A horse!! AI kingdom not for a horse!!!

Escalate

Chieftain
I play as Germany at my first game(Prince), warshington, Haiwata, and Monty are my continent neighbors. As the game go, we declare war on each other and I found some ridiculous thing.

Ai don't build any freakin' mount unit at all....

From 4000BC to about 250AD, they pump out archer spearman warrior like no tomorrow but no mount unit 100%... They're lacking horse resources??? Nah.. there're horse everywhere.

So I slamed them to dust with my own horsemen and go explore what is on the other side of the world. I found other 4 civilizations on another big continent with great beautiful cities with a lot of soldiers....... who also don't know how to ride horse. :confused:

There's something not quite right at all. Anyone know how could it be???

Come to think of it you're right. I never noticed it, but on reflection I don't recall seeing the AI use that much/any mounted units.

I have seen the AI use Lancers. In the Modern Era. When I have Panzers sitting right next to them. :rolleyes:

One of my allied city states keeps building horsemen, oddly enough. Thanks, guys, just what I want on an archipelago map.

But, agreed, playing on land maps on I can only recall seeing a lot of Alex's companion cavalry. Oh - but there are those Siamese elephants, they really spam those out...

I noticed this as well. Made my wars that much easier since I could leave my archery units wide open and not have to build spearmen/pikeman.

Come to think of it you're right. I never noticed it, but on reflection I don't recall seeing the AI use that much/any mounted units.

I have noticed an exploitable feature of Civ5. I can build hundreds of horse units. What I do is give them to all my City State friends who are sending me food and resources. Every time they pick up a horse I get a new one in my resource list at the top of the screen. I build a stable in a high production city and gift away just to liven up all those wars against other civs without having to lift a finger of managing one of my own.

I let all the civs stay at war with me as it eats up their resources. When they try to sneak up into my domain the city states meet their aggression with a wave of infantry and archers. This also works for iron as I can give away heavy swordsmen or knights and still have a full list of iron on hand.

It would kill me to have to pay to maintain an army like the one that protects my interests. I am thinking of gifting nuclear weapons if I ever get a game that lasts long enough. That should leave me plenty of uranium for other giant projects.
It would be cool to see some annoying civ get nailed by nukes I manged to teleport half way around the world. It is already fun seeing the CS use a company of knights on them to beat back aggression:lol:!

This is the crux of the problem I think at least at the Prince difficulty level. The AI I have seen, at the Prince difficulty level, doesn't know how to produce/use mounted/siege units.

I don't know about higher levels, but I started at the bottom difficulty since I hadn't played Civ in a long time and have been working my way up. The difficulty seems to be ramping up at each step, so we'll see.

Personally, I think people need to play more MP. Human opponents are always smarter. I'm really surprised to see all the negative sentiment about the AI. You'd get laughed off RTS forums for even mentioning PvE games. You put your 10 hours into learning the game via PvE and move onto some PvP, which is always more challenging.

I think a solution to most of the QQ'ing is for the Civ 5 developers/Steam to set up a ladder or some sort of system where people can play 2-4 hours games against other people. There should be a standard like:

Quick speed
Turn time limits
Specific sized map
Simultaneous turns

This would create the competition that many of the negative posters seem to be complaining about.

I love Civ 5, just moved into playing MP with a friend. I really wanted to look up and discuss some strategies, but the online community here and on the official forums reminds me too much of the MMO whiners like on Blizzard's WoW forums.

On that side note, I think many forums would rather be popular via thread/post counts, rather than for the quality of the thread topics and subsequent discussion. This seems lie it could be a decent community if someone stepped up and tried to clean up a lot of the useless/negative posting/trolling.

I've seen a lot of Chariot Archers, but not Horsemen.

Top Bottom