A Guy With a Stick meets Tanks!

Kaplaa

Chieftain
In CIV III one day, I was playing a Greek file and decided to mess around with the 9999999999/per turn bug. It was around 1540 A.D. and I was washing over the second continent, home to India and Persia. I was leaving India alone when I found them trying to steal techs, so I attacked from the north.

They had their usual Elephant offense and I was slaughtering it. Well, they decided to throw in a random Spearmen. Thiknking that a small army of badly-wounded tanks(1 health each, and there were like seven) could easily take this puny unit.

They rolled in, and all of them died. Me and my friend watched this all happen at a base of a small mountain. The spearman lost no life, and stayed fortified. He became an elite and must've generated an army too.

Well, I got tired of it and sent in a full-health regular tank. That died too! We couldn't believe it! The spearman(Who we've now named General Slaughter) was still standing after waves of tanks! Finally, though, I got tired and sent in an army of elite Modern Infantry that lost no life against the Ancient-era unit.

I went on through the game to nuke all of INdia's cities, take over Persia, and leave Babylon, Egypt, and Rome to live their vicilization on peacefully. That one Spearmen though...Lives on in all the minds of the Greek peoples and soldiers.

: Indeed, may that one spearman be remembered throughout Civ history......
as one tough son of a B***h :D .

Is that spearman's name Clark Kent?

:spear:

I always love seeing the little ancient era units win a battle against more modern stuff. I'll make every effort to completely wipe them out afterwards in as vicious a way as possible, but they die knowing they've earned my respect.

but what if everything, even nukes, didn't kill them? what would you do then?

Ive seen far braver fighters, I believe you havent met bob the quecha The year was 1872 AD and I was involved in a brutal war with persia. My stack of death was trashing their crappy empire, with ease. Suddenly a transport rolled up to cuzco which was defended only by quecha's, a lot of quechas and drops off a mech inf and an artillery. I figured no way he can kill 14 quecha, in less than 7 turns so no big deal, 6 turns pass and many innocent quecha are not cannon proof, and he attacks once more, the artillery killed bob's budy cletis, and the mech inf attacks bob, so he smashes the thing over his head and bangs on his shield. The next turn bob smashed that artillery like nothing even if it was down to .02. All hail bob the steroid abusing quecha.

i would like to see the unnamed spearguy today! he would prolly only have a nadgun and walking against nukes!

Guess if we could zoom onto the tip of his spear, we would see a highly explosive charge that drills through the armor before detonating...

I believe this super spearman feature is dealt with in CIV4... so no more super spearmen

@ globetrotter: i think this IS Civ 4

i was the guy with the spear...:spear:

When you think about it, if the spearmen ambushed the tanks one at a time, leaping out from behind cover, they could pry open the hatch and kill the occupants without suffering too many casualties. More probably, they could set it on fire, molokov cocktail-style, make use of road-side IEDs, or more crudely, giant pit-traps. If they managed to capture some tanks during the battle, they could also reek havoc.

No, Ancient-era units could totally prevail over modern technology under the right circumstances. :p

After all, the Ewoks could do it. :lol:

A 1% health tank, no promotions:
40 strength, 1 HP, 20 power.

A 100% health pikeman, combat 5, geurilla 2, fortified for 5+ turns.
15 strength, 100 HP, 15 power.

Tank hits about 3 times more often.
Tank does 23 damage, spearman does (enough to kill).

So, on average, it would take two such tanks to kill that spearman. One tank has only a 23% chance of killing the spearman, but the odds are the first one would do enough damage that the second one would win.

Lesson: don't attack a fortified, super-veteran pikeman with a tank that has a grand total of 1 round for the main gun, 2 machine gun bullets, and one patch of armor left.

If the tank was at 50% and had combat 2:
Strength 48, health 50, power 36
Damage:30 per hit
Taken: 13 per hit

4 hits to lose the tank.
3.2 tank hits for every spear hit.
Average damage done to spear for every dead tank: 384.

Chance of spear victory: basically zilch.

Complaining that a unit with only a sliver of health left loses a fight is silly -- a unit with a sliver of health represents a badly supplied, heavily damaged, massively demoralized unit.

'course, a spearchucker killing a full strength tank is pretty damn funny. :)

No. It was Peter Parker using his secret weapon to trap the tank and destroy it.

Also, Red things go faster so they should paint the tanks red.

Hey, anyone lost two Samurai at odds above 100%, in a row?

I quit the game immidiately. I am glad they have fixed the combat odds so that first strikes do no longer push odds above 100%, but man, was I mad at that Jaguar!

Top Bottom