1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A little lost.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Bleys, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Bleys

Bleys Deity

I was pretty good at Civ IV. I was very active here, played and analyzed games, groups, etc. But 6 has me confused. Just a couple questions.

How do you conquer cities, early, mid and late game? There arent "stacks" anymore, but whats the secret? Attacking, even early, seems futile.

How does religion work? Not really "work," but how do I play without it becoming a problem if I dont want to focus on it.

2. marcopolothefraud

marcopolothefraud Chieftain

1) Cities have 200 HP (even more with Walls). If it's attacked by a melee, anti-cav or cavalry unit and gets to 0 HP, it'll be taken.
    Do you have R&F expansion? If not, attacking early with 3 archers and 3 warriors is pretty effective.

Otherwise, the key is to spam a large army ASAP. "Deity Domination and Timing Attacks" is super helpful.

3. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

The key to attacking cities is with range/siege units, or just make sure your units are strong and support them with a battering ram/siege tower.

For religion, you can basically ignore religion probably 95% of the time and not worry. It can be worth it to play with it to get the bonuses, but if you don't want to, then don't worry. It won't actively hurt you if you don't pay attention to it (until you try to attack a neighbour and they magically have a +10 combat bonus).

BarbarianHunter likes this.
  4. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

The only thing weird about attacking cities may be city walls. I recommend battering rams, they come earliest and are quite effective at taking down city walls. Once the walls are down, attacking with melee units and archer attacks is usually plenty. If you attack early enough, you won't have to deal with walls (the blue bar on top of the regular health bar).

Religion you can ignore for now. Once you got a handle on basic mechanics, you can try it out. There's some interesting things to do (like choosing reliquaries and using relics to go for a cultural victory).

5. criZp

criZp Emperor

cities have a green health bar which represents hit points. bring that to 0 and have a melee unit move into the city, like the other guy said.

the blue health bar is the hit points of the walls (or urban fortifications). walls significantly reduces the damage dealt by non-ranged units, and moderately reduces damage dealt by archer-type units (including upgrades like crossbows). only siege units and ranged ships do full damage to walls.

you need to bring the wall HP down to 0 first, before you can do damage to the city itself.

if you surround a city with zone of control from your units then the city won't be able to heal turn by turn.

the battering ram unit allows adjacent melee units to do full damage against the walls (that is, no damage reduction), while the siege tower allows adjacent units to ignore the walls and attack the city immediately.

BASICLY: use ranged units (preferably siege units) for damage. always bring some melee units to do the actual city center capture at the end. melee units combined with battering ram/siege tower can also do good damage, and perhaps eliminate the need for dedicated siege units.

if an opponent puts down a city in a spot where you don't want it: capture it before it can build walls, and save yourself alot of effort.

6. Spudsie74

Spudsie74 Warlord

Blast the city with ranged or deige units until the defence is very low (<5). You have to use a melee or cavalry nit to capture it (or, in a pinch a scout). Religion is (IMO) an accessory, not required. It will give you some nice perks, and it always fun to have a theocratic, despotic, civ trouncing all comers. Fun, but not needed, if faced by an AI spamming religious units, just DOW the offender, and it is easy to kill all religious units quickly, as they have no defense against non-religious attacks (melee for sure, never used a ranged unit against an apostle... you may have to whittle it down if using archers or the like). One other thing about religion (I do like to get a religion, but it is an adjunct to winning, not a requirement). At times, even if I have a religion, I will choose not to expend much effort preventing conversion of my cities...the faith can be used for lots of things, and sometimes, another religion offers some (reduced) advantages...a converted city gets the benefit of non-founder beliefs, which can actually help, or at least not hinder your game.

One option is, as a newbie, play IGNORING (or not worrying about) religion, and work on learning the other dynamics (districts, trade, civics, yada, yada, yada). SOMEONE will start a religion, and spread it, and it can be quite instructive to see the effect (or lack of it). I was initially intimidated by Apostle spam, but they are easy to kill with combat units (just dow). If you DO go for a religion, I like to use it to do something (culture, science, gold, buildings, wonders....almost anything except just building more religious units. My "go to" is a tennet that gives a bonus for shrines & temples (a la choral music), a religious building, one for gold (tithe, or 2 gold/city), and one more (I like extra strength or range spreading religion,or cheaper religious units. Getting all 4 gives you an era score bonus. In for a penny, in for a pound.

Hope you like Civ 6. :p

7. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

Reading this thread, a thought just popped into my head: If you bring both a Battering Ram and a Siege Tower, do your attacks do full damage to the walls or bypass them completely? In other words, which support unit takes precedence over the other?

8. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

Since the religious units are on a separate layer from the military units, I'm pretty sure you just have to move the ranged unit on top of the religious unit and click "Condemn Heretic" (in R&F).

9. Spudsie74

Spudsie74 Warlord

Right you are....I still don't know if you can pot-shoot one with an archer.

10. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Given the precedents in terms of code from FXS, I wouldn't be surprised if they fight each other instead of the city or walls... :rolleyes:

Did you try the combo?

11. Bleys

Bleys Deity

Excellent responses guy, as usual on this forum.

I am getting the hang of it. It takes practice to tech properly, trying to get as many eurekas as possible.

Thank you very much though, this helps a LOT. I only have vanilla with a couple extra civs like Monty and another, will get R&F when my game budget can handle it, lol, then I am sure I will be back with more questions.

Is it practical to conquer City States?

12. Hactar

Hactar Chieftain

Absolutely. Although I would consider whether their suzerain bonus is worthwhile first. Stockholm, Kumasi, Antananarivo ... might let them live since the bonuses are so good. Preslav, most religious ones except maybe Yerevan if going religious, etc... fire away.

13. myclan

myclan Prince

battering ram do full damage to the wall while siege tower do full damage to the city. So they are actually great combo, do full damage to wall and city at the same time