lion

But looking back a few pages is oh so difficult. :cry:

:p

7. TheLizardKing

I will be spending the entirety of tomorrow organizing a proper way to organize the ideas I want to implement, so hopefully stats up tomorrow night.

8. Grandkhan

Grandkhan Telvanni Master Wizard

Is it not too late to do some posts about cultural stuff about the culture of the Termi Dor and other Dori? Everybody's long post about culture puts me to shame. :p

I was thinking of writing up a thing about Termidorian artwork, architecture, family structure, castes, that kind of thing. Is that ok?

9. TheLizardKing

Of course, I don't mind. It fleshes things out!

10. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

Tog standards are unlike those of most nations. We are not linen or wool, dyed and mounted on a wooden frame. We are something else entirely.

Perhaps it would be best if I started from the beginning.

I was born on one of the smaller islands of Keāa Muk, worn by a boy who soon grew larger and stronger than his peers. I spent my bearer’s childhood tanning in the sun, my calloused fingers gripping the salt-encrusted lines of a fishing net while my feet went bare upon wooden hulls, hot sand, and slippery seas-side rocks. With time I was stretched with the muscles of early manhood and my bearer learned to throw a spear and fire a bow. Many times I was cut by spear or pierced by arrow but always my bearer recovered and I would heal. We were Muka and we were strong, sailing the straits between Tog and Muka and pillaging wherever there was weakness. The Tog would do the same to us; coastal raids for blood sacrifices and wealth are a great tradition amongst both our people.

One summer, as I reached my darkest and I peel in thin white sheets to reveal lighter layers underneath, my bearer’s ship was ambushed by a Tog patrol. Our ship was outnumbered and first I was pieced by an arrow and later by a spear. My visage had grown fierce prior to my bearer’s death and I was covered in dark and gruesome tattoos to strike fear in the Tog and to indentify my bearer by his fierce reputation. And so I was recognized and the Tog butchers took my bearer back to their shores.

I knew I would soon begin to stink and I wondered why I had not been pushed into the sea as so many of my brothers had been but the Tog had a different plan for me. They took my bearer to a hunter and there they cut a line across my shoulders and down my back with a curved and wickedly sharp skinning knife. Over the course of a relatively short period of time the hunter expertly separated me from the muscles and tissues that I had protected for nearly 28 years.

I was stretched and tanned. After 3 days I was mounted on a frame. The frame was wood and looked like the spokes of a wheel, except without the wheel and with one spoke, the handle, much longer than the other. Stretched over these spokes I was gruesome indeed- with bat like wings- my back cut from the torso and extended out with my arm and long trailing tails- my legs- mounted on spokes but left to trail below them.

The raiders then dyed me- black and white and purple and grey and I looked more like some dark bird then the skin of a man. I was mounted on the prow of a dhow and when the raiders turned their bow to the enemy I knew that I struck fear in their enemies.

When we struck the coasts, one of the raiders would lift me from the prow and carry me into battle. With some villages the Muka would recognize the tattoos I still bore from before and some might look a little closer and realize what, and who, I was. Then I was truly terrible to behold.

Since then the practice of man-flaying and the use of banner made from man-skin has spread throughout the Tog, but to my knowledge, I was the first.

11. Nailix

Nailix Damn!

Don't forget Serdio #1 uber power! ;)

12. J.K. Stockholme

J.K. Stockholme Right Opposition

How goes stats TLK? I'll be waiting for them before writing any background.

13. TheLizardKing

They're coming along. It's been hard to organize my thoughts and everything in a decent manner; I'm also experimenting with a few ideas on how to handle economics. I have made, and summarily deleted two entire stat sets thus far.

I want to make sure this NES works before I throw stuff out there. So I'm taking my time. For those of you waiting for stats to do stories, or diplomacy, please don't. Stats are important, but this NES is too (hopefully) be pushed forward through story. As I said, a large level of parity exists between PCs in this realm, currently, for whatever that's worth as well.

14. J.K. Stockholme

J.K. Stockholme Right Opposition

Duly noted. Though it might just be me, I find stats tend to inspire me to think of the actual people I'm dealing with, no matter how rudimentary, so I'll still wait around patiently. Do take your time; I look forward to the system.

15. TheLizardKing

Understandable. I will admit, I am in much of the same category. Hopefully sometime soon I'll have some working ideas in order, and I can press the 'start' button.

16. Grandkhan

Grandkhan Telvanni Master Wizard

The Culture of the Termidorians

Religion

As evidenced by the excavation of various Dori, religion played an important role in the culture of the Termidorians. The Cult of Lisdor, God of the Seas, in particular, was central to life on the islands. The Är, or Priest-King, of Termidor was held as the high priest of Lisdor in the culture, and it was under his aegis that the state-sponsored rituals and sacrifices were held. Twice a day, at high or low tide, the Är would go out onto the cliffs near near Dori Lissar and, thronged by worshippers and attendants, physically throw terrestrially produced foodstuffs (such as meat, milk, grains, bread or vegetables), clothes, jewellery, and tools into the Ocean as a sacrifice to Lisdor. These objects were believed to be unable to be created by Lisdor, and in return for his bounty of the Sea the Termidorians would give him the wealth of the land in exchange.

