A Human Paradox

I was hoping for a discussion about human origins, some people wanted to argue about the definition of paradox instead

Well you probably have to accept some responsibility for why that happened. And by some I mean most*.

*all

It should come as no surprise that when the word "paradox" is in the thread title, people might want to know what the OP is talking about or discuss it in other ways. :coffee:

To reiterate, a paradox is something that's seemingly not possible. If I am spotted at my friend Adam's at 5pm and then at 5:30pm at my friend Steve's, who lives 500km away, that's a paradox. It's a paradox because travelling 500km in 30 minutes is not possible. Even if I flew there, I'd have to get to the airport, so there's no plausible scenario that would allow me to travel the distance in only 30 minutes.

So.. it would have been a paradox if humans migrated out of Africa for the first time on Tuesday at 5pm, and then migrated to Japan by lunchtime on Wednesday.

The Bible is not evidence. It's just a bunch of stories of supernatural claptrap that violates the basic laws of science, not to mention common sense.

The evidence you've been shown didn't come from the Bible, archaeologists have discovered a massive resettlement of the Persian Gulf when it was flooded and I gave you the link in a past debate. God sent a mighty wind and the sea was parted for Moses. Does that supernatural claptrap violate the basic laws of science? Watching Hurricane Irma blow the ocean away from Florida's west coast shows it doesn't. Why would God need a mighty wind? Thats a clue something did happen and it was attributed to God.

how exactly does that solve the paradox? When did God plant this garden?

Before he took the man from his ancestral homeland in the west. Actually, there are two clues - the 6th day people were created westward of the Persian Gulf. Following the Arabian coastline west leads to the Ethiopian coast which is where people may have left Africa on the so-called southern route. That juncture with the Red Sea is not far from early human sites in Ethiopia. Second, Adam was taken from a western land eastward to Eden. Thats when "we" left Africa...

Well, Adam's kid married someone so we were already leaving Africa. But the Bible might be describing part of the exodus out of Africa. The paradox is why the delay - God had not yet taken the man out of Africa. Maybe man wasn't supposed to leave or stay clear of God's Garden. Something changed, God took the man from Africa and put him in the Garden now covered by the Persian Gulf.

The funny thing is that introducing God into this whole story finally makes it a paradox.

God is the solution to the paradox, God took the man eastward to Eden.

Well you probably have to accept some responsibility for why that happened. And by some I mean most*.

*all

I posted the definition of paradox and it was ignored

It should come as no surprise that when the word "paradox" is in the thread title, people might want to know what the OP is talking about or discuss it in other ways. :coffee:

The OP didn't explain the paradox? I asked a simple question: why did it take us so long to leave Africa? The delay "contradicts" the rapid expansion that followed.

To reiterate, a paradox is something that's seemingly not possible. If I am spotted at my friend Adam's at 5pm and then at 5:30pm at my friend Steve's, who lives 500km away, that's a paradox. It's a paradox because travelling 500km in 30 minutes is not possible. Even if I flew there, I'd have to get to the airport, so there's no plausible scenario that would allow me to travel the distance in only 30 minutes.

So.. it would have been a paradox if humans migrated out of Africa for the first time on Tuesday at 5pm, and then migrated to Japan by lunchtime on Wednesday.

Maybe you could post the definition instead of analogies?

Before he took the man from his ancestral homeland in the west. Actually, there are two clues - the 6th day people were created westward of the Persian Gulf. Following the Arabian coastline west leads to the Ethiopian coast which is where people may have left Africa on the so-called southern route. That juncture with the Red Sea is not far from early human sites in Ethiopia. Second, Adam was taken from a western land eastward to Eden. Thats when "we" left Africa...

Well, Adam's kid married someone so we were already leaving Africa. But the Bible might be describing part of the exodus out of Africa. The paradox is why the delay - God had not yet taken the man out of Africa. Maybe man wasn't supposed to leave or stay clear of God's Garden. Something changed, God took the man from Africa and put him in the Garden now covered by the Persian Gulf.
but I thought God made man in the garden? I mean now you're positing 100,000 or so years of pre-garden man. I mean that's not a really satisfying or conclusive answer, no?

