1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A legitimate Warhammer 40,000 mod

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by black baron, Jul 29, 2008.

?

do you think we should start with a scenario or a free-form mod

1. scenario

10 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. free form

30 vote(s)
    65.2%
  3. other (please suggest if other)

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  4. niether

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. Popcornlord

Popcornlord Steampunk Mechanic

I agree that we should do it slowly, BB you already did the first part in introducing the civs, we could build from there (don't forget I'm available for modding stuff). Oh, and I don't think it's likely we'll get space untill either this or star wars becomes a fairly large mod.

2. Dead Flag

Dead Flag Warlord

Oh, and of course if it is done the way I suggested then free form makes much more sense - it could be set on any one of the thousands of planets out there, which explains the randomness and the reason that not all races are on the planet.

3. black baron

black baron Daemon Prince of Tzeentch

in 5 millennia so much can happen, i think most of wh40k happened between very late 40th-41st mallennia

the red corsairs- equally good barbarians(pirates)

and i did do something like that but only messed with the civs and their leaders. i put it somewhere on filefront but idk the specific address(called it something skeletal mod)

4. Dead Flag

Dead Flag Warlord

Yeah, I was just thinking of the normal time range in civilisation - because that's the time it takes to go from primitive to modern technology. If the mod started in around 35,000 then the races would become advanced just in time to meet the rest of their race in 40,000.

5. Refar

Refar Deity

Actaully more or less nothing (apart from LOTS of bloodshed) happened in the last 10 millenia. In terms of development or "becoming advanced" the WH universe is absolutely "static".

The last mayor events in the WH lore were the horus herecy and the ascendance of the first and current immortal god emperor to the golden throne.
    These took place around 30. millenium (1000 years give or take).

Since then everything remained "static" - there were lots of wars (actually just the one never-ending), bloodshed and maybe smallish territorial exchanges.
    But no notable political or structural changes, nor any technoligical advance.

6. black baron

the only real changes i noticed since then are the rise of the tau and the Damocles gulf crusade(s). from the looks of it science the Horus heresy the only changes have had something to do with the tau.

7. Refar

Refar Deity

Yes, you are right - i missed the Tau, these are a young empire and hece had some technological/overall development more or less recently.

But everyone else is to Busy, to Advanced Already, to Bored or just can not be bothered with technological or other advances.
    Within the Human Empire technological research is even concidered Heretical.

So it will be somewhat hard to stick research into the game without breaking the lore.

Maybe your idea of techs giving incremental improvements/bonuses was not that bad after all.

8. Dead Flag

Dead Flag Warlord

There are thousands of worlds in the 40k universe without any outside contact. During the period between the fall of mankind's previous empire and being reunited with the Imperium, planets could be doing billions of things. One of those things is developing from a primitive to a modern society, at which point all the familiar faces show up and turn it sci-fi.

9. Popcornlord

Popcornlord Steampunk Mechanic

I have to agree with you there. so far it's seemed like the best idea. I think we should at least start like that. Maybe if we gat a better idea we'll change.

10. black baron

on a lore note, even if the empire of mankind met other humans in a mid-evil period they didn't advance them becuase they did well w/o current tech so why change that. so really the tau were the only ones who made many tech advances due to a lack of fear towards technology.

I'm uploading the "warhammer 40,000 bible" so this may explain certain gaps we aren't bridging here.

Attached Files:

11. Dead Flag

Dead Flag Warlord

There is clearly some diffusion of technology. Otherwise how would any planet be able to use lasguns, for example? And besides, the Imperium would not leave a human world defenseless against alien threats.

12. Refar

Refar Deity

The Diffusion of Technology took place millenia Ago. All Human Technology are remnants from a long past, more advanced period.
    Short (very):

Once the Empire was much bigger and much more advanced. The Technology led into a dark age "Dark Age" - Warp stormes broke out, Communications and Space Travel brocke down. Many worlds were deserted, most of thecnology forgotten.
    The Immortal Emepror saved what was left, reconquered much of lost territoty.
    Technology was identified as cause of the dark age.
    Now only technology from before the dark Age is allowed to be used, if regained, examined and declared safe by the Adeptus Mechanicus.

Since previously most worlds within the empires reach were colonized by the empire, all once had access to the same level of technology - this is why everyone got the same Bolters, Plasma Pistols and Lasguns.

