A little help on Vassalage

ATC1983

Chieftain
Can anybody explain what, when you take an AI Vassal, what the % parameters are when you hover the mouse over that AI's name? This would be something like "Land: 21% of original, free at 50%" and "population" etc. Do these mean that if the AI gets 50% or more of their master's land and population they automatically break free? Do both conditions have to be met to make them free?

Thanks in advance.

Can anybody explain what, when you take an AI Vassal, what the % parameters are when you hover the mouse over that AI's name? This would be something like "Land: 21% of original, free at 50%" and "population" etc. Do these mean that if the AI gets 50% or more of their master's land and population they automatically break free? Do both conditions have to be met to make them free?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, both conditions must be met. Their getting those two conditions doesn't mean they automatically break free, merely that they can. They can also break free if they lose half their cities. This only occurs with capitulated vassals. Peace vassals can break free at any time. This guide discusses the vassal system in depth. Vassals can get complicated and, remember, they can really mess up diplo. Everybody handles them a little differently.

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/strategy/vassals.php

Vassals can get complicated and, remember, they can really mess up diplo. Everybody handles them a little differently.

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/strategy/vassals.php

There are a lot of cases where I feel like I should wipe out, or refuse cap, but just declare peace with them forced off a continent or something, because if everyone hates the new vassal, it'll ruin your diplomacy like mad.

If it's something like the sole heathen in a religous lovefest, I'll just wipe them out, since nobody else will care and maybe score some mutual struggle points.

But then, they might cap to someone else, so I sometimes have to vassal them.

If I do vassal someone uncool, I'll usually get them to switch religions and civics ASAP to gain favor.

This is usually in cases where I am still looking for the possibility of a diplo victory, or trying to get trades and avoid other war and backstabs.

Top Bottom