1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A Hobbit's Holiday

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by serek000, Nov 3, 2010.

1. serek000

serek000 Chieftain

Hello, long time lurker coming back to activity again. I've been toying with the idea of a Lord of the Rings Online AAR, being a major LOTR nerd myself and having finally downloaded the game, which is now free-to-play. Would anyone be interested in following such a project, if I were to launch it?

2. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

sure, I'd follow it, considering I'm interested in the game myself.

3. Kan' Sharuminar

Kan' Sharuminar Fluffy

I would read it as long as you remember the number one rule in LotrO: Always have a nice hat.

4. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

5. serek000

serek000 Chieftain

Excellent, I'll try to get a post up this evening, US Central Time. Oh, and Kan - hats are a must. I believe I'll retitle it, at least in each post, as

"A Hobbit's Holiday, or the Hunt for a Halfling Haberdasher"

6. Darth Caesar

Darth Caesar Might be a Wizard

Me too.

7. Abaddon

Abaddon Deity

We love AAR's at CFC :)

8. serek000

serek000 Chieftain

Hello to you all! My name is Gigglewump, and I am your average Hobbit. Handsome, dashing, and with just enough belly to be appealing to the ladyfolk, I'm a real man's man. I like using weapons, my shield is great, and I have a nose for adventure! Let's do this!
    Spoiler :

I decided it would be a good night to go for a little stroll through the Shire. It's a nice, peaceful place, but I decided to bring my shield and mace, mostly because it makes me look really cool. Wait, what's this? A suspicious fellow loitering around up the road?
    Spoiler :

Turns out the strange person is not so strange. He's Bounder Boffin, charged with patrolling the roads in this part of the Shire. He was a pretty nice fellow, and extremely generous. I got a new weapon, a hatchet, and a new shield from him. For free! If I wasn't such a trusting fellow, I might think there was something fishy about that little transaction...

Anyways, midway through our chat he started getting weird, complaining about how the night suddenly felt sinister and the air got all heavy. Voices could be heard coming down the road! It was kind of anti-climactic, though – it was just three Hobbits. They wouldn't say what was up, but one of them was a Baggins, and that whole family is trouble. The other two, Samwise Gamgee and Peregrine Took, I'd not heard of.
    Spoiler :

Well, that Baggins fellow started yelling about getting off the road. He and his posse ran off the road, jumped a fence, and hid on the other side of a hill. Boffin and I were thoroughly confused. Our confusion didn't last long. Remember that strange feeling that Boffin was talking about before? Well, it came back, and with a vengeance. In the form of a Black Rider.
    Spoiler :

He kept going on, something about trying to find Baggins. Me, I was too scared to say a word. Bounder Boffin, however, was quick on his toes and was able to make up a lie about there being no Baggins family around here. Good for him!Well, we hightailed it out of there, cutting through Old Odo's farm. Old Odo is, as his name would lead you to believe, very old. His farm has fallen into disrepair of late – that much was clear by the giant spiders outside the front gate.
    Spoiler :

I was excited to test out the new hatchet. Much to my pleasure, I was very good at it. No surprises there. What was surprising was what was on the other side of the gate. The whole farm had been overrun by those eight legged freaks! And worse yet – the way through to the main road was blocked by disgustingly thick webs! Bounder Boffin went ahead and hacked away at the webbing while I impaled, beheaded, mauled, and mangled any spiders that came to pay us a visit.
    Spoiler :

No sooner had we broken through and gotten to the main road than came a pair of frightened Hobbits. Celandine Brandybuck and Mundo Sackville-Baggins, a cousin of Frodo, were yelling about brigands. In the Shire. What a joke, right? Why would brigands come to the Shire? Well, it wasn't a joke.
    Spoiler :

Four brigands came and accosted our small group. Despite putting up a good fight (and not cowering in fear, despite what Boffin might say!), we were subdued, knocked unconscious, and taken to a prison. When I came to, I was all alone. Evidently, a gang of brigands calling themselves Blackwolds, sponsored by or somehow working with the Black Riders, had taken us into custody. It looked like a makeshift prison in what could only be described as a compound.

Luck should have it, though, that a pair of Dunedain, rangers from the North, raided the prison that night. Strider, the leader of the two, broke me out.

While fleeing, we stumbled the other Hobbits, who had been rescued by Amdir, the other ranger. Perhaps out of sheer bad luck, Amdir was cornered by a Ring Wraith, one we had managed to avoid by standing on the other side of a locked gate and fence. Strider was quick to leap into action, but it was too late – Amdir was gravely wounded from a stab wound, undoubtedly inflicted by the Morgul blade wielded by the wretched rider.
    Spoiler :

Strider carried Amdir, and we followed (halfway in shock) to the nearest village, Archet. The brigands had taken us quite some ways – we were no longer in the Shire (Archet is a small Human village north of Bree). After helping Strider get Amdir situated in the shade, where he could rest while being attended to, I climbed to the top of the nearest stairway to get a look at the village.
    Spoiler :

I think I'm in over my head.

9. Abaddon

Abaddon Deity

Bravo! :)

10. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

Its time for breakfast! And then second breakfast!