I posted the definition of paradox and it was ignored

It wasn't ignored. It was pointed out that the definition you posted doesn't tally with the question you were asking.

but I thought God made man in the garden? I mean now you're positing 100,000 or so years of pre-garden man. I mean that's not a really satisfying or conclusive answer, no?

God made the 6th day people and told them to be fruitful and fill the land. Now here's the problem, people typically interpret that to mean Adam and Eve were made on the 6th day. She wasn't... And we dont know how many generations passed before God took 'the man' (Adam) to his Garden in the East, but Eve was made in the Garden. Adam's original homeland was westward where "we" were made male and female in the image of "Us".

That story matches up with a Sumerian myth about our creation, a creature was found roaming God's southern domain and upon it was bound the image of the gods. The new being's purpose was to work for the gods, and so was Adam's. But he was taken from our ancestral homeland in Ethiopia (?) and brought eastward to the Garden which was outside Africa. Now, I dont think Adam was the first man. The 6th day people were male and female and instructed to proliferate.

How does that work if God takes the man away from the woman and carts him off to his Garden in the east only to discover the man needs a woman - what happened to the female you just created on the 6th day? No, the 6th day people were "us" - maybe a few dozen or few hundred 'slaves' that eventually populated Africa killing off the other hominids...

Anyway, the story of Adam describes an evolutionary transition in mankind. So does the 'curse' on Eve - multiplied pain in childbirth. Course the two are tied together, bigger brains means more pain giving birth. So if the Persian Gulf region was the location of God's Garden, maybe God didn't want people roaming all over it. After all, he kicked Adam and Eve out because children were in their future, another result of the tree - the ability to procreate. Maybe the delay in leaving Africa was the result of our purpose for existing - working for God. There was also a delay with Adam and Eve, they lived in the Garden working for God.

It wasn't ignored. It was pointed out that the definition you posted doesn't tally with the question you were asking.

You were raising a fuss about the word and you ignored the definition when it was posted

You describe a situation as a paradox when it involves two or more facts or qualities that seem to contradict each other.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/paradox

Our long stasis in Africa contradicts our rapid and thorough expansion

Two facts that seem to contradict each other... You dont agree, oh well...

The evidence you've been shown didn't come from the Bible, archaeologists have discovered a massive resettlement of the Persian Gulf when it was flooded and I gave you the link in a past debate. God sent a mighty wind and the sea was parted for Moses. Does that supernatural claptrap violate the basic laws of science? Watching Hurricane Irma blow the ocean away from Florida's west coast shows it doesn't. Why would God need a mighty wind? Thats a clue something did happen and it was attributed to God.

Speaking of otherworldly blowing, I officially attribute my last bowel movement to God; and there is definitely a second coming in works so I'm ready to provide evidence as it happens.

Speaking of otherworldly blowing, I officially attribute my last bowel movement to God; and there is definitely a second coming in works so I'm ready to provide evidence as it happens.
Please don't. We don't need evidence of your "Divine Defecation"

People respond to their needs. In human communities needs are often driven by the size of the community. Small communities with lots of food and water nearby have little need to move about. also if they followed migrating animals to sustain themselves, maybe those animals didn't migrate out of Africa, but went south or west rather than east and north. I would guess that two things finally "pushed" those folks out: increased population and changing climate.

There are a push and pull forces at work. A pull to stay with what is familar and a push to find enough food as population density increases and food starts running short. My guess is it took a while for the push to out weight the pull.

Brilliant. A 5 page stealth intro and then it's just another Bible/Sumerian myth crossover thread.

You expect me to look up all your previous posts to find one particular link?

Nope, not gonna. The least you could do was mention which thread it's in, plus a few keywords.

As for God and mighty winds... OH, PLEASE. Yes, it's claptrap, and it violates the laws of science. We're not talking about hurricanes in the Atlantic or tsunamis in the Pacific. We're talking about stuff that's attributed to a supernatural being. Are you going to tell me that hurricanes occur in Egypt? (seriously, if they do, I'd really like to know).

Somebody should go back in time and tell Bishop Usher this, so he could revise his date of October-whatever-it-was, 4004 BC date for the creation of the universe. :rolleyes:

Well, Adam's kid married someone so we were already leaving Africa.
Since the only other female was around, Adam's kid had to have married his own mother.

