1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A Guide to Farming Great People

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Padmewan, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Padmewan

Padmewan King

diamond geezer: a lot depends on what you need. You definitely need GA's for a cultural win, and they are also helpful when warmongering. But getting them when you really need production or money can be a bummer.

2. DeltaV

DeltaV Chieftain

Ah, Danke schön!

3. Master Lexx

Master Lexx Warlord

I always try to get Great Prophets only, this is the easiest way to make a city with 500+ gold income per turn.

4. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Deity

Another way of looking at it is that getting +100% GPP will multiply the number of GP that you get by about sqrt(2) = 1.41. That's if you have no other cities producing GP and you have no other bonuses (philosophical, etc.). The National Epic is somewhat less valuable if you have other bonuses, but not a lot less (e.g., going from +100% to +200% is worth about sqrt(3)-sqrt(2) = 0.32 times what your "base" production of GP without bonuses would be, or sqrt(3/2) = 1.22 times what your "prior" production with the other bonuses would be). All of these are still a win even if 10% or so of your GP are "wasted".

5. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Deity

Right, going from +200% to +300% is going to be worth about sqrt(4/3) = 1.15 times increase in your rate of GP, which means, in your hypothetical case, more Great Artists and slightly less of everything else.

But aren't you usually going to have two National Wonders, and perhaps some Great Wonders too? The more you have, the less the one extra source of GA points is a minus.

Besides, I don't think of the GA as useless.

Also, most of the time you won't be philosophical (with random leader selection), and you may also not be pacifist (depending on other priorities), and so there are many cases where the National Epic is considerably more valuable.

6. obsolete

obsolete Deity

I agree. I don't bother wasting the precious hammers on it. I only care about engineers, anything else just adds polution. It really sucks to finaly have a great person emerge, and find out it's someone you really couldn't care less about. #%$@$#

7. Taelis

Taelis Warlord

In defense of my original position - I did say "sometimes". And I meant it, sometimes I do build the National Epic. But it's something I always consider carefully, because the National Epic doesn't always give you more great people of the right kind. Sometimes you get more artists, and fewer of the great people you really want.

I just wanted to spread the word - think carefully before building the NE. ;)