A Linux Computer

Dabomb18359

Link Has Become A Jedi
I have a year or so old computer with Lindows Linux, AMD Athlon 1800+, 128 RAM, 40G HD, and other basics. I can't do anything now because I have stuff for Windows. Is there anything I can do? I put my Windows 98 cd in but when it gets on I don't get sound, highspeed internet, or options to change my monitors resolution. Can anyone help? :confused:

I think Lindows changed to "Linspire", which is avalible for around $100 for purchase. But since you must by now be accustomed to Linux, why not try out one of the free distributions avalible (Mandrake, Fedora, Slackware)?
Edit: spelling

Like Aphex_Twin said, Lindows became Linspire, after Bill Gates sued them over confusing users with a name that sounds too much like Windows. :rolleyes:

If you've been using Lindows/Linspire, I would recommend you just download Mandrake/Mandriva (they also had a name change), Ubuntu, Fedora Core, Mepis, or any of the other free distros out there. You should be used to Linux by now. (It sounds like it, since you are realizing that Windows *doesn't* come as anything but a shell that you have to add drivers to, for *everything*. ;) )

You should try and base what version of Linux on, on what type of interface you want. There is 2 main ones: KDE and Gnome.

Before you decide on which GUI to pick note that KDE has 50 billion configuration settings where Gnome has like 5. Also note that those numbers are exaterated.

Try looking at the screenshots for each and decide which one you like.

KDE is more "Windows-like", and is, I believe, the desktop that Linspire uses. With that in mind, I would suggest Mandriva, KUbuntu, or Mepis, as they all default to KDE. Slackware would also be an option (Pat no longer directly supports Gnome), but you have to be comfortable with "rolling your own". ;)

I think now I understand that these are free programs that allow more than one OS use. I apologize if I don't understand what you all have said. Some of it is unclear to me. :confused:

Edit: Also, is there a reason why my computer with Lindows won't use the dsl connection I have, enable sound, or let me change graphic settings with W98 right now that you all know of? It's annoying to only be able to use the few corny games Linux comes with, like that penguin thing. I like Windows and would install the Windows 98 but I want it to be fully compatible, or at least to be worth using (with sound and the ability to play games, and hopefully internet) so any options help. :goodjob:

Gnome has at least as many configuration options as KDE, it's just that nobody knows how to use gconf ;P

gnome is cuter, though.

Dabomb18359 said:
I think now I understand that these are free programs that allow more than one OS use. I apologize if I don't understand what you all have said. Some of it is unclear to me. :confused:

Edit: Also, is there a reason why my computer with Lindows won't use the dsl connection I have, enable sound, or let me change graphic settings with W98 right now that you all know of? It's annoying to only be able to use the few corny games Linux comes with, like that penguin thing. I like Windows and would install the Windows 98 but I want it to be fully compatible, or at least to be worth using (with sound and the ability to play games, and hopefully internet) so any options help. :goodjob:

i think u can have two OSes in a single pc. which one can be win98 and the other is a linux os. most of the linux os will come with a dual boot configuartion where u can configure which OS is your dafult boot-up OS and which one is your secondary OS. if u read those helpful postings before me, u can see what are the linux OSes that people have recommended. most of them are really user-friendly. they should work with yr internet connection, sound etc.

Dabomb18359 said:

Have you installed all the neccersary drivers in Windows?

Things like the graphics card drivers, soundcard and so-on.

I have heard that installing win98 on a dual-boot system (one which has multiple os's) can be a bit of a sod. Chairman Bill doesn't like other os's :rolleyes:
I've never done it, but my mate got Linux and Win200pro working together easily enough.

Dabomb18359 said:
I have a year or so old computer with Lindows Linux, AMD Athlon 1800+, 128 RAM, 40G HD, and other basics. I can't do anything now because I have stuff for Windows. Is there anything I can do? I put my Windows 98 cd in but when it gets on I don't get sound, highspeed internet, or options to change my monitors resolution. Can anyone help? :confused:

If your goal is to simply get rid of Linux, you should be able to just put the Win 98 cd in, then type the commands: fixmbr (fix master boot record) to get rid of LILO, then format c: /fs:fat32 (correct me if I'm wrong guys, but I recall that being the standard for Win98) to get rid of your swap, root and any other partitions that you created for Linux.

Even if you want to make it dual boot later, you're still better off just letting Windows trash your earlier Linux installation, especially if you're going to upgrade to a more modern distro.

Edit: Just to be on the safe side download Knoppix in case anything goes wrong (it also includes a handy partition managing tool).

Strontium_Dog said:
Have you installed all the neccersary drivers in Windows?

Things like the graphics card drivers, soundcard and so-on.

I have heard that installing win98 on a dual-boot system (one which has multiple os's) can be a bit of a sod. Chairman Bill doesn't like other os's :rolleyes:
I've never done it, but my mate got Linux and Win200pro working together easily enough.

No. I don't really know which drivers I need though since it's a Linux computer. Also, what's a sod? :confused: And how did your "mate" get them working together. I'm no computer expert.

