A little guidance please.

FlyingSwan

King
Hav,nt played this game for a couple of years and forgot how bloody brilliant it is!anyway I have a few questions on my latest game.

The story so far..playing as Charadon with an awfull start,only 1 city site enclosed by mountains and the Guardian of the pristine pass,riverside plain,tundra deer and furs in my BFC.Luckily I had a very close neighbour-Beeri Bawl which I defeated with beastmen and the world spell taking two good citys.

The Elohim were next to Beeri and with my pack of Promoted beastmen and Lucien decided to chance my arm at taking Cadir Abbey.I was,nt too confident at the chance of success as I was facing axemen,but the RNG was with me and I Took the city but with huge losses and with no hope of holding on to it.

The elohim refused to talk peace,luckily I had the Seven Pines in Berri,s old capitol so I forced a peace-very jammy:D.

The elohim have two citys left,one is next to Archeron so will probably get cultured to death,but the new capitol I want to take.

So questions...I guess I,l research Bronze working for axemen vs axemen,but to improve my chances should I go down the magic route for adepts or the construction route for catapults or just build multiple training yards for mass axemen?

Ive no idea if I have horses as there has,nt been a need to tech animal husbandry.

The other question is about the seven pines-can I use it multiple times?

With the guardians of the pristine pass,because Charadon starts at peace with the Barbs their not a problem at the moment,but if I remember right there comes a time when they declare war on you,when is that?

Ive enclosed a save,its the "O" patch I believe with no other mods.The level is emporer/normal speed on Erubus.

View attachment 375356

Would appreciate any input as Im a little rusty on my tech path for example.

Flyingswan.

roughly
axe are not enough vs axes especially as elohim have defender iirc.
I always prefer mages.. but...
adepts will depend on your mana nodes.
for it to help you you'll need:
entropy or shadow(?)
and if you expect to have soon mages (so much more tech) and got fire or air it will help.

if you can snatch deception.. and get gibbon goetia.... then adepts/mages are better: get air node,

otherwise, iirc catapults is the quickest way. (but you'll need to prepare a road toward your ennemy.

regarding seven pines: no idea
regarding war with barbs : it happens when you become too successful; but I don't remember the exact criteria

Charadon really struggles in vanilla, but you're doing the right thing. Axes will definitely help, but you need to get collateral ASAP. Either catapults or fire mages -- catas are probably better because you'll be wanting to spend your money to upgrade your slaves into beastmen -> axemen once you get undercouncil. The arcane line is very beaker intensive, which charadon will struggle with, and you'll already have slow axemen stacks anyway.

As for barbs: they DoW when you are leading and have 50% more score than the next highest in the game. If you can game the system to keep below this you can remain at peace for a big portion of the game. Cities are a big part of your score IIRC so razing or giving them away to friends works quite well to keep your score under control.

I'd recommend you play either More Naval AI or Extramodmod, and avoid Erebus mapscript like the plague. this should increase your enjoyment tenfold XD

Get council of esus/undercouncil/slavery with mage support, steamroll with fresh troops from pillage gold

Mages are a waste of time in base, especially if you have no traits to help them out.
Seven Pines can only be used once, and must be in your culture (indeed, IIRC it must be connected by road).

Just re-installed FFH2 on another cpu and downloaded patch "O".Has this been updated? as Ive seen this cool ghost ship I never saw before.

Quick Q,are there any more patches players would recomend?(and where to DL them),and which map scripts do people mainly play on?and are there any "Erebus" maps that players use(Im looking for ones that are small/standard size-and that you can easily open as a zip file).As it seems the erebus default random maps throw out too many unplayable maps-whats the alternative to get "erebus style" maps I guess is what im asking.thanks

@Gekko thanks,but ive tried to install these before,unfortunately they are beyond my cpu capabilitys and my patience to get them to work.

not sure what you mean, performance is better than vanilla ffh2 and to install you just need to extract the files to the ffh2 folder

There are three modmods I'd recommend, in no particular order:

* More Naval AI (MNAI)- vastly improved AI, but the game is otherwise mostly unchanged from vanilla.

