Discussion in 'Civ3 - Multi-site Demo Game: High Council' started by Octavian X, Jul 29, 2003.
This is discussion spawned from GCA's previous message.
This is our response so far:
I like it very much.
This war is disadvantaging us all. Lets finish expansion, and catch up with everyone else.
Then again, as Trip brought up in a chat with me, if we were to have peace with GCA, they could use their larger production capacity to build up for a new offensive.
yeah no peaace just yet
Personally, I think you're asking for them to rain Hell down upon us. Stating that Tech trading is impossible with a warring Nation is the right approach, but take out that demand of a border at BoP. Once they read that arrogant proposal, they'll just laugh and send their troops. Keep that part of our concern for the Peace Negotiations. Let them find out about it later. We can stand there with our chest out and our head held high when we give them that reply, but when the smile and attack us, we will have to run for the hills.
Cyc raises a good point.
If we are uncertain about their willingness to accept BoP as the border, then perhaps we should consider holding that back until later in the process.
It may be more difficult for them to say no to the border after they've already started thinking of the benefits of peace.
I agree, remove that part part about the location of a border.
I think we should first explore the possibility of the tech trade with Poly and Elucida. If that succeeds than there is very little to gain from this peace settlement, except for a little time. If we ARE going to settle for peace, though, I think it's best to indeed express our demands a bit later.
I think this is where we need to decide, as a team, in which direction we wish to head.
Then, we can better decide which face to put forward to all of our neighbors, as well as what objectives we hope to reach and when.
So, other than the part about removing the demand for a BoP border, are we going to still send this message? I expect they are getting a bit impatient...
I would not be opposed to discussing peace at this time. After all, we would be foolish to not consider all possible courses of action.
However, they will likely not be in much of a conciliatory mood since they have an army in our backyard and believe that we are in no position to make demands. Nonetheless, let us begin peace talks and see where they lead us. If anything, they may buy us some precious time to advance some swordsmen to the front where we can eliminate that army.
To answer your question, I would certainly respond to them and be nonspecific with our intentions. In negotiations, it's always better to let the other guy start first. Simply state the desire to end this war that is draining too many of our resources and preventing us from keeping up with the other nations on the other side of the world.
NOTE: I would recommend NOT mentioning this to Apolyton. If we don't mention it to APO, I bet they find out from GCA. If so, this would strongly indicate an ongoing cooperation between the two of them.
May I remind Mr. President of the (intermediate) results of the warring poll, which shows that more than half of our nation still wants to see the war with GCA to go on?
Citizens change their minds, Plux. It's always good to have the option open. I voted for war (with an alliance) in that thread, but I think peace talks are fine. It probally won't get anywhere, but what would we lose if they fail?
FYI, I am against trade talks during war, though. That would get my 'embassy closed' statement.
well, serious peace talks with the intention of a lasting peace and ongoing war do not go together imho, and I don't think you can ignore the outcome of the poll 'because ppl can change their minds'. The poll was started five days ago!
I'm ok with peace talks just to see what GCA's attitude in them is, but I would like to see the war to continue since we are a militaristic civ and we should make use of our trait. I don't we are without a chance yet.
I don't believe anyone voted for war at all costs, and as of this moment, we do not yet have a firm alliance with Apolyton which was the pre-requisite for continued fighting according to the poll in question.
I think it would be prudent to explore the option of peace while concurrently exploring the option of securing an alliance with Apolyton. To neglect one of these options over the other could force our hand into a situation that we would rather avoid.
Separate names with a comma.