1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A little confused about all the "this is not Civ 4" criticism

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Becephalus, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Balerune

Balerune Prince

Here here.

Moderator Action: spam link deleted, please make constructive posts.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

2. cembandit

cembandit Warlord

AI needs a lot of work, naval/ embarkation especially.

3. OliverFA

OliverFA Chieftain

I agree. Plus I think it's not true to say that many posters are mistaking game deep and game complexity. A game can be deep and have many options without being complicated. Civ 4 was not complicated. Civ 4 was complete.

4. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

Pardon? You quoted a post of mine and wrote this in response, but I don't know what you're talking about, it doesn't seem related to my post at all.

What does "consolified" mean? Made like a console game?

Think whatever you want, it's no skin off my back if you hate the game. But me having a different opinion than you is not "failing to admit" anything, or "not being serious" either. :rolleyes: :lol:

5. Hrundi

Hrundi Chieftain

It can be a great game, but the problems with it are rather simple:
    The AI needs fixing, and the tradeoffs between expansionism, conquest and growing a small empire, and how these apply to income, science and production need to be reweighed.

It's not a matter of Civ V isn't Civ IV, but simply that these things worked better in the previous version. If the new mechanics eventually pull it off, and perhaps improve on the gameplay that we had in the previous version, then almost nobody would complain.

6. Jakt

Jakt Chieftain

When Civ II came out, I thought it was a terrific improvement over the original. When Civ III came out, I wasn't immediately smitten, but I grew to love it over the years. When Civ IV came out, I didn't "get it", and even complained about it on these boards when it first came out. With BTS and all the patches, I think it's a terrific game. Today, Civ V is here, and I'm in the same state I was with the previous two games. I don't love the game yet. There's a need for patches and the inevitable expansions. I'll probably embrace this game over time.

7. So?

So? Chieftain

Unless you started on a totally isolated island, you could do just fine in IV. I'm sure you could put together an economy that could field 10 transports and 40 units. Just because it required effort and planning didn't make it impossible.

8. Becephalus

Becephalus King

Believe it or not I did actually throw my Moo3 Cd in the microwave. It still have my original media for the first two and even played Moo2 for a wek earlier this year.

Maybe I will take a look at MOO3 again... :mad:

9. teks

teks Prince

I put MOO2 in a microwave. I still play MOO here and there. I didn't even glance at MOO3 since I saw the downward spiral. Its still better then galactic civ, which is the single more boring strategy game I ever played.

Back to boats. Embarking should definitely cost maintence, or possibly even a small one-time fee. It is expensive to move units across the sea.
    I think civ4 really did not nail naval battles. It takes a lot of resources to make a navy, plus you need to build several transports (which were not cheap) plus the actual invading army, and planes, and oops I'm broke. Meanwhile the defender built a defensive navy, and more military units, which wont matter much since they can all converge instantly on the spot you land thanks to unlimited railroads.
    For the same money I could have broke out more research, and economy, which is why I lost interest late game.
    Now I'm not saying civ 5 got it right. whoever posted about subs getting bombarded...eww, not good. I think it makes more sense that ships don't melee. Ramming speed!!! Triremes should melee. Possibly give wooden ships melee, so they can 'board' enemy ships.

10. Lakart

Lakart Chieftain

The only thing I dislike about Civ V is the bugs, and you get that in every new game. The rest devours every second of spare time I have just like a Civ game should. Even if bugs get overlooked and not fixed/patched it happens in other games too, and I still like the game as a whole.