Padma said:
Dual-boot is simple, even with Win98, if Windows is installed first. ;)
If Linux is installed first, then it takes a bit more hand-massaging to get it to work, but it *can* be done.

Well, what kind of hand-massaging. I'm no expert so I'd like more specific instructions, please guys. I'd like to get this baby to work.

bad_ronald said:
If your goal is to simply get rid of Linux, you should be able to just put the Win 98 cd in, then type the commands: fixmbr (fix master boot record) to get rid of LILO, then format c: /fs:fat32 (correct me if I'm wrong guys, but I recall that being the standard for Win98) to get rid of your swap, root and any other partitions that you created for Linux.

Even if you want to make it dual boot later, you're still better off just letting Windows trash your earlier Linux installation, especially if you're going to upgrade to a more modern distro.

Edit: Just to be on the safe side download Knoppix in case anything goes wrong (it also includes a handy partition managing tool).

1. Wouldn't I still need the drivers though to get completely rid of linux? because I don't know what drivers I would need.
2. I have no idea how to format the swap, roots, and Linux partitions.
3. I'm not upgrading to a more modern distro (I'm assuming this is a distributed OS). All I have available to install is W98.
4. Can someone say what Knoppix does in English?

And if I am being too picky because I don't know any programming stuff unless it's easily understandable please just tell me I'm lost and have no chance of fixing it up without paying someone for something. Thanks again! :goodjob: :D

Your computer is not a 'Linux computer' as such. It's a computer that happens to have Linux installed on it. This can be changed, or modifyed.

You need to identify your video card, soundcard etc etc (the make and model) and get hold of the Windows drivers for them. Did you get any disks with the machine? You may find the drivers you need amongst them, if you did.

I've no idea how my mate got them to work together, I wasent there when he did it, and I've never really needed to know. Not much help there.

I would go with the suggestion of completly getting rid of Linux, and just having Windows. At least, for now.

A sod, technically, is a clump of earth. It is also a British slang term for anything or, more usually, anyone, who is a pain in the arse. :)

I think I understand a bit now. You're saying that it's not that those functions don't work but after I install Windows 98 on it I should find the drivers. I'll try that in a week or so when I have the time to hook it up and such. It'd be nice to have it up and running before school starts. =D

Well I tried today after getting a monitor for it to get that computer to work. It worked a year or so ago to install Windows 98, but now after I go into the setup, it gets to like the 3rd question and says I have an Operating system on it already. It says get rid of it and install Windows or exit setup. I click do it and go on but it goes on and freezes at the blue screen with "Microsoft Windows 98 Setup" at the top. Do you think it might be the computer or the disc?

Instead of getting rid of Lindows should I get a partition like you are all talking about? Also, would Lindows be able to install it?
Or should I try and do what bad Ronald said in post #12?
And before I do anything bad Ronald said to get Knoppix, but would I need that even if I have the Lindows disc? Thanks!

EDIT: And would it be a good idea to just get a new hard drive like 40GB? And where could I find a cheap, possibly used one?

My advice - don't bother with Windows . Install some Linux distro , and then install Cedega on top of it . That will allow you to play most games .

First , however , you need to tell us the specifics of your machine . We'd like

1) The motherboard manufacturer name and model name/number of your motherboard
2) Processor manufacturer , name , and model number
3) Graphics card manufacturer name and card model number ( don't bother with this if you have integrated graphics )
4) Monitor manufacturer , name , and model number
5) Modem manufacturer ( if you have a modem ) and model number
6) Soundcard manufacturer ( if you have a separate souncdad ) , name , and model number

Also all the relevant information ( manufacturer , name , and model number ) for any other peripheral device which you have .

If this information is given , we could provide much more help .

Dabomb18359 said:
Sounds like the drivers are not installed. You need to download video, sound, modem, or nic drivers from their respective vendors. There may be other devices that require software updates for optimal performance & compatibility. Your computer is newer than Win98, so this is not surprising.

Dabomb18359 said:
Well I tried today after getting a monitor for it to get that computer to work. It worked a year or so ago to install Windows 98, but now after I go into the setup, it gets to like the 3rd question and says I have an Operating system on it already. It says get rid of it and install Windows or exit setup. I click do it and go on but it goes on and freezes at the blue screen with "Microsoft Windows 98 Setup" at the top. Do you think it might be the computer or the disc?

Instead of getting rid of Lindows should I get a partition like you are all talking about? Also, would Lindows be able to install it?
Or should I try and do what bad Ronald said in post #12?
And before I do anything bad Ronald said to get Knoppix, but would I need that even if I have the Lindows disc? Thanks!

EDIT: And would it be a good idea to just get a new hard drive like 40GB? And where could I find a cheap, possibly used one?
By default, Linux (and presumably Lindows which, afaik, is Linux + Wine) will create multiple partitions. One for virtual memory, another for programs, &c.

Two hard drives (one for each OS) does help avoid making a mess. It is also hard to predict how much space you will need for each partition in advance: installing just one near-future game (several Gb?) can throw your whole prediction out of whack ;)

Windows XP has a decent built-in GUI for dealing with partitions.

Top Bottom