The Empire will field the Imperial Guard (or Space Marines) to protect the Worlds as deemed necessary. These troops will bring they weapons. They might (and most likely will) draft and arm recruits on site.

Should the empire discover a world where technology "diffunded" or - worse - was developed, they would burn it rather than protect it.

Research is Herecy.

13. black baron

yeah but sadly enough the only heretics into technology would be the ones who serves Tzeentch, everyone else is in some form of frenzy(blood lust[khorne], hedonistic[slaanesh], painful[nurgle]). the only weakness to Tzeentch is he over plans and normally he would win but they have to make it seem like the other chaos gods stand a chance.

so lets recap:the humans are afraid of tech, the tau love it, the chaos and dark eldar are too twisted, the eldar too few,and the necrons,tyrinids,and orks too mindless,so any technology advance is kind of rare

14. Refar

Refar Deity

Perhaps a earlier more troubled period of time ?

Around 30K - The end of the dark age, emperors crusade and horus herecy come to mind. A - relatively - short period of time, where a lot happened.

While the humans did not research during this time, there was some "re-discovery" of the old sacred patterns, the forming of the major organisations of the empire etc.

I am not sure whan the Tau first came up - i think it might have been later, but perhaps you could still stick them in.

15. Dead Flag

Dead Flag Warlord

Research, of a kind, had been ongoing since the Emperor began to create his own army. Space Marine armour, which was a new invention, was continually developed throughout the period of the Great Crusade and even beyond that. Everything is constantly being revised. Land raiders, lasguns, autoguns, predators, plasma guns, melta guns, jump packs and a ton of other things have all been improved and updated since the Heresy. Most of the stagnation is ideological, not technological. And the technological stagnation has resulted from lack of materials, lack of blueprints, lack of repair equipment and loss of factories, not fear of technology. The humans are not afraid of technology. They simply don't understand it.

The Adeptus Mechanicus constantly seeks out new technology. Officially, anything alien is heretical, but the AM skirts around the rules if it means they can turn it into a shiny new gun. A newly discovered world would be introduced to the basics of Imperial weaponry if it was deemed to be a strategic location.

16. black baron

"Fear denies faith!" as the saying goes, however lack of understanding is only one step short of fear. to reinforce my point the humans fear change, for change is the tool of tzeentch and allowing change is allowing tzeentch to win.

the one thing i can't figure out is the battle against chaos, it's a loosing battle, if you fight to fight you feed the blood god khorne, if you fight for pleasure you feed slaanesh, if you use chemical warfare you feed nurgle, and since the empire uses psychers the feed tzeentch. so no matter what you do you loose, the best you can hope for is to turn chaos against its self, and even then there's a good chance one will prevail and then continue to kill you.

as for change(tech) in the empire the most seems to occur within the Inquisition, and more recently the daemon hunters. on another note the tau were discovered by the empire in 35th millennium, however before the empire crushed them warp storms formed and cut the tau off from the rest of the universe, within that time the tau advanced to a tech level on par or better with the humans.

17. Skitters

Skitters Prince

Perhaps rather than being a Tech Tree as such, the tree would actually represent the value the various commands give to that planet? I guess that is a similar way to how Dawn of War treats the topic in that it recognises the tech exists but the local commander has to justify (ie; research tech) to be eligible for better equiment/troops?

Would probably need renaming - perhaps "Requisition Tree"?

18. Dead Flag

Dead Flag Warlord

The Chaos gods are the products of mortal minds. Therefore, what feeds them is emotion. Greed (Slaanesh), ambition (Tzeentch), rage (Khorne) and despair (Nurgle) are the four emotions the dark gods represent, and those are the ones that the Imperium has to stamp out to prevent Chaos from getting a hold on humanity.

19. black baron

@skitters: well unless I'm misunderstanding you, i suggested something similar with popcornlord. btw something in me wants to call it the armory
    @dead flag:the only problem with that is without those emotions the achievements of man would be hindered, however it is the uncontrolled form of those emotions that need to be stomped out. whats more is that the chaos gods aren't just one emotion but several; for example Slaanesh is not just greed but lust and gluttony and more, Tzeentch is more than ambition he is deceit, subterfudge, etc. the reason figures like the chaos gods have so many titles is becuase they have more than one "face"

20. black baron