That's something my grandfather told me was why he started questioning the government-mandated religion classes he had to take in his schooling, back in pre-WWI Sweden. It never made sense to him that Adam, Eve, and Cain were the only people, yet somehow Cain married some woman from a "foreign land."

As I've mentioned, the bible had truly lousy editors. Any half-way competent modern fanfic beta reader would have caught that inconsistency.

But the Bible might be describing part of the exodus out of Africa. The paradox is why the delay - God had not yet taken the man out of Africa. Maybe man wasn't supposed to leave or stay clear of God's Garden. Something changed, God took the man from Africa and put him in the Garden now covered by the Persian Gulf.
You're fretting over some "paradox" about things that are just made-up stories.

The people who left Africa did so under their own steam (metaphorical; I wouldn't want to sidetrack this into some gobbledygook nonsense about aliens giving the Babylonians the steam engine, or something). They didn't require any supernatural entity to enable them to do so, or tell them to do so. They decided to leave when it made sense for them to leave, and it doesn't need to be any more complicated than that.

Brilliant. A 5 page stealth intro and then it's just another Bible/Sumerian myth crossover thread.

Didn't see that coming... I gotta be stealthy, for some reason my threads on religion and science dont last long any more

You expect me to look up all your previous posts to find one particular link?

Not at all, I expect you to remember looking at the link because you wanted me to post it, I did, and you apparently read it. Didn't hear from you again on that matter until now.

As for God and mighty winds... OH, PLEASE. Yes, it's claptrap, and it violates the laws of science. We're not talking about hurricanes in the Atlantic or tsunamis in the Pacific. We're talking about stuff that's attributed to a supernatural being. Are you going to tell me that hurricanes occur in Egypt? (seriously, if they do, I'd really like to know).

“Then Moses stretched out his hand over the sea, and the Lord drove the sea back by a strong east wind all night and made the sea dry land, and the waters were divided.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...the-red-sea-in-exodus/?utm_term=.38d3643a7a2c

The people who left Africa did so under their own steam (metaphorical; I wouldn't want to sidetrack this into some gobbledygook nonsense about aliens giving the Babylonians the steam engine, or something). They didn't require any supernatural entity to enable them to do so, or tell them to do so. They decided to leave when it made sense for them to leave, and it doesn't need to be any more complicated than that.

God's Garden lay on the southern route from Africa... Maybe we weren't welcome and Adam was the first man allowed in. But the Bible does say God took the man from our ancestral homeland westward of the Garden. He took Adam from Africa...

Maybe, maybe, maybe... :rolleyes:

You flatter yourself if you think I remember every post where you've posted a link.

And as the captains gazed south to the Land of Migdol, it seemed to them that, black against the pall of cloud, there rose a huge shape of shadow, impenetrable, lightning-crowned, filling all the sky. Enormous it reared above the world, and stretched out towards them a vast threatening hand, terrible but impotent: for even as it leaned over them, a great wind took it, and it was all blown away, and passed; and then a hush fell

A lot of people think that as that is what people keep saying, but not necessarily how it reads. It does not give a date and time when that happened. Actually it is the dating methods used that posite a time frame.

It also states the one land mass was divided thus one could also assume no one came out, they were forced away from each other by tectonic intervention.

Another point is what about the long time frames? Adams descendants only lived for hundreds of years. There is really nothing that states the "others" for lack of a better term lived much longer, perhaps thousands of years or they never died naturally. They lived continously marrying and remarrying cause two people staying in a committed relationship got old after living together for so long.

The Sumerian text, obviously were biased against the Sumerians own humanity. It was not that Adam's race was less human. Adam's race was the only race after the flood and all humanity is the same. There were beings of which Adam no longer was a part of, but because of Adam that type of humanity was lost. Obviously more superior, and that influence was evident in some humans for thousands of years after the time of Noah and the last major tectonic event. The Biblical account does not say Adam was a promoted inferior animal, but was a demoted human, and his race is all that has survived to this day. That process of how they came to pass was that he was singled out and was given the choice to change mankind or not.

What makes the Sumerian text truer than others?

Top Bottom