1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

A Guide To The Creation & Customization Forum

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modding Tutorials & Reference' started by Red Door, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

Made especially for newbies. ;)

First of all, this is for all those newbies that wander their way into the great halls of CivFanatics Center. Welcome Newbies!:beer:

The Creation and Customization forum is for people to not only post their completed mods, scenarios, units, maps, etc., but also for people to preview their upcoming mods, etc., etc. In this guide, I'm not going to tell you how to mod, but I'll tell you how to get around in Creation & Customization.

The first rule of creation and customization is:
    1. Unless you have a file to post, don't post threads in the sub-forums. Use the main forum! If you couldn't tell before, Thunderfall created some words under the Mods "sub-forum" telling you do the exact same thing.

2. This shouldn't be a problem yet, but don't bump threads more than 3-6 months old unless you have an important question or something like that. Don't bump an old (and probably dead) thread to say "Nice Job!, or Well Done!

3. We have a search button. Use it, it helps. If you need a question answered, always use the search button before you start a new thread.

4. Most mod-makers aren't open for requests. I, for one, am not. I don't particularly want to make a scenario about the Chinese Warring States (this is an example), something I know nothing about, because user X requested it.

5. With the Warlords expansion coming out soon, please don't forget to inicate what you do is compatible with Civ 4-Vanilla or Civ 4-Warlords.

Okay, I created this guide for all the newbies that make these mistakes, and I'm tired of seeing it.

Credits to GRM7584, who originally did this for Civ 3 Creation and Customization.

2. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

Rabbit, White's Guide To Adding New Units.
    Ralendil's Guide To Adding A New Civic.
    Installing And Using The SDK (the Civ 4 Source Code).
    Learn How To Program In Python.
    The Programs Used To Make New Units and Buildings.

GIMP

Some mods you need to know about,
    Star Wars
    Total Realism 2.0
    The Ancient Mediterranean
    SevoMod 3
    Fall From Heaven 2Fall From Heaven

I also think there are some modders who deserved to be recognized, here they are:
    TheLopez
    Kael
    Woodelf
    Rabbit, White
    Snafusmith
    Civmansam
    Rhye
    thamis
    Sevo
    Shqype

I'm sure these guys are open to questions you have for them. You can send them a PM asking them how to do things.

Lastly, remember, the veteran members of CFC can be nice and helpful.

3. Shqype

Shqype Shqyptar

Gee, thanks, that's really nice of you to mention me ... soon I should be releasing my own mod that should help people out with some cool new different features :)

Anyway AlCosta, it's Shqype not Shyque ;) Here's this pronunciation guide that may help you better understand how the q is pronounced: http://www.argjiro.net/albi/green/?book=2&chapter=0&subchapter=0

If any noobs have questions, they can PM us and we should give a helping hand :)

4. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

I should also include some basic information about modding, I'll do it tommorow.

Fixed your name.

5. Civmansam

Civmansam Chieftain

Same as Shqype, it's very nice of you to mention me, and I'll be glad to help anyone out.

6. Splinter13

Splinter13 The Learner

I think this deserves a Bump. I'm seeing more and more "How do I do this" in the TUT section.

7. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

I should really update this....

8. Jeckel

Jeckel Great Reverend

All new members should have to read this threads OP before they get to post their first thread. To get an idea of how commonly threads are started in the wrong forum just look through zulu9812's posts and count the number of times he has to clomp people.. ;)