After the Är would give the People's Sacrifices, individual worshippers and supplicants could go forth and cast their own sacrifices (of similar objects, though in smaller quantitates) into the sea for Lisdor, in exchange for the sea's favour. Traders and merchants were inclined to hold sacrifices to Lisdor before undertaking a voyage. The remnants of many manufactured items such as axes and hammers, as well as the resides of foodstuffs, has been found at the feet of the cliffs near the site of Dori Lissar.

Lisdor, in his form as a Fishman. Image courtesy of the Institute of Termidorian History

Similar Rituals were held by the Är-Qur (lit. Priests who Walk). The Är-Qur were priests of Lisdor who had taken a vow to roam the Dori, preaching to the faithful and carrying out sacrifices for them if asked. It was typical for an individual who was undertaking a sea voyage or other endeavour to track down a passing Är-Qur, and ask them to officiate a sacrifice for them. In this way, even those living outside Dori Lissar are able to enjoy the blessing of Lisdor. The Är-Qur were also responsible for the disposal of the dead - traditionally done by casting them into the deep sea by boat or off a cliff, in order for the deceased to join Lisdor and serve him in his Kingdom Beneath the Seas.

Technology

The Termidorians were skilled metalworkers, and the smelting of bronze and copper was well known in the Dori. Archeologists have found many examples of copper and bronze jewellery in the Termidorian style across the Dori, and even further beyond, reaching Makkat and even across Wotk into Istall and among the Satirites. The Termidorians developed the technique of inlaying gold into bronze, making beautiful jewellery. They also smelted bronze to make their weapons and armour, and to make tools for various tasks as well.

Termidorian shipbuilding was also very advanced for its time. Termi Dor constructed its vessels from the wood of the pine tree, which was grown in plantations near the mountain at the centre of Dori Qur and on Dori Lissar, as well as several forests on Tlleya, Dorshor and Lyre. The vessels of the Termidorians tended to be long and sleek, capable of moving fast and were capable of long sea voyages.

A tracing of a wall carving of a Termidorian warship, found at the excavation of the palace of the Merchant Prince Ariqur Teri Ariman. Image courtesy of the Institute of Termidorian History

Food

Termidorian agriculture was relatively advanced, with the farmers of the Dori irrigating their farms from the local springs and lakes around the islands. The Termidorians grew various crops, principal among these being barley, which was preferred to wheat due to its ease of growth in the climate of the islands. The Termidorians supplemented their vegetable diets with various fruit and vegetables grown in orchards; figs were a staple fruit during this period. However, due to the lack of good farmland in the Dori, and its relative lack compared to demand, the Termidorians subsisted to a great degree on fish, which was gathered by fishermen on coracles and other small boats close to the shore.

17. Arrow Gamer

Arrow Gamer America's Dictator

I did send some Diplo, but got no response.

18. TheLizardKing

Initial cultures are up save for a few NPC's in Cradle 3 (I think?); no, you can't do anything with them until stats are done. Stats are now fully being completed, that I have organized that mess, and figured out how I want to tackle UU's. I'll be steadily updating the front page with rules, stats and UU's over the next day or so. When that's all completed, I'll respond to NPC diplomacy.

EDIT: Also, for the record, UU's are not completed yet. There aren't many, but there are enough that I tried to make units that I felt deserved special attention. This includes elephants, one of many ships, charioteers, etc.

19. TheLizardKing

I managed to get Cradle 2's stats, cultures, UU's, and UU sprites all completed spread out across the front page. So if you are in Cradle 2, feel free to start it up. :)

Working on the rest tonight, and into tomorrow. Further rule explanations will come later, for now let me explain some things I feel like people are going to ask immediately;

-You can join another person's culture without asking their permission, you just have to discard your own to do so. It'll also take a period of 2 turns (subject to change)

-The culture points you get are all at a basic flat rate. You get more points for building temples, fleshing out your religion, beating others in war, trading, doing anything really. I must emphasis, these will not be hard to come by. Culture points are what is going to allow you to 'buy' more points for your basic culture, and expanding your culture through UU's.

-With that, the UU system is coming entirely from culture points. It'll be along the lines of 50 Culture points = 1 UU point. Or something. I'll have to see the ease in which I feel like giving out culture points, to cement that.

20. bestshot9

bestshot9 Monkey Sharpshooter

Digging it, man, especially the sprites, ads much more flavor to the world.