A hungry Gwyneth Paltrow fails the food-stamp challenge four days in

Not exactly. 22% had no earned income. This allows all other forms of aid, pensions, disability income, etc. A typical single adult with dependent child will receive either WIC or school lunch benefits.

Still, even if the number is cherry picked, a significant group of people rely on SNAP for the bulk of their food.

J

I though if you had other income you would not be entitled to the max amount of foodstamps, thus the average foodstamp amount is around $20 per week. ?

I though if you had other income you would not be entitled to the max amount of foodstamps, thus the average foodstamp amount is around $20 per week. ?

It depends on the income. Regardless, 22% is not the portion of the recipients that use SNAP for all of their food purchases. The number is large enough, but not that large.

Why do I care about some braindead actress when there are real people dying everyday that need attention?

Because they are in countries that object when you criticize the government.

J

I think this would be doable, just rather boring and unvaried in the dietary department. I can get a pound of pasta for $1, add in pasta sauce for about $1/pound, and we're at $24 for the 2 pounds/day of food that the average person eats. That leaves enough for a few bell peppers or onions to try to avoid scurvy. There's no tax on most food where I live, and H2O works for beverages, so it's a go.

In college, I actually did live on such a diet more than I probably should have, though more so because it was what I had reliably in the house than due to budgetary reasons. As such, I've somewhat burned out on it, though tonight I did have pasta, tomato sauce, green pepper, and mushrooms (with a few meatballs) for dinner.

Rolled oats might be a good option. I've heard dry cereal is among the most expensive breakfast foods by weight, so I'd likely skip that if trying to minimize the budget. I do often add cinnamon, brown sugar, or both to rolled oats when making them myself. I've also found that Bob's Red Mill's recommended portion is too large for the bowls I have, so I have to make half-portions to keep it microwaveable.

Potatoes can also be pretty cheap. I've occasionally eaten plain baked potatoes at lunch when I forgot to bring condiments along. Not exactly thrilling, but economical. And I can get frozen vegetables for $1/pound pretty reliably - soybeans, green beans, corn, a pretty good variety. Protein is a noticeable problem, but a vegetarian might be able to do a better job of that than I would.

Granted, I usually spend more than $29/week on food, even when I cook for myself all the time, and it's not easy to get a balanced diet on that. The cost of living is fairly low here, which likely helps. But what you're used to also makes a difference. Gweneth Paltrow probably spends more on food during the average week than I do, and may well do less home cooking as well. So, I'm not surprised that someone who's used to earning $1 million/year would struggle with this adjustment. Arguably, it's too low to begin with, too, particularly in expensive neighborhoods. In more reasonably-priced ones? Probably doable, but with less than ideal variety and nutrients. And if you're really poor, it's more likely that you'll live in a food desert with no reasonably-priced grocery stores to boot. Far from an ideal situation.

A pound of pasta makes over two pounds of cooked. Corn and beans or rice and beans does better. Eggs will give you cheap protein and a bunch of other things. Fresh produce is the hard part.

J

Pasta certainly rivals rolled oats over price (even then I think oats are slightly cheaper as dry weight). But then you have to cook pasta. You don't have to cook oats. If you're a nomad, oats are the thing.

As for getting vitamin C, I wouldn't rely on bell peppers: they're incredibly expensive for what they are. (Though I do like them). Onions, celery, carrots, cabbage and leeks are far cheaper. As, indeed, are nettles. (Widely available for nothing. But don't try them raw.)

Dandelions are edible, if you can find any that haven't been sprayed or exposed to other toxins.

They are edible. But they're terribly bitter. Even if you blanch them with an upside-down bucket.

Fat hen is better. Even nettles are a lot better than dandelions, imo.

But I've got a load of perpetual spinach growing in the garden. (It's spread itself all over the place.)

So I eat a lot of that until I get sick of it.

There are a lot of wild greens, if you know where to look. There reason people buy produce, aside from convenience, is that wild tends to be harsh--like Borachio's dandelions.

J

Absolutely. Limes, and lemons, keep very well too if you wrap them in aluminum foil and pop them in the fridge. I love a bit of lemon, rind and all (except the pith and pips), in my salads. Bit of a luxury though. Still, nothing wrong with a little luxury, imo. Especially if you're on a budget.

But yeah, bananas are the cheapest fruit. Very high in potassium, your banana.

A lime or two can last a long time if you manage it right. Cut it up into small pieces and all that, squeeze a bit onto food every time. Granted, I don't really care much about limes myself.

Also, some stereotypical cheap Asian advice - besides tons of free napkins, you can probably get free condiments and sauces and potentially other things at various fast food/casual food places. For instance, nick some taco sauce from Taco Bell, butter from Panera, etc.

Potatoes can also be pretty cheap. I've occasionally eaten plain baked potatoes at lunch when I forgot to bring condiments along. Not exactly thrilling, but economical.

When my father, along with my oldest aunt and second oldest uncle first came to the states, they lived off of nothing but potatoes for a few months; I am not sure about their legal situation but I don't think they were citizens, and also probably did not qualify for whatever potential welfare programs they had in the 70s, and due to being de facto refugees they pretty much had no money so they had to go with that. He says it wasn't too bad, as long as they made sure to keep a bit of butter around.

Protein is a noticeable problem, but a vegetarian might be able to do a better job of that than I would.

Speaking as a vegetarian, main protein sources off the top of my head would be eggs, beans, tofu, and imitation meat. Except maybe for the last one (prices of which can vary wildly depending on region and product), I think that may be manageable under $27 if you are careful. I think beans would probably be your best bet, albeit they might be the cheap kinds.

Red lentils are a good source of vegetable protein, I think. But any pulse will do.

Top Bottom