A Guide to Posting.

Metzi

Oh bugger.
Do I need this?

Do you have a game that you can't win? Do you want to gloat about your victorys? Do you want to ask for advice? Do you want to post images/saved games?

Well you can. And this guide will, with hope, make it a breeze.

How do I post?

How to I start a thread? Posting a subject is a very easy matter. First you will want to find the area to post it in. If you are hoping to post a stratergy guide, for example;
Forum->Civ IV->Stratergy & Tips->Stratergy Articles.

Then, on the top-left part of the screen, there will be a box entitled "Start a Thread". Click this. You will then enter a box-like application containing Emoticons, Fonts & Sizes etc.
More on this box is covered later in the guide.

How do I reply? Replying to a thread is very much like starting a thread. Once you have entered the thread, press the box in the top-left hand entitled "Reply to thread". Then, you will enter the box-like appliaction with Emoticons, Fonts & Sizes etc.

How do I post an Image?

How the hell do I do it?!? This technique is called uploading images. We suggest joining Imageshack. It is an online-image holder. From here you can post your images!

First, we must join the site? How? Well, follow the onscreen instructions. It is a free site, thus there are no financal withdraws.

Secondly, how do I upload images? This is a simple process:
1) Click start on your computer-tool bar. Then click, in this order;
My Computer->C Drive->Program Files->Civilization IV
->Your current expansion pack (Mine is Beyond the Sword, thus BTS)
->_Civ4 ScreenShots.
2) We suggest creating a file to hold all your pictures. Then, you
can copy/cut your photo's into this folder, making it easier to upload.
Cut/Copy and paste away!
3) Now, enter your Imageshack account! Click 'Upload' and begin! If you
have taken our suggestion, this is made even easier as you can get
pictures directly from the file. Sweet!
4) They will now be uploaded onto the site, there until you delete them
or the world ends.

Thirdly, now that we know how to upload the images and start a thread/reply, we can now post the images.
1) Enter the Thread/Reply you want to post the picture(s).
2) Enter Imageshack. We suggest you window this, allowing quick acess for quick posting.
3) On the pictures you have uploaded, there are several options to the side of each picture, represented by dots/circles.
4) By selecting the exclamation circle/the top circle, you will have access to a number of things. A URL located in the center of the pop-up has a box above it. Tick this box. Then copy the URL.
5) Enter back into the post, and paste the URL into the post, where you want it.
6) By putting around the URL, the picture will appear there when you have posted! YES!

Posting-box tools.

The easy. You can see to the left side of the box emoticons. By clicking on one of them, the emoticon will apear acording to where you are on the post.
Fonts and sizes can be changed by the top two boxes at the top. If you highlight text, you can change the font of a letter or a word or a sentence etc.
This highlighting of text can be used for all of the options.
There are 'center' tools, shown as lines.
You can Bold, Italic and Underline text by highlighting the text, and pressing the button. The buttons are shown as B I U.

The more complex. You can enter spoilers around text. This will alow the text to be hidden from view, allowing views with a choice of viewing it or not by pressing "show".
To enter a link, press the icon that is an Earth with a Chain or Link, If you like. By clicking this, you can enter the URL of your site. If you highlight a text when entering a link into the post, when anyone presses the text, a new window will open at the URL you specified. Good, isn't it?

Conclusion.
You can do alot of fun things with this application. ALOT!
Try experimenting and always remember to preview posts, so that you don't publicaly himuliate yourself. (Which could be an outcome of this :) )

You might want to add some guidelines to making screenshots as well. My suggestions:
- turn on resource view (so others can see what resources you have)
- grid view might also be helpful

Should this really be in the "Strategy Articles" section? It seems like it would be more appropriate as a "sticky" post in the Strategy and Tips forum.

This is a good beginning. It needs to be completed with instructions on posting saved games and linking to other posts.

Thanks for the help - I have posted real pictures instead of thumbnails for the first time!

Hey Metzi!

Great advice.

Maybe also good to suggest to CivFanatics members to run 'spell checker' facility via the 'Go Advanced' posting option (?) ;

It requires a small download, but well worth the effort! If not, CivFanatics members can always copy-and-paste into Microsoft Word or similar and run a spell check from there.

Top Bottom