* Erebus in the Balance (EitB)- somewhat improved AI (but still pretty bad), many balance changes which I find make the game much more enjoyable. Built with multiplayer in mind.

* ExtraModMod (EMM)- includes features from several modmods, including MNAI and EitB. A lot of people enjoy it, personally I'm not convinced all of the additions play very well each other all the time.

As for maps, there are several good scripts. Just search around this forum, they're posted somewhere.

@gekko,what I mean is Ive no clue how too extract files and add to other folders etc.I looked at an installation guide-it may as well of been in cantonese.Im sure if I sit down and concentrate I could do it,but idealy I was looking for a map or mod I could double clk on and it would install automatically-like the NC games in the CIV4 forum.

Sorry to be a pain.When I last installed FFh and a patch there were three new features that included your empire revolting and creating early colonies/vassals.It also had a Giant ape monster that appeared from time to time IIRC.Is there a link to this other patch?or was it a mod that I did manage to install last time...Ive searched the forums for a patch "p" but only came up with an unofficial update to it,not the original download-any chance of a link?again sorry im such a technophobe.

MNAI (my mod) comes with an installer. Pretty sure that the others mentioned by BobCW also have installers (though I could be wrong).

The Giant Ape is part of base FFH though a relatively rare occurrence in my experience.

Empire revolting sounds like the Revolutions option (an interesting mechanic that I merged into MNAI but which was never really fleshed out to be very fun). You have to select it under Custom Game Options though.

When you start playing a new mod, be sure to use the Play Now selection. That will make sure that you dont accidentally start a game with unwanted options enabled.

@Tholal.Yes it must of been that-MNAI.I couldnt get my head round the revolutions,but IIRC there were two new other options that I liked.So do I need the "unofficial patch p" after ive installed MNAI?

EDIT.Just downloaded the 1st jan.2015 MNAI,im assuming I dont need anything else.Nice and easy to install,thanks ever so much :goodjob:

EDIT.Was trying to play the FFH2 challenges but couldnt load them.Is that because I dont have the older version of MNAI?If I download the older version will it mess up the one I just installed?

A quick Q on the governers manor mechanics,If I understand it correctly you get +1 hammer for an unhappy citizen-which is great-basically grow your citys as big as possible.The question is whether its worth growing past your happy cap for the extra hammers?im thinking whipping too much,not having military protection in a city etc,etc-or would that be counter productive?

It's probably counterproductive if you have a tile that would provide more than just 1 hammer.

Yeah,after some thought,it was probably a dumb Q,but I wasnt sure if the game mechanics may be different for the Calabim.The governers manor gives you 1:mad: when you build it so I thought :mad: over the :)cap could of been a good thing with the building.IIRC there maybe a wonder that gives some kind of bonus to :mad: in citys-gonna check now.

The pillars of chains world wonder gives 1H per :mad: as well.It also says it negates the effect of civic anger,so does that mean that you could grow into unhappiness infinately?

No. Civic anger is when other players adopt a certain civic (Emancipation in base, Liberty IIRC in FFH), so PoC eliminates that.

Whether or not it is good play is not an overall question to ask. Remember that each pop costs 2fpt, ~1gpt, can be beneficial for unit-support and a number of esoteric cases also have per-pop effects (WW, Blight, Garrison). But if you're a size above the cap, unhappy pop's food cost is ignored when building foodhammer units. So it depends. I never put my cities on avoid growth, personally, and disable avoid unhappy if the modmod is annoying enough to enable it by default. But I wouldn't try to keep my cities growing if they were a size above as Calabim - more likely I'd start to reprioritize improvements and so on. But it isn't actively bad, generally speaking.

Thanks.The other UB is the breeding pit.In the capitol would you build a granery-assuming you have corn-or a breeding pit 1st.I notice granerys/smokehouses only give 20% storage after growth,as opposed to 50% in BTS.Im thinking breeding pit 1st.

I think Ive got the Calabims world spell sussed out,basically time it to max your happy cap in the early game for your 1st settler.

Buildings in FFH are generally suboptimal, compared to other options. But yeah, Breeding Pit.

Top Bottom