11. scherbchen

scherbchen well that can´t be good

don't forget about elevensees. everybody knows about elevensees.

12. Kan' Sharuminar

Kan' Sharuminar Fluffy

Another one of those 'shoe-wearing' hobbits, I see. You damned kids with your fashionable footwear - just because the big folk are doing it!

13. Darth Caesar

Update?

14. serek000

serek000 Chieftain

There's more coming soon. This week will be rough though, as it's getting down to crunchtime at university and I have two major papers due early next week. I'll try to get an update posted sometime this week, though. Things should speed up more after the Thanksgiving holiday.

15. Darth Caesar

Okay. :)

16. serek000

serek000 Chieftain

Bleugh, my workload has been heavier than anticipated. I'll try to get something put together by the end of this weekend, though.

17. serek000

serek000 Chieftain

My apologies about the lack of updates. University hit like a ton of bricks. Hopefully I can get back to updating this regularly next weekend.

18. Abaddon

Abaddon Deity

Please do.

19. Lord of Elves

Lord of Elves Suede-Denim Secret Police

Oh man, LotRO. How is that game doing these days?

20. serek000

serek000 Chieftain

Pretty good, from the looks of it! Going free seems to have really boosted its visibility.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Good evening (or morning, to you Australians), fine gentlemen and gentleladies! I last left my tale as I was climbing a set of stairs to get a view of Archet, where I found myself after a bizarre sequence of events involving a black rider, some weird rangers, and a peculiar fellow named Baggins who seemed a bit off in the head. Anyways, here I am, and the story will continue.

Well, I stopped over by Strider to see what was going on. Amdir, who was stabbed by a Morgul blade earlier, wass in bad shape and Strider seemed all worried about him. He had other concerns, too - namely that the local brigands who assaulted us before were in cahoots with the black riders. I was sent to go warn the local captain of the guard, Captain Brackenbrook. He dismissed Strider's concerns, though, but sent me to check what others thought, just in case. I'm starting to feel like a little errand-boy. Not appreciated.

Spoiler :

None of the villagers thought the town was in danger. I don't know much about this Strider fellow, but these people seem foolish not to believe him. At any rate, I got a nice new sword and shield out of the deal. Maybe running errands wasn't so bad.

His comrade Amdir has taken a turn for the worse, though, but Strider says a plant called kingsfoil could help him. I'm supposed to go gather some, outside the gates of Archet. Things could get nasty out there, with wolves and boars and whatnot. I'm glad I'm a master swordsman!

I'm supposed to help out Calder Cob, too, an old warrior who has a little ship farm just outside the gate. I don't know what's up with him, but I trust Strider's judgement.

The view from the gates of Archet is a bit intimidating for a little fellow like myself. To the distance to my left were the ruins of Bronwe's Folly, where I was told to look for the kingsfoil for Amdir. To the right is Calder Cob's farm, which looks pleasant enough. I'll go there first.

Spoiler :

I went to go have a nice little chat with Calder Cob at his farm. Much to my dismay, I discovered him to be a ginger. We hobbits like our hair dark - red strange to us! Anyways, he seemed pretty disagreeable, and kept going on about wolves being a concern. Well, good sir, if you have a bunch of sheep in your front yard, you're going to have predator issues. Nonetheless, I agreed to go check it out. He seemed to think the trouble was coming from Bronwe's Folly, which is where I was headed anyways. Never miss a chance to kill two birds with one stone!

Spoiler :

The trip to Bronwe's Folly was surprisingly short. The valley that Archet lies in is surprisingly small and easy to get around in, thanks to the little dirt footpaths. The ruins look pretty intimidating. Maybe if I was human sized they wouldn't seem so bad...

Spoiler :

I climbed, fought wolves, and gathered kingsfoil for a little bit. Calder Cob wanted me to see what was going on at the top the ruins, so I took a little stroll up there. There was a strange banner thing, and being a naturally inquisitive hobbit, I couldn't help but touch it! I had just laid my little hands on it when a Blackwold brigand climbed to the top of the ruins, not ten feet from me! Cob had clearly set me up to be ambushed! The Blackwold, who seemed to be some sort of wolf trainer (which explains the alarming amount of the ambling about the ruins) underestimated me, and my sword enjoyed meeting his face.

Spoiler :

I needed to find out what the hell Cob was playing at! I strolled back to his sheep farm with a heart full of anger and wrath. I wanted so badly to bash his little skull in for playing me like a fool! When I got to his farm, he looked shocked to see me! He blustered a bit, yelled like a fool, and said, much to my surprise, that no matter what I said or who I told, Archet would still fall to the Blackwolds! I really need to get to Strider and tell him what I learned. The city must be warned!

Strider didn't seem surprised - he suspected something of this sort all along! He sent me back to Captain Brackenbrook in hopes that this new development would persuade him of the danger Archet was in. While the Captain didn't seem to believe me, he thought it still warranted some investigation. He asked if I would go talk to Cal Sprigley, who has a farm on the far side of Bronwe's Folly, to see if he's seen anything suspicious in the southern half of the valley.

I'm pretty winded though, it's time for some rest. Never fear, though, my grand tale of my quest for glory will continue!